Forums Kongregate

MMOs Are Ruining Kongregate... page 12

494 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by PaperWario:

I just came to the forums looking for a topic like this after every other game I clicked on was one of those crappy mmos.

How do they manage to always have such high ratings?

It’s actually been a while since an MMO was badged. They’re rated high because the silent majority like them.

Flag Post

I’m ambivalent to MMOs on Kong, really. Although I doubt we can say that they are really ‘Ruining’ Kongregate when much worse happens on the forums all the time.

Off-Topic: It’s like /b/, Except never funny. Or Fun. Or Cool. Or any positive adjective, really. It’s just a Sh[yay]hole of people trying to flash their e-peens and mock other factions.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

They’re rated high because the silent majority like them.

Man, it hasn’t even been one page since I showed that that’s not the case.

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/261944-mmos-are-ruining-kongregate?page=11#posts-6448928

Flag Post
Originally posted by PaperWario:

How do they manage to always have such high ratings?

Bots, bribes, begging, buddies…

Lots and lots of little buzzys bs.

Flag Post

I just wish they wouldn’t give them badges.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pykrete:

They’re rated high because the silent majority like them.

Man, it hasn’t even been one page since I showed that that’s not the case.

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/261944-mmos-are-ruining-kongregate?page=11#posts-6448928

For them to be badged, they have to be “rated highly” in that sense.

Flag Post

I used to be a huge Kong gamer back when I was broke and in college. I have all the original cards from the Kong game back when that was a “thing” and I was active in the chats. Now it seems like every other game on here is a pay-to-win, energy based MMO clone. I remember when getting multiplayer support on kong was a new cool thing, but now it seems to have taken over.I wish Kong would split the site so that single player games and MMOs were not on the same place mixed up. I wouldn’t mind the MMOs so much if it wasn’t for the cool down telling me how long I can play and that I have to come back at a certain time. I’ve almost gotten into a few of them but that wall is always there to stop the fun. (Clash of the Dragons and Cave Hero I am looking at you!) Kinda sad that this is the way most developers are going but like someone else said, that is capitalism for you.

Flag Post

No MMO is on the first page of /badges, just so you know. It’s really not as bad as people seem to think it is. Are MMOs getting a seemingly disproportionate amount of front page advertising? Yes. That’s is also a little bit of business. But a few things:

1. As I pointed out, the front page ads aren’t as bad as they appear.
2. No MMO has been badged in like, 2 weeks.
3. All the MMOs are getting badged reasonably.

Flag Post

@ advocatus: just because that’s the way it is now, doesn’t mean that’s the way it was. and just because points 1 2 3 are true now, doesn’t mean they were true in the recent period while this thread began to surge in activity again.

we really can’t be living in such a short-sighted world, can we? ::rolls eyes::

Flag Post

Why do you want to dwell on the past? Clearly things are better, so why can’t you be happy with what’s going on right now? :s

If things get bad again, then go ahead and by all means continue to bitch about MMOs. But it’s not an issue, is it?

Flag Post

Why do you so rigorously defend these types of MMOs, anyways? Seems like I see adv0catus in every single thread about this subject immediately jumping to defend the blatantly exploitative games which openly sell power and have very little originality.

Not going to go all conspiracy theorist here, but it seems like you have a stake in all this.

Flag Post

Or he’s just a realist.

Flag Post

Please provide evidence for your accusations.

Flag Post
For them to be badged, they have to be “rated highly” in that sense.

I’m aware. What I was objecting to is that they were somehow a “silent majority” like you said, when they observably aren’t.

Hell, compare to that list I showed: Death vs. Monstars 2 is already at 13k ratings, 3k of which happened since last night. It’s been on the site for a hair over one week, badged for one day, and it’s already surpassed most of the MMO’s in number of times rated.

Flag Post

Games don’t need a terribly large number of ratings.

number of ratings =/= rating =/= time on site

Flag Post

adv0, you’re missing the point.

Pykrete’s evidence says that only fans of MMOs rate MMOs. That is, of course every MMO is going to be rated highly—because everyone who is rating MMOs is going to rate them highly. Pykrete argues that the people rating MMOs is not a representative sample of the population of Kongregate players.

Of course, this is hardly a new phenomenon; it was argued as early as 2010.

I’m not against MMOs in general, but the most recent ones have been especially bad in having virtually no actual gameplay.

Flag Post

That’s no different then the people that rate a game highly for the developer.

Flag Post

Well, that makes sense.

MMOs are a very special genre; most people either love them or hate them. Those who dislike them don’t even bother loading and rating them, thus their rating only reflects the thoughts of those who like the genre.

It’s like going into a bookstore the day a new Harry Potter book is out and asking people around if they think Harry Potter is good. If it was a 5-stars, Kong rating style, the book would surely get over 4 stars.

So yeah, the rating in MMOs may not be as accurate as those from other genres, but I still fail to see how badging a couple and advertising them to earn money is ruining the site.

There are 100 listed MMOs in the site and about the same ammount of total badges for multiplayer (not necessarily MMO) games, over 63,000 total games and more than 2,000 badges. Do your math.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:

[…]but I still fail to see how badging a couple and advertising them to earn money is ruining the site.

Because Kongregate isn’t a business!

Flag Post
That’s no different then the people that rate a game highly for the developer.

Which, in practice, isn’t nearly as much of an observable and rampant problem. The main reason why being that Kong doesn’t noticeably filter your visible games by developer — or if it does, to nowhere near the degree that it’ll obscure entire genres.

Flag Post

“ruining the site” is really only the opinion of the thread starter. or at least, it doesn’t reflect the attitude of everyone posting in this thread. it may be shared by a few people. there is an (imho) valid perception that pushing the ‘cash-grab MMOs’ front-and-center was affecting users’ experience with the site in a negative way (hence the backlash by members of the community). Whether “negative way” = “ruining the site” or not doesn’t matter… it’s just semantics. the real complaint is that people didn’t like the (kong’s) behavior they were witnessing. you have to read between the lines a bit…

“reflecting on the past” – no i am not. i am merely pointing out that just because something is as it is now, doesn’t mean that the past no longer matters or that it wasn’t true back then. it may be a happy coincidence that no shitty ‘cash-grab MMOs’ have been badged in the last 2 or 3 weeks. it may be kong has changed their stance. it may be both, it may be neither. my point is that you don’t really know that something is “fixed” on such a short time scale. that’s all i was saying. it’s not yet realistic to say that everything is better. :)

Flag Post

All those developers could stand to watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMBeLrZoyw

Since literally all of them violate the big rules, like selling power. It’s not only annoying to the players, but it’s bad business.

Flag Post
Whether “negative way” = “ruining the site” or not doesn’t matter… it’s just semantics. the real complaint is that people didn’t like the (kong’s) behavior they were witnessing. you have to read between the lines a bit…

I understand that, but among all these complains, there isn’t a single suggestion for an alternative. You can’t simply come and say “Hey, Kong, I hate the MMO spam. Remove them and go bankrupt.”, since that would actually ruin the site for everyone.

Of course, we’d all love an ads-free, pay-to-win-free Kongregate, but we also need to understand that Kong needs to make money and those things earn them money which, in the end, allows them to host and serve thousands of games for us to play for free.

The other option would be a subscription-based site where you don’t get access to the games unless you pay.
If you consider those options, you’ll notice that having a couple of annoying “Hey, play this stupid MMO” ads 8in the form of featured games or badges) in the site is a cheap price for having access to the rest of the site’s content.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:
Whether “negative way” = “ruining the site” or not doesn’t matter… it’s just semantics. the real complaint is that people didn’t like the (kong’s) behavior they were witnessing. you have to read between the lines a bit…

I understand that, but among all these complains, there isn’t a single suggestion for an alternative. You can’t simply come and say “Hey, Kong, I hate the MMO spam. Remove them and go bankrupt.”, since that would actually ruin the site for everyone.

Of course, we’d all love an ads-free, pay-to-win-free Kongregate, but we also need to understand that Kong needs to make money and those things earn them money which, in the end, allows them to host and serve thousands of games for us to play for free.

The other option would be a subscription-based site where you don’t get access to the games unless you pay.
If you consider those options, you’ll notice that having a couple of annoying “Hey, play this stupid MMO” ads 8in the form of featured games or badges) in the site is a cheap price for having access to the rest of the site’s content.

Kong got along just fine without this bullshit before Gamestop took over. Not every exploitative tactic can be justified by “it’s just good business”.

Flag Post

Please provide evidence for your accusations.

TheSilenT, I’m waiting.