Forums Kongregate

MMOs Are Ruining Kongregate... page 14

494 posts

Flag Post

Facebook game =/= Mmo lol

Browserbased Mmos are rare and hard to make cause a true good game needs a good team of developers/lots of players/lots of servers plus mmo is a different type of game – people dedicate months/years to.

Subscribtion is the other alternative but it doesn’t work out as well as it takes longer for the user to decide to pay. (I played Runescape for 5 months before paying)

Demo mode but then that wouldn’t have as much badge possibility

#of plays and add revenue. With energy system it inflates the number of plays so high. I mean i may play a tower defense game 3 hrs or more in one sitting and then not really add to the number of plays til another 3hr session. But I probably added many plays to Legacy of a Thousand suns playing 2-5 minutes at a time trying to get the badge still have 2m more damage to go lol….

Anyway look up kongregate virtual goods strategy- yes they are pay 2 win but the statistics says less than 2% and in many cases less than .5% of users pay but the ones that do pay are puttin lots of money in some 100+ dollars.

Though I wish some games didn’t have auto 1/5 because they have kreds or are featured. -Runespell Saga is a pro game but I bet people rate it down because it sells faster exp and silver (or maybe im just wierd. Poker+solitare+levelingup+combat+3 star system)

But yea mafia wars types games are all over fb and they require logging in every day! I prefer playing whenever I want and as long as I want. Maybe 1hr one day 12hrs other days lol.

Flag Post

I just made a suggestion to add “Pay to Win” as a tag for games, having that tag would make an easy way to avoid those games, which seems to be what a lot of people here want to do.

please support the addition of a “Pay to Win” tag!

Flag Post

When almost half of “Top Monthly Games” is tagged “Multiplayer” or “MMO”, something is wrong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Moonfrost:

When almost half of “Top Monthly Games” is tagged “Multiplayer” or “MMO”, something is wrong.

Let’s analyse that, shall we.

Wartune; Multiplayer, Fantasy, City
Stop GMO; Fighting
Takeover; Strategy, Upgrades, War
Cloud Wars; Strategy, Cell, RTS
Arkandian Explorer; RPG, Adventure, Protector
Siegius Arena; Arena Combat, Fighting, Action
Miscrits; Pet, Multiplayer
Pocket Creature PVP; Strategy, Upgrades
Flightless; Platform, Puzzle
Hordes and Lords; war, Strategy, Fantasy
American Racing; Racing, Upgrades, 3D
Astroflux; Shooter, Space, Multiplayer
Mecha Arena; Robot, Arena Combat, Upgrades
Home Sheep Home 2: Lost Underground; Action, Platform, Physics
They Took Our Candy; Halloween, Side Scrolling

Frequency of Tags (with 15 games, total):
Multiplayer; 3 = 20%
Fantasy; 2 = 13.3%
City; 1 = 6.6%
Fighting; 2 = 13.3%
Strategy; 4 = 26.6%
Upgrades; 4 = 26.6%
War; 2 = 13.3%
Cell; 1 = 6.6%
RTS; 1 = 6.6%
RPG; 1 = 6.6%
Adventure; 1 = 6.6%
Protector; 1 = 6.6%
Arena Combat; 2 = 13.3%
Action; 2 = 13.3%
Pet; 1 = 6.6%
Platform; 2 = 13.3%
Puzzle; 1 = 6.6%
Racing; 1 = 6.6%
3D; 1 = 6.6%
Shooter; 1 = 6.6%
Space; 1 = 6.6%
Robot; 1 = 6.6%
Physics; 1 = 6.6%
Halloween; 1 = 6.6%
Side Scrolling; 1 = 6.6%

Observations:

1. 20% of games have the “Multiplayer” tag, which is represented by 3 games.
2. 26.6%, which is 4 games, have either the “Strategy” or “Upgrades” tag, with Takeover being the only games with both tags.

Flag Post

With the difference that the MMOs stand out so much more because they really are awful. I don’t mind seeing 4 strategy games in the top monthly games list. I get viscerally angry when I see another generic awful mmo gain time in the spotlight. That’s not the only reason why they’re annoying though – the kong team feels the need to clog the featured games box with a pile of these bad games instead of actual fun games. They get limited-time achievements in other games, and those achievements are advertised in the chat box. Sometimes, the entire background of games is changed for some mmo ad. There’s a friggin’ box next to the comments section dedicated to endorsing bad mmos. And why are they bad?

No game – and clicking “fight” and watching a number go up is not a game.
Shameless money grubbing. Every turn you make, they ask you to fork over kreds for some useless item.
Poorly made – a card game that uses more resources in the menu screen than a prime number solver that I wrote. Right.

And before you say they can be easily ignored: yeah, I can ignore them, but the advertising space that’s wasted on bad games that I’m ignoring could have been used to serve me great games with actual gameplay. I kinda miss the days when card challenges would appear in the chat box that informed me of some platformer that I could get a card for playing.

Flag Post

I don’t remember the last time an MMO was featured in a contest? The current one is Fairway Solitaire. The last one was UA3, before that… Axe had a thing with Burrito Bison. The 2k badge event had a bunch of games, includes Snakes on a Cartesian Plane and a Papa’s game.

Flag Post

I’m talking about the achievements where you get an item in an MMO if you complete them. They take up undue space, and there definitely have been MMOs with contest achievements in the past.

Flag Post

Friday Challenges?

Flag Post

That’s one item in the featured game list. On one day. Compare that to 3-5 persistent MMOs or MMO reward challenges being advertised in that box on any given day.

Flag Post

Speaking of the devil…

Flag Post

I don’t mind MMOs, but when they are advertising about new content..on the freaking front page of kongregate? I could give two shits. I understand some games eventually need premium content. It happens to every game. Transformice went for a few years without any premium stuff, now they do. I’m expecting CS portable to have some too. I guess it just happens to every game.

Point is premium content isn’t bad, it’s the obvious money whoring devs that make shitty games that constantly..constantly.. advertise their shit, even when you’re not playing it. You lose? You die? Don’t fret, buy this item and your problems will be over. Want to be powerful? BUY THIS. BUY THAT. I didn’t understand the realm of the mad god promotion. That game has very little premium..like none of it benefits you.

Flag Post

Galaxy Online, while a much more terrible of a game than Legacy of a Thousand Suns, was a much better badge than 1,000 Suns, simply because I was able to earn the medium badge in ~14 hours instead of the 3 days it took to get 1,000 Suns medium badge.

Flag Post

I at least have to give credit to their tech support being speedy. Not necessarily helpful (there was basically no reason whatsoever their suggestion would ever have solved the bug I was reporting and it made my inner programmer die a little), but speedy.

Flag Post

I wouldn’t say ruining the website. If you don’t like them, don’t play them. This goes for those Facebook type games as well. I don’t like how they are getting a good % of new badges, but I’ve only achieved 34% of the total badges, so I got a lot more to earn still…

Flag Post

It’s not just that they’re getting badges, it’s that they’re taking up space that used to be reserved for advertising good, fun games to us. Being able to go on kongregate and have a nice new game waiting on the featured games box was a pleasurable experience that is now tempered with obnoxious advertisements for the stupid things everywhere. Everywhere.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ne0pets22:

It’s not just that they’re getting badges, it’s that they’re taking up space that used to be reserved for advertising good, fun games to us. Being able to go on kongregate and have a nice new game waiting on the featured games box was a pleasurable experience that is now tempered with obnoxious advertisements for the stupid things everywhere. Everywhere.

True, I would rather see good games get popular, rather then boring games I will only play for badges lol.

Flag Post

I’m fine with MMORPG’s being promoted but I just wish they would stop with the goddamn badges on all of them.

Flag Post

But in every 100 players that go for the badges, 1 stays. And for every 100 that stays 1 pays. And for every 100 that pay, one becomes a cash farm. It’s in both the MMO and Kong’s interest to put up with your complainin’, because you still play the games.

Flag Post

Again. As long as the game meets the specification so for badges, it’s going to be badged. The genre doesn’t matter.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

Again. As long as the game meets the specification so for badges, it’s going to be badged. The genre doesn’t matter.

They only put badges on them because they know people wouldn’t try them otherwise.

Flag Post

Greg and raw won’t badge a game if people don’t play it. 2 of the 3 requirements are game plays and ratings. Neither of those will happen if no one plays the game.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kegfarms:

They only put badges on them because they know people wouldn’t try them otherwise.

That’s a negative statement about gaming. Are you but a mere sheep?

Flag Post
Originally posted by manstrong:
Originally posted by Kegfarms:

That’s a negative statement about gaming. Are you but a mere sheep?

That’s quite an ironic statement coming from somebody advocating badges added to MMORPGs.

Flag Post

I don’t know if that’s directed at me. I don’t like MMOs. I don’t have a single (recent, at least, in the past 2-4 months) badge from an MMO. I don’t like them, I don’t play them (Wartune seems okay, though, exception). With that being said, I’m being realistic. :)

Flag Post

I think it was directed at me, which is odd. The reason it is odd is because the part about how I’m advocating badges for MMOs I missed. I’m a meh about MMOs. I like Tyrant and Dream World every 2 years but don’t like the city-building-take-4-hours-to-upgrade ones.

I’m not advocating for them to be badged, I just understand why they are. And if those revenue streams keep Kongregate up, I’m all for it.