Forums Kongregate

MMOs Are Ruining Kongregate... page 16

494 posts

Flag Post

They did lift art wholesale, which counted as theft at the courts. But that’s going off topic now – Let’s get back to why MMOs are awful games that get too much publicity.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pykrete:
Just look at the number of gameplays the games have. It means people keep coming back. I know they come back because of the energy system, but it doesn’t really matter.

No, that really does matter. When your number of plays is artificially inflated by entire orders of magnitude by an obstructive mechanic that just repeatedly pulls in the same people over and over, it’s kind of a pointless measure of demand.

If you want a good measure of demand for these games, you’d have to keep track of it by account so as not to count the same small pack of drones hundreds of times.

This remembers me of Backyard Monsters, which log you out after like 10 minutes, and then reloads the entire page if you return, creating a number of “gameplays” completelly false.

I have just got the medium badge for Berserk: Cataclysm. I wonder why this “game” got badges. No gameplay beyond “squad” building and selecting. Then watch the game playing itself, lol.

And now, 2 more sucky MMOs to go, argh.

Im still looking for MMOs in the front page and rating them 1/5. Would we be allowed by the mods to create a forum movement about this?

/ waits for MaistlinRajere screams /

Flag Post

It met the criteria, Marvaddin.

Flag Post

It met the criteria, but it met the gameplay through a method that provided to value to the player. Backyard Monsters met the criteria by cheating with it’s pageview score and prompting the player to bug their friends to play it every two minutes. If all that matters is the end result, we could justify a lot of things – Watergate, the death penalty, etc. MMOs aren’t quite as serious a problem, but saying they met the criteria does not justify their coverage of the site.

Flag Post

To invite friends to play the game is utilizing an API provided by Kongregate. If Kongregate didn’t want games to do that, they wouldn’t have provided the functionality. I can only hope that they have checks and balanced in place to ensure that a game doesn’t get unfairly badged due to inflated game views from that.

Flag Post

It certainly looks like you guys don’t want any mmore MMOs. And I certainly agree with you. The one MMO I played for badges, a while ago — Dream World, excessively tedious and mundane.
Kongregate should seek alternative ways of earning money.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

To invite friends to play the game is utilizing an API provided by Kongregate. If Kongregate didn’t want games to do that, they wouldn’t have provided the functionality. I can only hope that they have checks and balanced in place to ensure that a game doesn’t get unfairly badged due to inflated game views from that.

Kong wanted to give the players of legitimate multiplayer games a way to play with their friends easily. It wasn’t made as a friend spamming tool a la facebook games. Games that prompt you frequently to send friend requests are abusing the API.

Flag Post

Oh my God. Now that Clash of the Dragons thing, which I thought I would never see again, got new badges. Including a hard one. And it involves a bit of playing (at least the game has ‘some’ gameplay) and hours and hours of “wait for your energy bar to replenish”. Oh, wait… did you know you can buy energy refills using real money?

PATHETIC, simply pathetic, there is not another word to describe this try to throw a shameless cashgrab at the badge hunters faces. Kong staff SHOULD be ashamed of this, but, using adv0catus words, I suppose someone met the criteria of being greedy.

Now I officially start to think about quit Kong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Marvaddin:

Oh my God. Now that Clash of the Dragons thing, which I thought I would never see again, got new badges. Including a hard one.

Yeah this is an extra special low. This game has already been promoted through badges, it failed to retain players, and so they’re badging it again! What an amazing idea! Excuse me while I go and cry quietly in a dark corner…

…Seriously though, I don’t actually have a problem with MMOs being on the site or even getting badges. The purpose of badging MMOs is to increase revenue for Kong – fine, I think we all appreciate that. But I think there are two things Kong should do to make this much more acceptable to players:(1) only badge MMOs that are particularly good quality, or that offer real originality, and (2) increase the badging of other non-MMO games too.

It seems that this would solve many people’s complaints. The primary complaint being that a lot of the MMOs are clones of previous games with new (but equally poor) graphics and text, or that they’re just very bad quality and don’t offer much of a gaming experience. If I knew that badged MMOs were good or original, I’d be much more tempted to give them a fair go. The other reason the MMOs are really infuriating at the moment is because it seems like other badges are really slowing down; this is what is giving the impression that MMOs are taking over the world Kongregate. Badges are a really great way to discover new/fun/interesting/unique games and I agree with some other posters that I’d love a few more short-but-fun games to get even just one easy badge. If MMOs are really pulling in enough revenue for Kong to risk alienating their users as they are, then they could perhaps invest a little of this revenue back into the contests etc that could provide an incentive for developers to work on making great free to play games – the thing that the huge majority of Kong users are actually here for. Keep the balance right, and we’ll stick around (and people might even eventually stop complaining).

Flag Post

promoting cashgrabs is one thing, altering their ratings is another. I recently discovered Miscrits which I played like 2 weeks ago or so when it had around 5000 ratings and a 3.X score. Now I checked it again and it only has 1800 ratings, so they deleted a couple of THOUSANDS of votes (most likely all the 1stars). Disgrace, and 4.25 my ass.

Flag Post

Well, of all the other MMOs they can badge, it had to be the one with the longest wait time against play time. This might be one of the longest endurance badges ever. I can handle most MMOs and some I actually enjoy, but this…

Flag Post

Some of MMO’s are really okay, to think of it. To interact with people, run diplomacy and have wars with real people, when talking of strategy games. Really sometimes it greatly enhances the gameplay over that of single-player games. It can even overcome obvious technical imperfections which are highly typical for the MMOs to have, like memory leaks and graphics problems. I could even enjoy playing some of them despite obvious pay-to-win behavior (It’s sometimes even fun to compete with those who rely on their money more than on their skill)
But obviously focusing on MMOs and particularly 5th planet games (imo the worst example of mmo development systems, energy dependence), Kong seriously damages its own fandom, which is formed by the hardcore badge-hunters. Giving 2011s boring CotD two additional endurance badges is really annoying.

Flag Post

I’m so very pleased I’m not one of those dedicated badge-hunter types. Don’t suppose many of those exist nowadays, with all the crap they have to wade through.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NeilSenna:

I’m so very pleased I’m not one of those dedicated badge-hunter types. Don’t suppose many of those exist nowadays, with all the crap they have to wade through.

Yes, sometimes it really sucks. At least when you do get those annoying PBBG (or Papa’s) badges, the wave of relief that washes over you is extremely satisfying.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:

Yes, sometimes it really sucks. At least when you do get those annoying PBBG (or Papa’s) badges, the wave of relief that washes over you is extremely satisfying.

I know that feel, bro.
Nowait, I don’t. ;_; I’d have better luck getting those badges for Super Guitar Maniac Deluxe. (thank goodness not many games like that got badged, I fail so bad at them)

Flag Post
Originally posted by VforVendetta:

I know that feel, bro.
Nowait, I don’t. ;_; I’d have better luck getting those badges for Super Guitar Maniac Deluxe. (thank goodness not many games like that got badged, I fail so bad at them)

Excluding the CotD hard, 40% of my missing badges are rhythm badges… so yeah, I suck at them so much.

Flag Post

I don’t mind badges that are actually too hard for me to get. No way in hell am I going to be able to do some of the crazy shredding in rhythm games, or micromanage enough for the higher tiers of tower defense.

I mind badges that are obnoxiously tedious with no other distinguishing characteristic.

Flag Post

If just starting out, the CotD hard badge can easily take 1-2 weeks.

I cleared zone 3 again at level 400 something(for a craft mat) and even at that level, it took a couple days, and that is just one zone.

It is quite time consuming. I’d probably be raging if I did not already have it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by VforVendetta:

I know that feel, bro.

Excluding the CotD hard, 40% of my missing badges are rhythm badges… so yeah, I suck at them so much.

Interesting, I suck at rhythm games too. And I curse the very moment I see a new Papa’s, Arkandia, Bloons… (repetitive games) released (how many years until next Mardek chapter? Pseudolonewolf should teach these guys that quality is better than quantity).

In fact, I also dislike how Kong estimulate sequels, any Papa’s or Epic War games NEEDS to be badged, looks like. But at least these games have gameplay and are energy free. MMOs at other hand… All the effort to make you spend your real money, all the time, this makes me crazy.

What could motivate the staff to add this hard badge to CotD? Hard? I have some losses, true, but I win 90% of the time (card games always have luck involved, u know). Looks like the hard part is having patience to wait for energy every 7-8 fights. Purely tedious, I have to agree, Pykrete. This is a shame.

Edit: I wonder if there are more badges comimg to Backyard Monsters, Legacy of Heroes, Berserk Cataclysm, TDP4… you know, the worst possible would be an impossible to Sacred Seasons 2. (Tanks God Tyrant has already 4 badges.)

Flag Post

Man, I even liked Tyrant on account of having an actual game in there, and the hard was too much. It’s also right on the bleeding edge of what you could reasonably do without paying.

Flag Post

For the record, the newest Papa’s badge wasn’t badged automatically.

Flag Post

How long was it? A week?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ericzander:

How long was it? A week?

About that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ericzander:

How long was it? A week?

About that.

That’s not the point. The point was that there was never a doubt that the game was going to get badges. Even when people intentionally down-voted the game (a practice I think is abominable, for the record). It doesn’t matter if it takes an hour or a few months, the point is that every Papa’s game (and Epic War, Reincarnation, Bloons, etc.) will always be badged. Badges are (largely) determined by a game’s rating, but rating is meaningless in these situations, because only fans of the game are going to play the game.

I don’t actually hate the Papa’s games—I just think that every game should be judged on its own merits, not by past games in the series or by the reputation of the developer.

Flag Post

Blame the fanbase of those games that blindly rate 5/5, not raw or greg, it’s not their fault.