Forums Kongregate

MMOs Are Ruining Kongregate... page 18

494 posts

Flag Post

This doesn’t relate to the topic of “MMOs are ruining Kongregate”. Perhaps you should move your conversation (since it is rapid posting between 2 people) to a PM or to a thread in Game Design, which would also be a more appropriate forum for discussion like this.

 
Flag Post

Stalked your profile?? You have way too high an opinion of yourself xD

I was posting in this thread months ago, I think I’m allowed to keep up with replies to it.

Is my proposed edit to your liking? Because I’ll go ahead and change my post if so.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

You can’t accept being wrong, can you? You admitted it yourself, you were inaccurate. You said all games with stats API can manipulate ratings when in reality only games with virtual goods can. You weren’t 100% accurate so therefore you were wrong.

This applies to this and that other thread. Also, inb4r@igefe$t. /done

Excuse me? Did you really just try to say that inaccurate and wrong are synonyms? Because they aren’t. Not even close.

Did you also miss this where I explained why logically yes, any game that implements the stats API can use it because any game can be Kreds-enabled (even if it makes no sense)? That’s barely even inaccurate and I still immediately owned up to it. And you have a problem because I “can’t accept being wrong”? lol. Maybe learn the difference between wrong and inaccurate first; thanks.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

This doesn’t relate to the topic of “MMOs are ruining Kongregate”. Perhaps you should move your conversation (since it is rapid posting between 2 people) to a PM or to a thread in Game Design, which would also be a more appropriate forum for discussion like this.

Is there some way to hide all forum posts by a user? I would prefer that as a solution because this guy has zero interest in actual discussion. He’s just stalking my profile in a sad attempt to troll me at this point.

His claims that he’s not are also hilarious. You can read multiple posts by him in the other thread where he admits to digging through all my posts and such.

 
Flag Post

As it happens, I was posting in this thread first – I think it’s pretty reasonable to think I’d continue to follow new replies to it xD Perhaps you were stalking me. I do have beautiful flippy hair, after all.

 
Flag Post

It is possible to remove all posts by a user. It would probably take a century to do so though unless the user had relatively low amount of posts.

If you feel a user is attempting to troll you, you should consider the suggestions I made or possibly stop responding to the user completely. This thread is about “mmos are ruining kongregate”, not really a place to complain about other users.

EDIT You guys can drop by GDR if you want and have the conversation there as well. A lot faster than forums.

 
Flag Post

ffs, mmos arent killing kongregate. they are indeed bringing more people into kongregate.

 
Flag Post

Too many MMO’s, but variety is good!

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by DoomKnight1905:

ffs, mmos arent killing kongregate. they are indeed bringing more people into kongregate.

What kind of people? The 12 year olds who are entertained by that tripe? I came to kong for the community and the quality games. Not to have bad MMOs shoved in my face on the front page. Also, how are they bringing people into kongregate? Some poor sucker is actually looking for an MMO to kill his time and money?

Originally posted by markwinfield1:

Too many MMO’s, but variety is good!

Except there’s no variety. There’s only masses upon masses of cash-grabbing clones that try to suck your money out of your pockets every step that you take. Saying variety is good does not necessarily make it true.

 
Flag Post

I agree, but we still need variety!

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:
Originally posted by delosford:

edit: I also find it very funny that people think conspiracy theories are needed for MMOs to be highly-rated. They probably just have a lot of fans that are effectively addicted to them. Frankly I’m kind of surprised the “Pay money for anything? vote 1 don’t play move on” crowd doesn’t outweigh this more heavily.

No need for conspiracy theories, ZShadow has said point blank that PBBGs have the option of putting a trigger extremely early in the game no later than character creation. What this does is that the game rating is based only on people who reach this trigger, so it disqualified people who just rate it 1/5 and move on before the game loads. He did say this also eliminates them from contention for the weekly and monthly contests.

So the “vote 1 don’t play move on” crowd does actually carry significant weight, they just aren’t counted until a PBBG gets badges. Normally there’s a small rating drop when a game gets badges, but when a PBBG gets badges, the rating normally plummets.

I should note that I’m not in the “MMOs Are Ruining Kongregate” crowd, I just accept them as a necessary evil.

Most important tip to me :D

Now, when looking for MMOs to rate 1/5, I will be sure to let it load, and even create a character. Lets do this, everyone?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Marvaddin:
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:
Originally posted by delosford:

edit: I also find it very funny that people think conspiracy theories are needed for MMOs to be highly-rated. They probably just have a lot of fans that are effectively addicted to them. Frankly I’m kind of surprised the “Pay money for anything? vote 1 don’t play move on” crowd doesn’t outweigh this more heavily.

No need for conspiracy theories, ZShadow has said point blank that PBBGs have the option of putting a trigger extremely early in the game no later than character creation. What this does is that the game rating is based only on people who reach this trigger, so it disqualified people who just rate it 1/5 and move on before the game loads. He did say this also eliminates them from contention for the weekly and monthly contests.

So the “vote 1 don’t play move on” crowd does actually carry significant weight, they just aren’t counted until a PBBG gets badges. Normally there’s a small rating drop when a game gets badges, but when a PBBG gets badges, the rating normally plummets.

I should note that I’m not in the “MMOs Are Ruining Kongregate” crowd, I just accept them as a necessary evil.

Most important tip to me :D

Now, when looking for MMOs to rate 1/5, I will be sure to let it load, and even create a character. Lets do this, everyone?

It will not make a difference.

I think the 1/5 haters are just significantly outmatched by the 5/5 fans. You might knock a rating down .1 or .2 at best, and it still get badged.

 
Flag Post

It will not make a difference.

I think the 1/5 haters are just significantly outmatched by the 5/5 fans. You might knock a rating down .1 or .2 at best, and it still get badged.

And then there’s the matter of the mysterious disappearing ratings on Miscrits.

 
Flag Post

I don’t really care about the MMOs. Sure, I don’t like them, but they’re easy enough to ignore entirely.

No, what’s really ruining Kongregate is the absolute glut of low-quality no-effort shovelware. And sure, I don’t play those either, but the sheer volume of them makes it difficult to find actual good games to play. When 80~% to 95~% of the games on a given page are insipid “dress-up” games or cash-grab knock offs based on the meme du jour, it’s very easy to miss the games that are actual efforts of love made by devs who give a shit about creating something people want to play, or realizing an interesting idea they had.

And yes there is the ratings system, but honestly that’s just a workaround, and a poor one at that. What if people miss a game that’s genuinely fun and interesting and therefore fail to rate it at all? Or more likely, what about people (like me!) who just plain never remember to rate the games they like so others can find them?

tl;dr: Kongregate doesn’t need to cut down on the MMOs. It needs a goddamn spam filter.

 
Flag Post

What’s even worse is when actual games get dumped on because they have the multiplayer tag, because of the negative halo effect that the bad MMOs have on the genre in general. Remember platform racing? If it were released today, the multiplayer tag would have killed it before it even picked up half the players it has today.

 
Flag Post

People who keep bumping this thread are ruining my sanity.

Oh, the irony of that statement.

 
Flag Post

Ok, seriously, what? Ninja wars on the front page? How come games like sonny didn’t get this treatment? How come bad games have infinite license for revival so long as they’re MMOs?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by ne0pets22:

Ok, seriously, what? Ninja wars on the front page? How come games like sonny didn’t get this treatment? How come bad games have infinite license for revival so long as they’re MMOs?

Did Sonny ever update with expanded content?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by ne0pets22:

Ok, seriously, what? Ninja wars on the front page? How come games like sonny didn’t get this treatment? How come bad games have infinite license for revival so long as they’re MMOs?

Did Kongregate offer that premium ad space for free? Did the game developer ask for it for free? Did the developer pay for it?

You shouldn’t assume if you don’t know the dynamics behind a situation. As well, since it has a new expansion, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to advertise it.

 
Flag Post

I pretty much ignore Kongregate now due to the ridiculous amount of terrible MMO games on the front page. I used to be able to see the best games but now I have to avoid anything on the front with a multiplayer tag because 95% of them are freemium crap.

At least on Newgrounds I can tell which ones are the terrible freemium ones right from the start and just glaze over them

 
Flag Post

I don’t really blame anybody for having an MMO on their site, especially not Kongregate. Kongregate was created for the purpose of everyone being able to play a game they will enjoy, and discover new games and meet new people. I think the reason they allow MMO’s is so everyone can have their needs met, I personally have no feelings whatsoever about MMOs, but I think the reason they’re promoting them so heavily is because it’s what people are into nowadays..

The creators of these games just want everyone to have fun playing their game, and they think that if somebody doesn’t like it, they don’t have to play it. It’s just that type of thing where certain people like MMOs, and certain don’t.

Kongregate would never intentionally promote a game you wouldn’t like so heavily, but a game type the general population is in to. I don’t see any problem with it other than to expand people’s horizons, and besides, it’s not like you can’t play other games on Kongregate.

No matter what type of game it is, you just can’t generalize and say: “Oh, no, I hate MMO’s they’re EVIL! All of them are terrible and should be banned from the site!” Because not everyone would agree. I know a few people who LOVE MMOs and won’t play anything else. I guess I’m returning to the same point over and over again, but no matter how bad a developer is, they just want to make something somebody will play.

 
Flag Post

I think people need to take a look at this video to better understand MMOs and the players. It changed my perception, it might change yours as well.

 
Flag Post

Like Alisiiea said, you can’t logically blame Kongregate. They might be making Kongregate objectively worse, but it’s not necessarily Kongregate’s fault. I blame every single person who is incapable of fighting addiction and for some reason rates them 5 and plays them religiously. If those people didn’t do that then there wouldn’t be a problem because there would be no justification to have these cookie cutter pay-2-win/pay-2-play MMOs on the front page or give them badges.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

I think people need to take a look at this video to better understand MMOs and the players. It changed my perception, it might change yours as well.

o.O I honestly wish Emily was lying, but… holy bejeses!

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by SicMirx:
Originally posted by adv0catus:

I think people need to take a look at this video to better understand MMOs and the players. It changed my perception, it might change yours as well.

o.O I honestly wish Emily was lying, but… holy bejeses!

Yeah those numbers are a bit staggering.