Forums Kongregate

MMOs Are Ruining Kongregate... page 5

494 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

I think being competitive counts as part of reasonable gameplay; considering in most of these MMOs, it makes up the majority of the content.

Ehh…it’s hard to say. There are games, like Tyrant, where competition is just inevitable (the game gets incredibly boring after you are done with the missions and you won’t get anything else without dueling). Then, there are games (and lots of them), like Dragons of Atlantis/“empire clone x” where competitive play could easily be ignored since everything could be acquired through solo play, more or less.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there are games that reward you for competitive play (and often rely on this sort of gameplay) and then there are games that don’t (either because competitive play sucks or some other reason).

I guess the best thing to do would be to round up all the MMOs and see where the majority lie. NOT IT!

EDIT: 72 MMOs here.

Flag Post

I think too many people I see here on Kongregate are too nitpicking (and sometimes talked like a jerk), today. Some online games I love and a few of them I hate. What more can I ask about the MMOs? The most important thing is, content. With larger content, people will enjoy it a lot more than any other game had before. I don’t understand why people started complaining about this type of game here. There is nothing wrong with it, but that really depends on the developers with their customer services, timed schedules for updates (on contents or bug fixes), and reputation and loyalty to gamers. I was used to be a rough competitor to other games, but not anymore. I think that was a dumb way for me of doing it, so I decided not to bother with it. If I’m playing an MMO game with bunch of jerks and less gamers who played and treated like adults (such as Platform Racing 2), I stay away from it.

And one of the good things I’m seeing right now is that Kong is being kind enough to give us a free in-game content whenever we win the weekly challenges. I am hoping for more for Crystal Saga or one of those games I know; and I don’t play Kongai anymore, but I think collecting the cards is fun by playing weekly. challenges.

In my other words, you people need to show more love and less hate if you’re trying to look more fun here.

Oh, yeah, I think I found one game that I don’t play it anymore that has to be Sacred Seasons 2; Sacred Seasons 1 & 2 is dumb.

Flag Post

“Free to play” is a concept which is easily manipulated. Free to play what? How much percent of the game should be able to be accessed without paying? There’s no set line, and MMO developers understand this. Unfortunately.

The most important thing is, content.

I’m not sure if you’re arguing this, but MMOs don’t have more content. It simply takes you a lot longer to complete that content due to artificial restrictions.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

“Free to play” is a concept which is easily manipulated. Free to play what? How much percent of the game should be able to be accessed without paying? There’s no set line, and MMO developers understand this. Unfortunately.

The most important thing is, content.

I’m not sure if you’re arguing this, but MMOs don’t have more content. It simply takes you a lot longer to complete that content due to artificial restrictions.

every mmo on here you get the majority of the content for free.

there is some content where the content is just unreasonable for a free player. some games like dream world and backyard monsters are 100% free. in clash of the dragons there are a few booster packs which are not realistic for a free player to get. this might normally be a problem, however, it only really matters if you duel other players. your single player experience is not affected.

there are some games that just lock too much from you. call of gods comes to mind. a few things requires spendiing. even though i personally found the game fun as a free player, i cant deny that you are quite simply at a notable disadvantage across the entire game if you dont spend, but not so much at a disadvantage that the game is unplayable as a free. i like the way the game is balanced for the most part.

my overall point is that while some of the mmo’s lock content from you, the content they do give you is satisfactory enough to still be a great game. if it was all free, then it would even better, but this is unrealistic. they have to make money somehow. unless you know of a system to include micros that does not involve cosmetic rewards(almost nobody wants these) then i dont see where change could come from.

micros need to be in mmo’s. either that or they need to charge you subscription fees, and im pretty sure nobody wants that for games on kong. (they also couldnt host the game on kong if they did that)

Flag Post

Question about MMOs: Where is the balance when it comes to item shops?

Do they release an item shop where none of the items can be farmed and thus, the item shop is the only way to get said item?

Do they release an item shop where ALL of the items can be farmed and thus, scripting becomes a problem?

Or do they do something in-between where some items can be farmed but not all and so scripting does happen but people also must use the item shop to procure certain items?

Personally, I like the second choice. If the developer uses some sort of captcha every so often (like every 25-50 farming attempts) so that scripting can be negated, it would probably be perfect. Those that have the money and are impatient buy their items and the rest farm (at normal rates).

Flag Post

I’m just gonna put my two cents in here….

MMOs (specifically PBBGs) are ruining Kongregate. My main beefs are:

1) “New” PBBGs are usually basically a “texture pack”, if you will, for a previous game. Clash of the Dragons is a ripoff of Heroes of Gaia (which sucked too), and many games ripped off Tyrant (not the worst game ever, but it sucks)

2) If I spend one yoctosecond (Google it) on a game, I get bombarded with undeleteable PMs for updates for that game. Why? I know you can block it, but come on!

3) My biggest one: Instead of making cards for Kongregate’s homegrown CCG, they now offer rewards for PBBGs instead, sometimes by playing other PBBGs!

4) It reminds me of bribery: you can’t get ahead without paying.

5) If you trace this all back far enough, it’s all a ripoff of Facebook games like Farmville and Mafia Wars.

Flag Post

Well… In very very very slight defense… Kongai sucks.

Flag Post

I think that if Kongregate is going to have MMOS on their site they should at least put up some good ones because games like Realm Of The Mad God I find very whack.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ForgingIron:

I’m just gonna put my two cents in here….

MMOs (specifically PBBGs) are ruining Kongregate. My main beefs are:

1) “New” PBBGs are usually basically a “texture pack”, if you will, for a previous game. Clash of the Dragons is a ripoff of Heroes of Gaia (which sucked too), and many games ripped off Tyrant (not the worst game ever, but it sucks)

2) If I spend one yoctosecond (Google it) on a game, I get bombarded with undeleteable PMs for updates for that game. Why? I know you can block it, but come on!

3) My biggest one: Instead of making cards for Kongregate’s homegrown CCG, they now offer rewards for PBBGs instead, sometimes by playing other PBBGs!

4) It reminds me of bribery: you can’t get ahead without paying.

5) If you trace this all back far enough, it’s all a ripoff of Facebook games like Farmville and Mafia Wars.

Lol, I stopped reading at Tyrant sucks. That game is genius and is practically what a good MMO should strive to be.

Flag Post

i think tyrant sucks, its the worst card game ive ever seen.

to each their own.

Flag Post

Yeah, but we are talking about MMOs and how they ruin Kongregate. If anything, Tyrant made Kongregate look better. Now, I could totally be wayyyy off base here but when Tyrant moved from Facebook to Kongregate, many more people played it and synapticon himself said it was more profitable. There’s a reason it’s the most played MMO and game on kongregate. They got the MMO formula down pretty well. Also, it is the third top-rated MMO on the site. Again, could be wayyy off here but I think this synapticon fella is on to something.

Flag Post

tyrant got popular because of a few things.

1. its mostly pvp/raid based, people love those things.

2. deck building is simple, and games are very fast and luck based. it appeals to a wider audience. most people dont want to think too much when playing games. they just want to have fun.

3. such a low max energy compels people to come back frequently throughout the day. while i was earning the badge i pretty much kept tyrant open since it was (at the time) 100 max e, which takes 100 minutes to fill. i didnt feel like opening the game every 100 minutes so i left it open.

4. putting your game on facebook is like the most obvious thing an mmo dev can ever do. people flock to facebook games like their life depends on it.

you still benefit a lot if you spend, but i will agree the game is at least playable for free.

Flag Post
Originally posted by bobby71983:

tyrant got popular because of a few things.

1. its mostly pvp/raid based, people love those things.

2. deck building is simple, and games are very fast and luck based. it appeals to a wider audience. most people dont want to think too much when playing games. they just want to have fun.

3. such a low max energy compels people to come back frequently throughout the day. while i was earning the badge i pretty much kept tyrant open since it was (at the time) 100 max e, which takes 100 minutes to fill. i didnt feel like opening the game every 100 minutes so i left it open.

4. putting your game on facebook is like the most obvious thing an mmo dev can ever do. people flock to facebook games like their life depends on it.

you still benefit a lot if you spend, but i will agree the game is at least playable for free.

Just 1 correction: Not that many people were playing Tyrant on Facebook. If I remember correctly, the MAU dropped substantially from 200k to 20k over the past year. When the game was hosted on kongregate, a swarm of players started playing the game here. On kongregate, I suspect the MAU could be anywhere from 1 mil to 2 mil MAU.

I couldn’t agree more with your first point. Synapticon really knew what he was doing with the PvP and raids. Kongregate gamers, by our very nature, are simply more competitive than your average FB gamer. Lol, if memory serves right, in an interview, he called us “real gamers.” Moar liek real piggy banks waiting to be cracked open, but it’s still all the same.

Flag Post

Lol, I stopped reading at Tyrant sucks. That game is genius and is practically what a good MMO should strive to be.

Really? You stop reading my argument after I state a different opinion on a game than yours?

That’s really fair.

Flag Post

Clash of the Dragons is a ripoff of Heroes of Gaia

You meant another game with either of the two.

Flag Post

Tyrant is a pretty bad game, but not one of the worst offenders.

Kongai might be the worst CCG ever created.

Flag Post

“People don’t want to think too much when playing games. They just want to have fun.”

Makes sense. Warmage: Battlegrounds is a surprisingly fun Hex-based HOMM style game, with lots of strategy with flanking, passing attack, etc. with maybe around 50-60 units, 25-30 spells, lots of character customisations, missions, team missions, 2v2s, 1v1s, AIs and just has many things which appeal to me.

And here’s the thing – it is rated ~3.60. The tutorial is very well made, even though I didn’t need most of it due to prior experience with these type of games (Still taught the finer details well.).

I encourage you guys to give it a go, it’s a great game, although I wouldn’t classify it was a MMO. And Im getting a bit off-topic.

People want a quick, fun game to enjoy, which is why MMOs appeal to people. Quick to play for about 20 minutes, enjoyable, and competitive. For people without enough time to play 2-3 hours straight.

Flag Post

I love thinking when playing games. That’s why I like Pokemon so much, you have to take type matchups and everything into account. I don’t like fast-paced action, and I really hate teamwork (especially with people I don’t know), which is why I hate MMOs.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MrWiggles49:

Tyrant is a pretty bad game, but not one of the worst offenders.

Kongai might be the worst CCG ever created.

Well at least kongai wasn’t designed to milk out out cash with all possible methods and incentives

And speaking of Tyrant, this is one more reason why MMO’s can have negative impact on peoples life

Flag Post
Originally posted by Chris2fly:

I think that if Kongregate is going to have MMOS on their site they should at least put up some good ones because games like Realm Of The Mad God I find very whack.

Yeah, Realm of the Mad God is fun and though you can buy stuff with money it’s just accessories and stuff they won’t help your gameplay.
Thing is, after you die with a really good character it seems almost pointless to play again.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pokarnor:
Originally posted by Chris2fly:

Yeah, Realm of the Mad God is fun and though you can buy stuff with money it’s just accessories and stuff they won’t help your gameplay.
Thing is, after you die with a really good character it seems almost pointless to play again.

*storage chests. But a fun MMO nonetheless.

Flag Post

I’ve enjoyed mmos including realm of the mad god, tyrant, kongai and backyard monsters… All 4 of those games don’t require money at all to be the best and are quite enjoyable. I still think it is a genre issue with the microtransactions irking most.

I’m going to go ahead and support the whole energy system of tyrant. Without that system faction wars would be a pure grind rather than skill. You’ll come to like the energy system especially when it already takes way too long to spend all that energy later. It is only a hindrance when you first start playing. It’s hard to explain and you’re correct in assuming tyrant has a game issue in the early game. I’ve quit tyrant since then but I still found it highly enjoyable while I played it.

As for people insulting kongai.. I think it was brilliant and absolutely balanced. It was rage inducing but the mind games were excellent and I have never seen such great balance in card games. The only problem was lack of goals, achievements, and a general endgame. Games like tyrant have as many as 5-6 different ways to play the game while kongai only focused on the pvp aspect with no different game modes or even achievements to strive for. Without a goal most lose motivation to continue playing. Without different modes many would rage quit after some horrible losses instead of exploring other options.

So lots of people including me enjoy mmos. I’d say they are enhancing my kongregate experience. There is definitely a loud minority that don’t enjoy them but like all games bad mmos do get low ratings.

Flag Post

I’m going to go ahead and support the whole energy system of tyrant. Without that system faction wars would be a pure grind rather than skill.

Since this is the only argument thus far I’ve seen supporting the energy system that doesn’t involve “it allows me to stop playing and see the outside world!”, I’d like to see this explained a bit more. I had no idea faction wars were based on the energy system as well, as I thought they only affected missions. If what you’re saying is that people with more time would have more of an advantage than those with less time, then you’re suggesting that we should balance the game entirely on how you supposedly “effectively” use your energy (in a very annoying way). But this only much more gives advantage to people who started playing earlier. They already have an advantage, and people joining right now will have a much harder time to even get up there. Why are the luckers that found the game early allowed to have an advantage, but not those who have more time on their hands?

If what you’re saying is that you can make endless attacks on enemies as a high-levelled player in a faction war without an energy system, and this restricts the amount of damage you can do to the faction, then I support it only for faction wars. It is still an incredibly bad choice for the missions.

As for people insulting kongai.. I think it was brilliant and absolutely balanced.

There were only several problems I had with Kongai, and seeing the lengthy discussions I had on one of these, I don’t think we should explore it too thoroughly, but here they are:

1. Cards are only obtainable through weekly challenges, purchase, or low chance on winning (if this is changed, do tell me). This makes it very hard for newcomers to ever get into it.
2. As you said, it was very basic. Purely bashing on each other in one mode (and the AI), and nothing else.
3. The mindreading element was still not properly explained to me.

Flag Post

I’d kill for a setting that allowed me to hide all multiplayer games on Kong. Sick of clicking on a “hot new” game only to find that it is yet another multiplayer copy of all the other money hungry multiplayer games. I haven’t found one multiplayer game on this site that is worth any money or time investment.

Remember when Kong was full of good single player games that didn’t ask for money every three seconds and you could play games without facing endless annoying ads (which of course force you to install ad blockers which are met with a silly screen before every game)? The decline in Kong started with kreds and reaches a new low month after month. “Kongregate: Play free games online” That was a true statement at one point. Anyone know a site that offers what Kong did in the past?

Flag Post
I haven’t found one multiplayer game on this site that is worth any money or time investment.

and there never will be one, because you hate the genre.

to the rest of your post, kong is full of single player games. if you need the main page to help you find them, you’re doing it wrong. they can advert whatever game they damn well please, i will play what i feel like playing. i dont know why people feel like just because they advertise mmo’s that people must play mmo’s.