Forums Kongregate

Debate proposition...

19 posts

Flag Post

I have noticed the increase of ebate in many different chat rooms, as you all know I am the leader you could say of the Kongregate Debate team. I am thinking of spreadig that to the chat rooms. I would like to request a chatrrom, called, Kongregate debate team, Debate chatroom, or something of the like. That is all I request I am okay If the answer is no, Thank you for your time. I also don’t know directly who to address about this, so all are welcome to help, especially The mods and site workers.

Sincerely, Henry Myers

Flag Post

I’ll consider something like this, but it would require very heavy moderation.

Flag Post

Why? Don’t you have the forums for this?

Flag Post

Greg, most forums I know, including the one i’m on most, have a “Serious Talk” forum where discussion ranges from Science to politics to religion to the environment.

Usually, the people who enter these are there to discuss things logically, and those too simple minded to offer more than “no i dunt believe u” usually stay far away.

Flag Post

Thank you for considering this, I would like to have some say in the room of some sort. I do want what is best for the chatroom, I would like to be able to moderate a little in this. In no way am I asking to be a mod, possibly only in that room. I love debate and this si a faster medium to convey debate. That is partly why I want this, In the forums The debate will fall back into the records. What i also want is for a co-owner or creator to have the ability to moderate in that area and to be able to start a new topic and tell people to stop activities. I am thinking Of pheonix00017, I don’t know if I have the right numbers.

Flag Post

I’ll like some talking in my room. A typical convo in Curry Trotters takes about 1 minute :(

Flag Post

I second the motion to have Phoenix moderate this debate room – excellent nomination!

Flag Post

I don’t know how well a live chat room would work. The better debates are when people have had time to think about someone’s arguments, and have thought about their own response too. It couldn’t hurt, but I personally think indie’s suggestion would be better. A wider range of topics, though I guess it would only really take off when there are more members on Kong – which is when a chat room would get really messy.

Flag Post

Thanks for the nominations! First, I’d like to thank my mom for…oh, wait…

Seriously, I would certainly be happy to act as a moderator in the debate room (if it is started up), though I certainly couldn’t do it alone (as I do occasionally have a real life). I do like the idea of a debate-focused room – or at least one that is focused on interesting chat instead of the All-Starfighter, All-The-Time Channel. That said, the debate thread has been going quite strong and is certainly a fine outlet if it is determined that Kongregate doesn’t need another chat room.

Flag Post

I could moderate with himif that is ok. I think the chat would be extremely successful.

Flag Post

I just thought of something! We could merge with another chatroom to not make more space, or delete a seldom used chatroom.

Flag Post

We’ve just added a couple of chat rooms recently, I dont think we want to be deleting any.

Flag Post

okay, just a thought.

Flag Post

We can’t delete rooms; we can only rename them.

Flag Post

I feel that a debate room would be good. Perhaps merged with the proper english room that was being considered? There are some times when I just can’t handle all the “wuts gud in st4rf1t3r nao>” chatting that’s been going on recently. I’m all for one hour ban if you speak incorrectly or talk about games in there. Perhaps there would be someway to stop new users getting randomly placed there?

Flag Post

That would be awesome! We could have a room named “the debate room, only proper english!” or something like that. In order to debate you can’t type like this: “i agree wit ur point, i wish it were lieke that two…” I hate the u’s and ur’s… chat abbreviations.

Flag Post

As is the case with the entire site, enforcing any type of rule can be problematic; and I dont think an hour ban is justified for not talking eloquently enough in a debate room. The last thing we need is people emailing asking for reversal of their bans that were brought upon by spelling and grammar errors. It seems like we would need some more advanced features like room booting and entrance restrictions to fully support such an idea.

Flag Post

No typos? Those errors would be annoying, but surely ‘lieke’ could be tolerated, especially as it’d be live. It might also mean being forced to use some awful USA English spellings :P

Flag Post

I am not in favor of the 1 hour ban though, I am thinking not a strictly enforced rule just common good.