Forums Kongregate

Friends Terminology Update page 3

114 posts

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator
 
Flag Post
Originally posted by trickyrodent:
Originally posted by denamo:
Originally posted by trickyrodent:
Originally posted by denamo:

“Connections” is a word much, much worse than “friends”, i hope you know that. Because of this update, i have no friends anymore. ;_;

Originally posted by CandyCastle:

I’d prefer “Friends” to “People you are following” any day.
It just made me feel like… I had friends.

You still do, and so do I. But we don’t have friends because we both clicked a button to say we were friends! We have friends because we enjoyed each other’s company and played games and bantered in the forums and generally came to like each other. I know not everyone believes that online friends are real, but I strongly disagree. Many of my closest friends are people I’ve met on here over the years.

Of course that’s true, but i’m really mad since you guys only reply when you can disprove someone’s point in one way or another. “No connections online” is just dripping with stupidity in my opinion!

Hm, I suppose I do tend to reply more often when I believe I have a constructive way to disagree with someone about something. You’re right.

Well, it’s nice to see that you admit it, much better than if you just deleted the post above yours and then silenced me for it without replying when it did make sense if you think of it a bit, which is what you usually do. Now if only other Kongregate administrators admitted it, i would be a lot happier seeing that you are all humans and not just corrupted business freaks that only care about money and always try to get everything to their advantage, but skulk every time you see that you are losing an argument.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by denamo:
Originally posted by trickyrodent:
Originally posted by denamo:
Originally posted by trickyrodent:
Originally posted by denamo:

“Connections” is a word much, much worse than “friends”, i hope you know that. Because of this update, i have no friends anymore. ;_;

Originally posted by CandyCastle:

I’d prefer “Friends” to “People you are following” any day.
It just made me feel like… I had friends.

You still do, and so do I. But we don’t have friends because we both clicked a button to say we were friends! We have friends because we enjoyed each other’s company and played games and bantered in the forums and generally came to like each other. I know not everyone believes that online friends are real, but I strongly disagree. Many of my closest friends are people I’ve met on here over the years.

Of course that’s true, but i’m really mad since you guys only reply when you can disprove someone’s point in one way or another. “No connections online” is just dripping with stupidity in my opinion!

Hm, I suppose I do tend to reply more often when I believe I have a constructive way to disagree with someone about something. You’re right.

Well, it’s nice to see that you admit it, much better than if you just deleted the post above yours and then silenced me for it without replying when it did make sense if you think of it a bit, which is what you usually do. Now only if other Kongregate administrators admitted it, i would be a lot happier seeing that you are all humans and not just corrupted business freaks that only care about money and always try to get everything to their advantage, but skulk every time you see that you are losing an argument.

You just don’t get it…

 
This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator
 
Flag Post
Originally posted by trickyrodent:
Originally posted by bjjdude:

You just don’t get it…

I’m not sure what I / we don’t get? So I guess by definition I don’t. :-(

she doesn’t get that you are a robot.

 
Flag Post

Just change it back.
You can have the whole Facebook thing since it’s completely optional.
There are just too many negative connotations to “follower”.

Short and sweet is better than long and convoluted.

If people really need an explanation to what a fan is, just have a mouse-over explanation, or simpler yet, a link to a page to terminology on Kongregate for those who don’t understand.

Pertaining to terminology, I think this is just the fault of someone over-thinking a simple concept and adding in unnecessary changes, which really do nothing to improve the site as a whole.

We may be the vocal minority, but it’s better than being the complacent majority :P

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by bjjdude:

You just don’t get it…

OH YEAH?! Well, why don’t you explain what exactly is it that i do not get in your opinion?

EDIT:

Originally posted by bjjdude:
Originally posted by trickyrodent:
Originally posted by bjjdude:

You just don’t get it…

I’m not sure what I / we don’t get? So I guess by definition I don’t. :-(

she doesn’t get that you are a robot.

You know, that’s really lame, how could you even know anyone is a robot if you have not even seen them in person?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by denamo:
Originally posted by bjjdude:

You just don’t get it…

OH YEAH?! Well, why don’t you explain what exactly is it that i do not get in your opinion?

(i was kidding.)

 
Flag Post

That was an extremely horrible joke, and you should feel like the worst person to have ever existed for posting it

 
Flag Post

The hell? Why would my post get removed, it was not insulting him, at least not without a clear point!

 
This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator
 
This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator
 
Flag Post
Originally posted by denamo:

The hell? Why would my post get removed, it was not insulting him, at least not without a clear point!

Out of curiosity.. What exactly did you say?

 
Flag Post

On the bright side, I doubt I’ll really ever have to explain to users that they don’t need to ask permission to friend me any longer. It wasn’t a friend request. Fan list rape!

 
This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator
 
Flag Post
Originally posted by trickyrodent:

Let’s assume he was talking to / about me… there are lots of things in the world that I don’t get. The wave-particle duality of light is a big one, to start with.

I would have assumed he was talking to me, since he quoted my post and not yours.

Originally posted by bjjdude:
Originally posted by denamo:

The hell? Why would my post get removed, it was not insulting him, at least not without a clear point!

Out of curiosity.. What exactly did you say?

I suppose since you yourself are asking to post it, it means you do not find it offensive enough to be removed, and i doubt anyone else would get offended by it, so there: “That was an extremely horrible joke, and you should feel like the worst person to have ever existed for posting it”

Originally posted by trickyrodent:

If you promise to not continue insulting him, I’ll unhide it. Deal?

(Edit: remember, this is /1 not /2. The standards are a little different here.)

What if i promise to find a more polite way to convey my feelings? ;_;

 
This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator
 
Flag Post

My only problem is that I can’t see how many people I am following.

Is this going to be fixed at all, Tricky?

 
Flag Post

My only problem is that I can’t see how many people I am following.

Yeah, I’m getting that, too. I can see the amount for everyone else but me. I’ve seen it mentioned elsewhere, so it may already be getting warmed up on a back-burner.

 
Flag Post

I also find that Connections in the high scores using a second line is quite ugly to see.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by denamo:
Originally posted by trickyrodent:
Originally posted by denamo:
Originally posted by trickyrodent:
Originally posted by denamo:

“Connections” is a word much, much worse than “friends”, i hope you know that. Because of this update, i have no friends anymore. ;_;

Originally posted by CandyCastle:

I’d prefer “Friends” to “People you are following” any day.
It just made me feel like… I had friends.

You still do, and so do I. But we don’t have friends because we both clicked a button to say we were friends! We have friends because we enjoyed each other’s company and played games and bantered in the forums and generally came to like each other. I know not everyone believes that online friends are real, but I strongly disagree. Many of my closest friends are people I’ve met on here over the years.

Of course that’s true, but i’m really mad since you guys only reply when you can disprove someone’s point in one way or another. “No connections online” is just dripping with stupidity in my opinion!

Hm, I suppose I do tend to reply more often when I believe I have a constructive way to disagree with someone about something. You’re right.

Well, it’s nice to see that you admit it, much better than if you just deleted the post above yours and then silenced me for it without replying when it did make sense if you think of it a bit, which is what you usually do. Now if only other Kongregate administrators admitted it, i would be a lot happier seeing that you are all humans and not just corrupted business freaks that only care about money and always try to get everything to their advantage, but skulk every time you see that you are losing an argument.

I, AlisonClaire, am a human! Probably!

I also tend to respond more when I feel like I have something to offer up as a counter-argument. I don’t usually respond to stuff like “I hate the color red you chose” because… well I can’t really change your mind about that. I like it, you don’t, such is life. I hate mustard and there’s nothing anyone can do to change that, it’s the condiment of satan and that’s that.

But for most changes we make, we spend a lot of time mulling them over and (hopefully!) have reasons for doing what we’re doing. We ALWAYS take community reaction into account, we don’t change things just for the lulz and we obviously want you guys to like what we do.

The community is what separates Kongregate from the myriad of other flash games sites out there. We know this, we love this and we love you. This terminology update was made to help get more of the casual users who never talk to another person on this site to dip their toe into some of the more social features. I’d hope that all of you would agree that you can meet some really rad people on Kongregate and that the community really is special… we’re just trying to lower the barrier to entry so more people can discover that for themselves :)

We will follow you…follow you wherever youuuuuu will goooooooooo. We will follow you into the dark. <3

Edit: Not being able to see the # of people you follow is unintentional and will be fixed. @Danaroth, what browser are you using?

 
Flag Post

Google Chrome, miss Alison. The weird thing is that if I click Connections in some games it goes back on the first row as it should, in some other ones it just stays on the second row regardless.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Danaroth:

Google Chrome, miss Alison.

Thanks :) We’ll fix that too.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by AlisonClaire:

I, AlisonClaire, am a human! Probably!

I also tend to respond more when I feel like I have something to offer up as a counter-argument. I don’t usually respond to stuff like “I hate the color red you chose” because… well I can’t really change your mind about that. I like it, you don’t, such is life. I hate mustard and there’s nothing anyone can do to change that, it’s the condiment of satan and that’s that.

But for most changes we make, we spend a lot of time mulling them over and (hopefully!) have reasons for doing what we’re doing. We ALWAYS take community reaction into account, we don’t change things just for the lulz and we obviously want you guys to like what we do.

The community is what separates Kongregate from the myriad of other flash games sites out there. We know this, we love this and we love you. This terminology update was made to help get more of the casual users who never talk to another person on this site to dip their toe into some of the more social features. I’d hope that all of you would agree that you can meet some really rad people on Kongregate and that the community really is special… we’re just trying to lower the barrier to entry so more people can discover that for themselves :)

That sounded a bit too cheesy to be true, but it still made me slightly happier about this site and i felt like i had to inform you of this so that you do not have to worry about me too much
Now i’m only wondering if Zshadow and emily_greer are going to say something too, since they were one of these “replying” to the furious users, and if anyone is going to fix this issue…

 
Flag Post

That sounded a bit too cheesy to be true, but it still made me slightly happier about this site and i felt like i had to inform you of this so that you do not have to worry about me too much
Now i’m only wondering if Zshadow and emily_greer are going to say something too, since they were one of these “replying” to the furious users, and if anyone is going to fix this issue…

Not too cheesy to be true, I’m just a stupidly cheesy person. Seriously. I tear up at Hallmark commercials. Promise swear that was all genuine.

Re: the ad block issue, I’ll weigh in on that thread when I’m actually in at work, but if you have a slow internet connection you can get the ad block ads even if you’re not using an ad blocker. I’ll brainstorm with our devs to try and find a way to make it target better.