Forums Kongregate

Games encouraging message spam

115 posts

Flag Post

I’ve recently been getting messages from random people inviting me to try games (King’s Bounty: Legions is the worst offender). I’ve never commented on, rated or even played the games. I’m also neither following or being followed by the message senders. So I don’t know the mechanic or incentive behind the mass mailing.

All I know is this spam technique needs to but stopped before every game incentivizes players to send out mass unsolicited messages.

Flag Post

AGREED!

I came on just to say the same thing.

Flag Post

Its because random kids think that if they spam referral links, everyone will click them.

They probably found you in a random thread, and also spammed everyone who posted in that thread.

The best thing to do is report them (by PMing Zshadow) and move on.

Flag Post

Same here, though it’s for that ‘Dueling Blades’ game. I’m getting a ton of these messages… Some from people I’ve not even added as friends.

Flag Post

I’m getting loads of requests from users I don’t know, too. It’s very annoying.

Flag Post

If anyone plays Clash: Rise of Heroes or Dueling Blades could you tell me why they are doing this? Is there some sort of in-game incentive? If there is Kongregate should interevene immediately.

P.S. Why is it Dueling Blades and not Duelling Blades? They surely can’t have spelt the title of their cash cow wrong?

Flag Post

I’ve also gotten multiple (3) requests from users who I don’t know and are not following/being followed.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JimmyCarlos:

P.S. Why is it Dueling Blades and not Duelling Blades? They surely can’t have spelt the title of their cash cow wrong?

Both spellings are acceptable (in fact, my version of Firefox is telling me that “duelling” is misspelled, and dictionary.com lists it as being “chiefly British”).

Flag Post

I’m here about the same issue. Most of mine are from “Dueling Blades” and “Berserk: The Cataclysm”. I’ve never heard of any of the inviters and they are very much not appreciated.

Flag Post

If anyone plays Clash: Rise of Heroes or Dueling Blades could you tell me why they are doing this? Is there some sort of in-game incentive? If there is Kongregate should interevene immediately.

Just tried out Dueling Blades a bit, and there is a quest that rewards you for sending a message to invite a player to be your “ally”. Eh, it’s worded like you’re just sending a referral for the game and it’s not quite clear as to whether or not the acceptance of the invited player is what hinges on the quest reward. It is, actually, but I’m betting many are just trying to get the reward and spamming a message out there.

And I agree, I really dislike it when those multiplayer games utilize this tactic.

Flag Post

A third “Spam” section should be added to the messaging center.
All Kongregate announcements, messages from developers, and messages from users about these games should go there.

Flag Post

Block em all :D.
I haven’t got one of those annoying PMs in a while now…

Flag Post
Originally posted by HappyAlcoholic:

All Kongregate announcements, messages from developers, and messages from users about these games should go there.

Yes please.

Flag Post

holy crap. you have to ban this shit…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pokerhappy:
Originally posted by HappyAlcoholic:

Yes please.

I actually really like this idea, as well. Spam folder. Sure, it might take a little time and effort to train Kongbot to pull it off well. (We know he still trolls the forums occasionally) Hell to the yes, though.

This way Kong wouldn’t have or need to rectify any of the current or future spam-encouraging games.

Flag Post

Pleasedon’t spam me, Kong. ESPECIALLY please don’t let people spam me.

The Facebookization…. has begun….

Flag Post

This is quite annoying. :/ I’m getting these messages also, and I’m fairly certain that mods aren’t supposed to block/mute people. For me, it’s not so much that I care that I have to click delete, but more so that I think ‘Yay! I got a message from some nice person.’ and that changes to ‘Another annoying spam message’

I think these messages come from this new Kongregate API feature.

Flag Post

Hey, just wanted to let you guys know that we agree there’s a problem. Of course, we want people to be able to tell friends about awesome games, but it’s getting out of hand. The folks in the San Francisco office are going to be working this afternoon to come up with some limits (how many invitations, how fast, etc) and we’ll try to get those limits implemented in the next deployment.

In the meantime, your delete button is your friend. o.o

Flag Post
Originally posted by trickyrodent:

Hey, just wanted to let you guys know that we agree there’s a problem. Of course, we want people to be able to tell friends about awesome games, but it’s getting out of hand. The folks in the San Francisco office are going to be working this afternoon to come up with some limits (how many invitations, how fast, etc) and we’ll try to get those limits implemented in the next deployment.

Can you raise to them the possibility of simply giving users the ability to opt out of the referrals if the users wanted to?

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyDreamName:

Can you raise to them the possibility of simply giving users the ability to opt out of the referrals if the users wanted to?

Agreed. That’s how things work in the world anyways (i.e. “no solicitor” signs).

Flag Post

Yes, please do have the “Do Not Spam” option. Some of us have absolutely no interest in these multi-player games (or games that resort to such tactics) and would never care to receive such “invitations”.

Flag Post

If the games are promoting mass spam, I think those messages should be blocked entirely by default, rather than reduced, or atleast there should be an option to block it entirely.

But considering the amount of greed I’ve seen on kong lately I’m sure you’re not gonna do that.
sigh

Flag Post

Have you read ANY of the awful engrish dialogue in some of the envoy clones?

Flag Post

Any progress here? It’s only getting worse…

Flag Post

yay dueling blades! let me go join RIGHT AWAY.

Or, quit kong. Dont limit this spam, erase it! If my actual friends want to invite me, they can