Forums Kongregate

Being muted.

16 posts

Flag Post

Is there anyway to tell when you’re being muted by someone else with this layout?

I miss being able to just look at someone’s profile and being able to tell right away if I was muted or not.

Flag Post

They are working on it.

Originally posted by Yawgmoth:

How about not getting muted in the first place?

Being muted is different from being silenced.

Flag Post

It was possible before, so I don’t see why not again. Sometimes, it is simply useful to know, or “fun”. There is nothing negative about it.

Flag Post

How about not getting muted in the first place?

Yes, because the only way to get muted is by acting like a jerk:

Fricknmaniac: It’s just where they show up in the morning for people to come buy and give them day jobs.

cooldice23: lrn2spell

cooldice23: to come by

Fricknmaniac: Yes, you are correct that I made a typo there.

cooldice23: muted

Flag Post

@Frick: And how exactly would it improve your or his situation, if you could go to his profile and see, that he muted you?

Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

It was possible before, so I don’t see why not again. Sometimes, it is simply useful to know, or “fun”. There is nothing negative about it.

Flag Post

@Dark: It is confirmation for trolls. If the programmers spend time on this feature other features will take longer.

@Frick: And how exactly would it improve your or his situation, if you could go to his profile and see, that he muted you?

Why exactly are you being so agressive and negative about this?I on my side see absolutly no negative aspects in actually being able to tell if someone muted you or not.If you see any negative aspects,go on, but don’t go around claiming something is bad because you don’t need it particularily.The world doesn’t revolve around you, pal.

On topic: I think this shows how kong admins didn’t really think enough about this update and removed half of the stuff there was in the profile.(that may be an exeggerated claim, but you get what I mean).

They certainly should add this back, or even better, just give us back the old profile.

Flag Post

How else are we intended to know when to make alts to harass our targets?

Flag Post
The world doesn’t revolve around you, pal.

First you ignore my arguments and then you attack me personally. Good job. I like your style.

So let’s break down the arguments for and against it, shall we?

Pro:

• It was possible before.
  • It is useful to know.
  • It is fun.

Contra:

• It is confirmation for trolls.
  • It slows down the development of other features.

As for the pro arguments, just because it was here before, doesn’t mean a thing. If it was useless before, it will be still useless now. Useful to know and fun? Well having my name translated to japanese would be also usefull and fun. But this is a very weak argument to demand its implementation, right?
Maybe someone can tell me a situation, which happens to a lot of people regularly and where a look on the profile would improve the situation. Or even if it wouldn’t have any downsides, why the hell not. But unfortunately there are some negative aspects.

This whole “look up who has muted me thing” seems like troll bait to me. And giving a troll reason to continue with his behaviour, is the last thing you want to do. Standard protocol with trolls is: don’t react and they will get bored and quit. But the mute message on your profile isn’t only a reaction but also a victory for him. This will just encourage him to go around and see how many people will mute him. And even if he gets silenced at some point, why making it worse without having enough benefit out of it?
And another related point is, if the troll knows that you have muted him and he wants to annoy you, he will just make a new account.

The orher big con point is, that the development of other features will be slowed down. Even if they only have to design a place in the new layout, this is still time lost for other projects, from which more people would profit.

So to sum things up, there are either none or relative weak arguments for it and some arguments against it. And if you still can’t understand my position ask yourself:

Are more than xx% of the people on Kongregate muted?
How many of them are affected by a wrong muting like described by Fricknmaniac?
Will a mute message on a profile really help any of them?

If you still come to a different result, well… be my guest. But with the given facts I think a “Dude. Stop being a jerk.” will do a better job.

I like how you try to attack the source of the problem,not try and make it invalid.And how you are polite about.My dad said if we would just fix the problem instead of avoiding it,it would be better.

Flag Post

Who said my name? :D
Anyway, the developers will probably fix it, and let’s leave it at that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Muting:

Who said my name? :D
Anyway, the developers will probably fix it, and let’s leave it at that.

This guy knows his stuff. ^

Flag Post

You want to play rough? Bring it.

As for the pro arguments, just because it was here before, doesn’t mean a thing.

It does. It means that the admins believed before there’s enough reason to implement it. Since people were using it, apparently there was demand. If it does not take too much time to implement, then satisfying their userbase is certainly a priority.

If it was useless before, it will be still useless now.

It wasn’t useless, at least not to everybody.

Well having my name translated to japanese would be also usefull and fun. But this is a very weak argument to demand its implementation, right?

Wrong. There is a difference between a feature that was implemented before and used and a feature that was not implemented before. The demand for the former is known, the demand for the latter must be asked for first before wasting time on developing it.

Maybe someone can tell me a situation, which happens to a lot of people regularly and where a look on the profile would improve the situation.

Practically, it shows you whether or not you have to bother replying to/typing to people in chat. If they have you on mute, they would not hear your commentary any way. If you don’t know they have you on mute, then you waste time chatting to them. As a moderator, I’d also like to know who has me on mute. If someone does, they will not hear my warnings when they spam or troll.

But the mute message on your profile isn’t only a reaction but also a victory for him.

I’ve learned from the beasts themselves that anything is a victory for them. They live in their own delusional world. If they come in and spam five messages, they are king of the world. Regardless of anyone replying, regardless of being silenced. They crap their pants laughing while imagining how people could react in real-life while there is no real way of knowing this. To cut the story short, if ignoring him is “winning”, then how can muting not be? If the person really wants to annoy you, then he’ll do whatever it takes regardless of you having muted him or him knowing that you did.

This will just encourage him to go around and see how many people will mute him.

That doesn’t make sense. They usually want attention, not everyone no longer being capable of seeing his text.

And another related point is, if the troll knows that you have muted him and he wants to annoy you, he will just make a new account.

So? This is no different from a new troll coming in. In fact, it’s easier to recognise the old ones as they’ll immediately target you and you can mute again.

The orher big con point is, that the development of other features will be slowed down. Even if they only have to design a place in the new layout, this is still time lost for other projects, from which more people would profit.

This goes for every project. The feature was there before, so it’s only more pressing to implement it again.

Flag Post

Personally, I wouldn’t care about the majority of people who might have muted me. There are just a few circumstances where I have had friends muted me (and like-wise) but that’s usually due to accidents or a bad fight and both parties needing space. It would be nice to know at a glance if things are peachy or not.

Secondly, I’ve had “friends” who have muted me without warning. Maybe they were attention whores or drama queens who just wanted to created some buzz. Maybe they just didn’t really consider me as much as a friend as I do them. Who really cares? All I care is that by knowing sooner, I know not to invest any more time in any false friendships or connections.

I’ll admit those seem like pretty weak reasons to most of you, but, eh, they are valid enough to me.

Flag Post

There’s also the possibility of someone accidentally clicking a wrong button and muting someone. I’ve been in this situation a few times, and it creates a lot of confusion (and sometimes, a lot of heated tempers) until one person goes to the other’s profile and realizes that they’ve been muted.

Flag Post

Seeing who muted me will prevent me from talking to nobody.

Flag Post

It would be nice to know if I was muted.

Flag Post
Being muted is different from being silenced.

Both are a reactions to inappropriate behaviour. Both can be avoided by not annoying people.

Maybe I miss something but I don’t see any common scenario, where knowing if someone has muted you, would be of help for anyone.

I would disagree with some of this. What you’re essentially saying is that the user needs to be kind and respectful to every other user in every other way in every single degree. This is preposterous. There are things that people are going to mute you for no matter how hard you try, it’s a bit of an inevitable. Why should I have to waste my time trying to talk to an individual when I don’t know that I’ve been muted for some silly reason?