Forums Kongregate

Dusty - 11 or 12 at the time of banning?!?! (locked)

8 posts

Flag Post

Ok… I got a PM in Warbears by Dusty and she said it was her birthday some days ago. She said she was kidding about the 11 year old thing and actually was 12. I’m confused… If she’s 12 at the time of banning, she should be 13…

Flag Post

what, you mean you have to be above 12? i didn’t know that … lol

Flag Post

Because you need Autorisation of your parents if you have Under Than 13

Flag Post

We discussed this yesterday. She created a new account and came into chat aggressively demanding that she be unbanned because she was now 13. She was extremely rude, and since I could swear she had said she was 11 I decided to try and find some info. She got mad and steamed off before I could find any. She’s claiming now that shes 13 but it conflicts with her previous statements. If she was lying about her age (either then or now) then she’s experiencing the consequences.

Also, according to her warbears posts, she seems to find it quite funny that shes circumvented her ban at times. To me that shows a complete lack of respect and understanding for why Kongregate had to ban her.

Either way, if she is 13 she should have sent greg and email and apologized for not telling the truth (if that is the case), instead of broke the rules again about circumventing her ban so she could tell all of us off. She has absolutely no respect for the rules of this site and has broke them over and over again out of selfishness; and even if she was old enough she would likely be banned for such rude behavior towards others, towards administrators and towards Kongregate in general.

I was thinking at first it might be possible to unban her, but due to her behavior and the fact that she is dishonest I’m going to leave this one alone. Staff can take care of it.

On an additional note, Jude: next time you can probably make this thread in the mod forums instead of the public ones. I’m not sure if discussing this on the sites forums is the best idea. Only reason I havent locked this is because I hope others can see from it how not to act and what disrespecting moderators and the rules leads to.

I feel really bad for Dusty, but what can you do? We cant trust her now and she is downright rude. I wish she had acted a bit more mature. Greg has told her over and over to get a permission slip from her parents, and that in itself is very kind, since Kongregate can choose to not even allow that. Much of this problem is the consequence of her own choices.

Flag Post

I bet there are tons of people on Kongregate who are under 13 and didn’t “get their parents permission.” I’m sick of people trying to make laws forcing other people to live their lifestyle. It’s the Crusades all over again!

Flag Post

bq. I bet there are tons of people on Kongregate who are under 13 and didn’t “get their parents permission.” I’m sick of people trying to make laws forcing other people to live their lifestyle

The government makes the laws, not Kongregate and not the moderators. If Kongregate is aware that someone is underage they can get in trouble and therefore become responsible for not allowing them to communicate on the site. Kongregate does not actively go out and try to find all the underage kids and ban them, but if they vocalize it (like Dusty and several others) then something has to be done. Its not like Kongregate wants to, be they have to follow rules as well. Would you like Kongregate to get sued like XANGA did and perhaps have to be shut down?

Also, the laws are meant to protect young kids. Internet predators are out there, and bad things do happen. Its a sad unavoidable situation that none of us want to deal with, but have to. If its just ignored then Kongregate can get charged with negligence.

Please read this thread to educate yourself more on the issue.

So should everyone on the site suffer because a couple of young kids want to chat with strangers and dont want to get permission from their parents? Sorry, but no. That definitely wouldnt be fair.

Flag Post

Kongregate does not actively go out and try to find all the underage kids and ban them, but if they vocalize it (like Dusty and several others) then something has to be done. Its not like Kongregate wants to, be they have to follow rules as well. Would you like Kongregate to get sued like XANGA did and perhaps have to be shut down?

I encourage everyone to reread this as many times as it takes to stop complaining about the Dusty situation.

Flag Post

That said, I’m locking this. Ample explanations have been given in this thread and the other one, and leaving it open will just invite ignorant comments (from people who are probably underage themselves).

Jude: if you have any more comments or questions you can ask us directly in the moderator area.

Everyone else: if you dont understand, do as greg says and keep reading until you do.