Forums Kongregate

Kongregate Tournament Sign-Ups & Directory (New management!) (locked)

121 posts

Flag Post

Vid has been stranded on an island devoid of internet indefinitely, so I’ll be taking his place for the time being! After myself, Wiiplayer113 will take over and from there it’s anybody’s game.

▪ This thread is exclusively for sign-ups. Please use this thread for any discussion: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/74355

This thread is for controlling any chaos over the hosting and execution of gaming competitions.
It is required that you sign up for a spot in this thread if you would like to host a competition.
If you post a competition thread without first signing up here, that thread will be locked.

The rules! Please read these first.

Guidelines:
▪ Competitions must be open to the general public. Hosts may put minor restrictions on who may qualify (accounts must be created after a certain date, no one who was DQ’d in the last few tournaments, etc.)
▪ There can only be one competition running at once (except in the situation listed below).
▪ A second competition may be started if the first lasts longer than 10 weeks.
▪ The competition must be completed within 15 weeks, or it will be closed.
▪ Competitions will take place on a first come, first served basis.
▪ Each person can only sign up to host one competition at a time.
▪ If it is your turn and you do not begin sign-ups or a qualifying round within 5 days, your turn may be skipped for the next competition. During this 5 day period, the host in the front of the line must either shout me or make a post in this thread stating his/her’s status on competition readiness.
▪ Relating to the above guideline, if you acknowledge that your competition will not be ready during this 5 day period, your spot in line will be given to the next person, who will then be given a 5 day period. However, if you give your spot up, you may take the next spot in line. However you can only do this once, if you are not ready after you pass once, you will lose your turn all together. (This does not apply to TeamEgoFrisk because this rule was implemented after he passed once.)
▪ The next tournament may begin its qualifier once the finals of the previous tournament begins. However the first round may not begin until the final of the previous tournament has completed. Your 5 day period to start your qualifier begins once the finals begin of the previous tournament.
▪ Any who do not sign up using the provided template may or may not be able to host said competition.

Notes on this thread:
▪ Older posts in this thread may be deleted for the sake of cleanliness.
▪ This thread is exclusively for sign-ups. Please use other threads for discussion.

Flag Post

Hosting your competition:

Signing up should be done in the following way:

Signing Up 
Name of Competition (optional):
Number of competitors being accepted:
Approximate run time:
Names of co-hosts, spreadsheeters, etc.:

Starting your competition should be done in the following way:

Starting competition 
Name of Competition:
Number of competitors being accepted:
Name of co-hosts, spreadsheeters, etc.:
Link to qualifying round:

Ending your competition should be done in the following way:

Ending Competition 
Name of Competition:
Link to final round/thread:

Examples:

Signing Up

Name of Competition: K.O.N.G.R.E.G.A.T.E
Number of competitors being accepted: 150
Approximate run time: 3 weeks
Names of co-hosts, spreadsheeters, etc.: guuguulyeye

Starting Competition

Name of Competition: Competition 3
Number of competitors being accepted: As many as possible
Approximate run time: 5 weeks
Names of co-hosts, spreadsheeters, etc.: None
Link to Qualifier Round: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1/topics/29447

Ending Competition

Name of Competition: K.O.N.G.
Link to final round/thread: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1/topics/45187

Tips for crafting and hosting a successful tournament

(work in progress)

Here are some additional tips from Danaroth.

1.) Basic Preparation

A.) Plan all the numbers in your tournament.

• This means how many people, number and length of rounds, games, etc. you’ll want.
    • With the length of rounds, early on the people who are there to have fun want to submit a score, but later on the hardcore people will generally make time to play a game. Factor that into how long to make rounds. Generally rounds should be 3-5 days.
    • Eliminations should make sense from round to round. Don’t jump from 10% to 50%. Two good methods are to have a steady elimination percentage each round (say 35%,) or start out with a lower elimination percentage, and gradually increase it (for example start out at 30% and work your way up to 50% gradually.)

2.) Game selection:

A.) The primary goal of each tournament is for the competitors to have fun, so pick games that people find fun. This would exclude Tower Defense and Rhythm games, as well as Pel. Look for:

• As mentioned before, find fun games.
    • Find new games to use. People enjoy playing fun games they’ve never played before. Not Pel.
    • Feel free to ask people for suggestions, people will be glad to give you suggestions.

B.) However the ultimate goal of any tournament is to crown a winner. So later on, it’s better to find games that are ideal for competition. 4 things to consider:

• Scaling difficulty. It’s better to not have something that just tries the gamer’s patience, or something with a maximum score. You’ll want something with scaling difficulty.
    • Games with API, and one where the score submits when the game finishes, without having to push a button. API allows other players to see where they rank in the round so far.
    • Games without a pause feature are useful. Combine this with API and you won’t have someone just post a score that no one knew about the entire round b/c they could keep it hidden.
    • Alternatively, (or additionally) to games with no pause, you can use multiple games in the finals. Since people will have to focus on multiple games, they’ll worry less about ninja’ing.
    • Finally it’s better to have games run on real time rather than frame rate. Games that run on frame rate become easier if you can slow down your computer, while real time games only become choppy. This prevents people from using slow computers to have an advantage.

Other tips for games that you select:

• If you’re having problems finding games, then use the new recommendation system that Kongregate implemented. It recommends games to you that you haven’t rated before, based on how you have rated other games similar to them. The list does refresh periodically by itself, but you can get it refresh as you rate games on the list.
    • Have backup games. I recommend at least 1 backup for each game you have. Lack of backups has really hurt a lot of tournaments, so don’t let yours be one of them.
    • Recruit some people to be play testers. It’s better to find glitches before you use the game and have to change the game in the round.

3.) Other General Tips and Suggestions

• Have a co-host, and make sure they know what’s coming up next for your tournament, in case you aren’t able to make it.
    • Setup the tournament so you WILL be around. Don’t set a round to end when you’re going to be at work. Questions come up near the end of a round, and it’s better if you’re around.
    • Prepare early. There are lots of people in line, and if someone isn’t ready, we move on to the next person. If that person is you and you’re not ready, you’re might try to just wing it, but you’re more than likely just going to have a crappy tournament.

Flag Post

The Current List

hiperson134 is currently hosting the qualifier: The Road Not Taken

The following people are in line to host a tournament.
zakid (skipped indefinitely)
Ikara (Missing?)
burrito(skipped)
SamsterSamster(skipped)
SilentSand
videogames518 (delayed until further notice)
LouWeed
Blizzard2000
Order_Venom117
uzzbuzz
JoshDragon
fdsasdf
hamuka
DragonArcherZ
eProdigy

Also, if you’re looking for help with hosting a competition (co-hosting, spreadsheets, etc.), try contacting one of these people.

Either Spreadsheeting or Co-Hosting
videogames518 (not available)

Co-Hosting
osanseviero
crankdat

Spreadsheeting
BadgeHuntersAnon
Badgy_McBadger
hamuka
MaistlinRajere

(If you would like to be put on the list, feel free to make a post in this thread or leave me a shout/PM)

Flag Post

List of available past competitions for reference:

(ss denotes the link to the spreadsheet)

This spreadsheet contains the information from virtually all of the tournaments and compiles them into several lists to see how you've done compared to other people.

ss Competition #3
~ Winner: Kyru
ss The Guantlet
~ Winner: SJOKER
ss K.O.N.G
~ Winner: Friz
ss Konguest
ss Official Amberial Axis Release Tournament
ss Kong-Prix
ss The Kongreatest Challenge
~ Winner: Friz
~ DQ: WiiPlayer113
Castlewars Competition
ss The Goliathan Konquest
~ Winner: Snape007
Starland TD Competition
ss Kwest for the Holy K
~ Winner: PkkHaseo
~ DQs: Drovoxx, skeelful08, Snape007, LethalMutiny, Devlini, heeheex2, JaumeBG, Starshooter123, D3ath4u2
ss 50/50 Winners & Losers
~ Winners: bladewing650, Elldaman311, Fricknmaniac, Thyrael
~ DQ: Wiggles96
ss The Tower
~ Winner: Thyrael
~ DQ: chavkill
ss The (Inter)National Greg Games
~ Winners: Danaroth, Elldaman311
~ DQs: Shizokuya, Wiggles96
ss The Kongregate King
~ Winner: Fricknmaniac
ss Competition to Find the Best XIII
~ Winner: Cirpacha
~ DQs: Hokage4354, NicolBolas
ss Vigorous Gaming
~ Winner: Wiiplayer113
~ DQ: MicroGamer15
ss Secret Panda Tournament
~ Winner: Wiiplayer113
~ DQs: DisposableClam, asmodous, MamboJambo
ss Masters of Gaming
~ Winners: Cirpacha, Thyrael
~ DQ: yourmomdad
ss Rise to Power
~ Winner: Svenskamordare
~ DQs: MicroGamer2, AioriaRox
ss Remembering Retro
~ DQs: bananagram, Luisn002, mayrakis, WiiPlayer113
ss The Road to Gaming Greatness
~ Winner: Fusha
~ DQs: sam1122922226737, Aakash
ss The Pinnacle of Gaming Achievement
~ Winner: Ben_B
ss The "Colosseum"
~ Winner: MaistlinRajere
~ DQ: Mdawg4
ss SURVIVOR: Kongregate
~ Winner: hiperson134
ss The Quirky Capricious Kongregate Competition
~ Winners: Cirpacha, MaistlinRajere
ss The Kompetition
~ Winner: videogames518
ss Kongrefeint
~ Winners: Blizzard2000, videogames518, JoshDragon
ss V.O.K.
ss The Kongregate Olympic Games
~ Winner: Ben_B
~ DQs: dragonologist23, fatihkutay, Jaskaron2000

Flag Post

(Under construction)

Flag Post

Thanks for taking over Hipe when I can’t manage it anymore right now. My phone won’t scroll down all the way through the thread (seems to stop after a certain length) so I can’t see if any changes were made in any of the posts. If it hasn’t already been made, could you put (NOT AVAILABLE) next to my name where I’m listed under the co-host/spreadsheeter part? Also, like I said in the V.O.K. Round 1 thread, my future tourney is on delay until further notice.

Flag Post

Omg I’m next.

Flag Post

So there’s a list of people in line to look after this thread?
Where’s the Kongregate Kongregate Tournament Sign-Ups & Directory thread Sign-Ups & Directory thread? (if you know what I mean)

Flag Post
Originally posted by LouWeed:

Where’s the Kongregate Kongregate Tournament Sign-Ups & Directory thread Sign-Ups & Directory thread? (if you know what I mean)

But where do you sign up to run that thread? :p

Flag Post
Originally posted by hiperson134:

But where do you sign up to run that thread? :p

I would assume people post in the thread saying that they’ll run it if the current runner at the times unable to run it, & whoever posted before the other guys would be in front of them. Hiperson & Wii both did that in the thread I was running, but Hipe posted before Wii, so I noted it down in that order.

Flag Post

Could you change BadgesFreak to this account please?
And oh gawd, only 5 people away, I guess I should start preparing! :D

Flag Post

Eh, you’ll probably have 2-3 different accounts by then.

Flag Post

Sign. I’ve been in FGF for about a year several months ago, surprised I hadn’t seen this yet. They should sticky this…

Flag Post
Originally posted by DragonArcherZ:

Sign. I’ve been in FGF for about a year several months ago, surprised I hadn’t seen this yet. They should sticky this…

I think it was stickied a loooooong time ago, IIRC.

Originally posted by racefan12:

Eh, you’ll probably have 2-3 different accounts by then.

Meh, let’s hope not! XD

Flag Post

I’m getting a little worried when there are only six people ahead of me… Oh well, thank god I’ve already got the qualifier planned and some games chosen.

Flag Post

While I have the chance to use my brother’s iPad, just so I don’t forget about my tourney in a way, I’m gunna re-repost this here, especially since I updated the directory link in my profile to this one…..

Originally posted by videogames518:

Signing Up

Name of Competition: Tough Fun (could still be renamed to something else)

Number of competitors being accepted: Any

Approximate run time: About a month

Names of Co-Hosts: 09Kisame09, Fricknmaniac, LouWeed, Lebossle, & BestMte

Names of Spreadsheeters: iGark, PR2_Story, LethalMutiny, Wiiplayer113, uuu2, BadgeHuntersAnon, Blizzard2000, MaistlinRajere, & MoustacheSniper

Other Info: Instead of eliminations, there will be a Point System instead. There will be 9 rounds, not counting the Qualifier. Also sponsored by IAmTheCandyman

Flag Post

I chose my successor… poorly.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:

I was doing a good job, just an unfortunate thing happened on my end to make my reign short lived. :(

Flag Post
Originally posted by videogames518:
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:

I was doing a good job, just an unfortunate thing happened on my end to make my reign short lived. :(

Frick warned you not to cross the seal!

Flag Post

Exiled, you are updated.

Originally posted by DragonArcherZ:

I would love to put you on once you use the format in the third post titled “Hosting your competition:”

Flag Post

Starting Competition
Name of Competition: The Kongregate Olympic Games
Number of competitors being accepted: No Limit.
Approximate run time: While Olympic Cauldron is lit. So 27th July 2012 to 12th August 2012
Names of co-hosts, spreadsheeters, etc.: SamsterSamster as cohost; asmodous,MaistlinRajere,BadgeHuntersAnon,Blizzard2000,uuu2, and videogames518 as spreadsheeters.
Link to Qualifier Round: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/283375-the-kongregate-olympic-games-qualifier-sign-up-now

Flag Post

ExiledGentleman has left :’(

Flag Post

Signing Up

Name of Competition: Triwizard Tournament
Number of competitors being accepted: 100
Approximate run time: 5 weeks
Names of co-hosts, spreadsheeters, etc.: None
Other: Based on results of competitors, points will be awarded by place.

I’ll be planning out the tournament while waiting for my turn.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SamsterSamster:

Again? For how long this time?

Flag Post
Originally posted by SamsterSamster:

Again? For how long this time?

Permanently, I believe.