Forums Kongregate

Private rooms are broken.

33 posts

Flag Post

Before I get into this, let me just say: I like K+ and I thoroughly enjoy private rooms. I know there was a lot of controversy about it when it launched, but I think it’s a good product.

I played Anti-Idle and essentially purchased K+ (charter!) for the sole purpose of setting up an Anti-Idle room. It was great. It was absolutely fantastic; I love it. After about a month of using the system, I began to get tired and frustrated and slacked on maintaining the room. I like to keep my room pretty active and full of my friends (and people I think are cool and won’t violate my “idiot free” zone), to get the full use of it, y’know? So, having to stay on top of +20 people is a lot of work.

I’ve mentioned this in the Suggestions thread and a few K+ related threads (including the official one). I’m making a stand-alone thread because this feature really is broken. It’s been 6 months and nothing has changed with it. Not to sound spoiled or bratty, but I really think the following things need to be implemented:

1. Some form of a white-list, guest-list or auto-invite list. There’s several ways this could be done:
a). Base it on previous invites. If someone’s been in the private room before, then when they go to view the list of rooms, the room will be shown there.
b). Visible in the list for people you’re “following”.
c). Visible to people in the list that you’ve added to a white-list.
(Happy Alcoholic has suggested this in another thread also.)

2. When going to the ‘see connections’ option, the ‘leave room’ option is right above it. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve clicked that a few times.

3. Which brings me to this: when you click ‘leave room’ please have some sort of confirmation message. Maybe Kong Bot asks you in chat if you really want to leave and to close the room.

4. When you leave your room to enter another one, please don’t close the room behind you.

5. It’s more of an inconvenience then anything, but is there a particular reason you can’t change rooms from the Private tab?

6. Customization would be cool. Being able to rename the room, add an information page (like regular rooms) would be really neat. Make it personal, your own.

7. I understand there might be technical limitations to the filter, but if there’s a way to have it disabled in the room, that’d be cool.

I can’t think of anything else for now. If I’m missing anything, it’s probably small, nit-picky stuff that doesn’t really matter at the end of the day.

The point I really want to drive home: private rooms are an amazing feature that really help build connections with other people, which is exactly what Kongregate wants. BUT with the current technical limitations of invites and room closures, it makes it incredibly difficult and downright frustrating.

I know I’ve asked for a lot, I also know I’m not alone with thinking that these features are necessary. I really hope Kongregate decides it’s worth investing the resources required to implement these things. I really hate to say this, but we did pay for this so it’d be nice to be able to use it to it’s fullest.

[Edit: Oh, I remember another important one. Switching games is very inconsistent with letting you re-access the room. Some people complain that every time they switch games, they need another invite while earlier today someone was offline for 13 hours and auto-rejoined. Also, it’s just plain weird that sometimes you switch games and don’t auto-rejoin your own room, you have to send an invite to someone to be re-added.]

v Agreed. The priority should be a guest list and if only one thing is going to change, please make it that.

Flag Post

All of these would be awesome,but if only one thing could be changed, I’d add that “guest list”, that allows any chosen users to freely come and go.
This should be the priority.

Flag Post

Just pointing out another minor bug:

Flag Post

All this sounds just about as legit as K+ rooms could get. The guest list is the biggest one for me as well, because i always feel like i’m bugging someone when i ask for an invite.

Flag Post

I’m really disappointed that there hasn’t been any feedback or commentary on this. I know the new changes have overshadowed the points I raise, but that doesn’t invalidate them. Even a quick post saying “nope, sorry, these features aren’t technically feasible” would be better then nothing. This isn’t the first time these points have been raised and each time they’re met with silence. It dissuades me from renewing my K+ and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Flag Post

I support 1 and 6, but I don’t care about the others.

Flag Post

We get a lot of suggestions to the site, some are high priority and others not so much. We can pass this along to the product team, as private rooms could use some updates.

Flag Post

The first one would be great. I don’t care muchabout the other suggestions, they’re all kind of neat ideas, but not major stuff.

Flag Post
We can pass this along to the product team

…. They weren’t already working on any upgrades to the private room function?

Flag Post
Originally posted by HappyAlcoholic:
We can pass this along to the product team

…. They weren’t already working on any upgrades to the private room function?

We’re always looking for new ideas/additions. These are just some new things I can pass along.

Flag Post

Also, why is the private chat room name screaming at us?

Flag Post
Originally posted by MaistlinRajere:

Regular room names have been screaming lately as well, weird that it’s not all the time though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by uzzbuzz:
Originally posted by MaistlinRajere:

Regular room names have been screaming lately as well, weird that it’s not all the time though.

It’s not?

Flag Post

Auto invitor which allows certain people on hosts list to auto join would be neat indeed

Also, it really looks funny when private rooms names are capsed, as if its hosts whole name was capitalized as well

Flag Post

Bumping for relevance.
Also, is there any way in which the community can communicate with the people who work on Kongregate’s development, rather than via community managers?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zshadow:

We get a lot of suggestions to the site, some are high priority and others not so much. We can pass this along to the product team, as private rooms could use some updates.

This is really getting too frustrating and is beginning to affect my Kong experience (read: making me not want to be here anymore).

I maintain a fairly large private room. The room frequently has over 20 people in it and rarely has under 10. I’ve had a lot of freetime up until recently so it’s been easier to keep on top of invites, but even then, it’s a very frustrating and tedious task. We both need to be in chat at the same time and they need to accept, etc. It’s digital phone tag.

Actually, a few days ago I swore off ever using my room again, because it’d just become too much of a frustration and sore spot with me to deal with it anymore. Like I said above, it’s becoming a really negative impact for my Kong experience (which K+ is supposed to ‘enhance’ not cripple). I think I saw someone say somewhere that the developers were working on a few new things. I ask, plead that they seriously consider upgrading private rooms with the aforementioned features.

K+ is nearing a year now. The rooms have remained exactly the same since they were launched. At launch, they are a fantastic implementation, don’t get me wrong. But a year without any improvements/changed? That’s pretty bad, and I do know the UI changes has been the focus, which is fine. But please, take a look at private rooms. I really hate to bring this part up, but we did pay for it, afterall.

Also, is there any way in which the community can communicate with the people who work on Kongregate’s development, rather than via community managers?

This. No offence community adminstrators, you guys do a great job. But have you ever played telephone? Things get lost or mixed up in translation so it might be easier if the ‘vocal minority’ are able to talk directly to the developers. That way we get a realistic expectation of what is possible/feasible and the developers can directly tell us what they can do. I’m very confident that it’d be a very productive conversation and it helps us, the users, in the future because we know what suggestions are realistic and what’s not.

v Like I said in OP, for me, the main draw to K+ was the rooms. If by the time this account is up for renewal, if these issues aren’t addressed, I definitely will not renew. I can deal with seeing some pre-roll ads.

Flag Post

I’m a user who is often in Adv0catus’s room, and admittedly, I’d felt bad about him having to individually invite us all, whilst constantly checking his friends list to see if we were all on.

If you want people like he and I renewing our subscriptions when the first year is up(it almost is), you’re really going to need to upgrade the private room function, making it less tedious to use.
Private rooms being the main attraction for K+, if it’s left how it currently is, Adv0catus, and possibly others, may give up on using their rooms, and possibly on K+ too.

Flag Post

I’m a user who is often in Adv0catus’s room, and admittedly, I’d felt bad about him having to individually invite us all, whilst constantly checking his friends list to see if we were all on.

If you want people like he and I renewing our subscriptions when the first year is up(it almost is), you’re really going to need to upgrade the private room function, making it less tedious to use.
Private rooms being the main attraction for K+, if it’s left how it currently is, Adv0catus, and possibly others, may give up on using their rooms, and possibly on K+ too.

adv0 is totally gonna yell at you for capitalizing his name…

Flag Post

Maybe I love it when he gets aggressive.

Flag Post

Maybe I love it when he gets aggressive.

I’m going to make you regret saying that tonight…

Flag Post

I think that comment probably would have been better suited for your private chat room, not the public forums, adv0.

Flag Post

I really like these ideas and it would probably make a lot more people happier.

Flag Post

Nice detailed suggestions, adv0. I support most all of them.

Flag Post

The ‘white-list’ has been suggested since day 0. If there was only one thing done on this list, that would be it.

Perhaps a F+ (Friend+, which means you’re a selected friend of a K+ member – pretty cool, eh?) notation of sorts. This information could easily be edited/managed on a K+ member’s profile or changed individually via the User List, and the status could easily be stored on a member’s profile. Any F+ could simply click on the K+ member’s name and join their chatroom or find the chatroom in the Room List (just like I can see K+ rooms now), assuming the room has been set up. The K+ member also needs to be able to set the room to Invite Only, and perform a mass F+ invite.

The request to get in contact directly with developers, while having good intentions, is likely very unlikely. It’s not my place to answer, but it’s a pretty off-beat request. This is the whole reason there are community managers. That said, it would be nice to hear what the CMs think aboot these ideas. I would be pleased if they were to take a couple of these ideas back to the team.

Flag Post

Something else I think would be really, really useful: some sort of indicator that a user is in a private chat room. I rarely assume the ! in the Room tab means someone is talking to me since I don’t really use Room chat very often. Lately I’ve been finding out after friends have logged out that they had clicked a join link to follow me into the Room chat. It just looks like I’m AFK or ignoring them if they try to talk to me and get no response since I’m visible in the Room population list. Since I’m in the list, they don’t assume they need to /w me for me to see their messages.

This actually applies to games with dedicated chat rooms, too. Italics are already taken for AFK and strikethroughs for muted/silenced users. If separate image icons would be too much, how about an asterisk and/or dagger to indicate presence in an alternate chat?

Example:
IceWeaselX*†
IslandWeaselX

In addition to the Room chat, IceWeaselX is in Game chat and Private chat.
In addition to the Room chat, IslandWeaselX is in Private chat. IslandWeaselX is also AFK.