Forums Kongregate

The State of Kongregate. page 4

99 posts

Flag Post

People really need to stop attributing all the complaining to people hating change. That can only be applied in very certain situations, in most cases it’s just an excuse people use when they’re okay with the changes and can’t handle the fact that not everybody else is okay with them too.

Flag Post

everybody i have an idea
user an insert youtube videos in a post so what do you think?

Flag Post

It’s time for this again.

I’ll be short and sweet because I’m on mobile.

Kongregate’s users are suffering again at the hands of the administration of the site:

• Bugs that have been know for months that directly, negatively impact the user experience have been ignored – blatantly. (Ghost Messages)
  • Removal of the spam filter without explanation or acknowledgement, leading to relentless spam in Off-topic and various advertisement across the site.
  • Complete lack of communication with the community from the Community Administrators.
  • Behaviour by the Community Administration that, without context, can only be assumed to be blatant favouritism. (Account name changes)
  • Unfair policy changes and retroactively applying the previously unmentioned policy to harm members and the community-at-large. (Kreds prize policy)

[Edit: Almost forgot to mention that it’s hilarious that trickyrodent’s posts are still hidden after accidentally being flagged as spam and triggering all her posts to be hidden. It’s been like, a year, lulz.]

Flag Post

(This is in response to the OP)

I feel that the admins need to find a balance if they wish to keep a good ratio of income and userbase. They’re milking it for all it’s worth and stretching the site out thin, causing Kongregate to rapidly lose its appeal to the masses.

Flag Post

Just play your game(s) and have fun. :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by VforVendetta:

Just play your game(s) and have fun. :)

Don’t tell me what to do, thanks. I’m sure you wouldn’t like it if someone told you what your priorities should be, would you?

Also, good job on borrowing the sarcastic, “you’re an idiot” smiley from Zshadow.

Flag Post

Adv0, when I read your posts on this page alone the first thing I thought is that the problem is with how you’re viewing things.

Maybe you’re intentionally trying to make the site look worse than it is, maybe you genuinely see things like this, but IMO your perspective is pretty badly skewed. The fact that you interpreted V’s post as being sarcastic or condescending towards you is a good example: I just saw it as a friendly post to nobody in particular.

The points you listed have mostly been debated before, and the same applies. You see the ghost message fix as proof that Kong is ignoring users; I see it that Kong has been working on bigger features and haven’t had time to fix a minor bug that annoys a few people. You say the admins don’t post enough; I see a massive increase in admin posts since the last time you brought that issue up. And so on.

These angry, ranty posts seem to be your trademark and the more you rage about every little thing on Kong, the more it seems like you’re a/ unpleaseable, and b/ just determined to find fault with Kong. If that’s who you are, or who you want to be seen as, or whatever, that’s cool and not my problem, but I can’t help thinking that the community would be a nicer place if you were postiive about things rather than just emphasising the negative of every situation.

Flag Post

Personally, the only legitimate concern I agree with is the forum spam, and by extension, the removal of the spam filter (That I didn’t even know existed until a few days ago) without explanation.

Other issues have been acknowledged by the staff, but just haven’t been resolved yet. http://www.kongregate.com/forums/7-technical-support/topics/366358-ghost-game-message-notifications?page=2

I wouldn’t consider not getting an admin response as a complete lack of communication, but this a subjective argument.

As far as the account name and policy changes, I rather like what was said in another post that I’m about to cherry-pick a quote from. “Admins can do what they want. If their authority is okay with it, then it’s fine. They don’t operate by your perceived rules. Bias isn’t illegal.”

Flag Post

Wow Adv0 had a honest serious post about improving the site and you ppl jump at him, pathetic really.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mousethecat:

I wouldn’t consider not getting an admin response as a complete lack of communication, but this a subjective argument.

That’s the issue here. It does NOT take that long to write a simple forum post regarding the spam, and when/if it’s being addressed.

Flag Post

lol @ people who think kong staff are going to post about the spam

Remember that thread about the T icon? Where almost every admin on the site posted “lol ya its totes real guiz!!!” sarcastic posts until someone found actual proof. Then no more staff members posted in that thread until zshadow locked it a few years later.

They think that by not posting, nobody can think negative about them. Kong sold out years ago and anyone who thinks otherwise is dumb.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RollerCROWster:

Remember that thread about the T icon? Where almost every admin on the site posted “lol ya its totes real guiz!!!” sarcastic posts until someone found actual proof. Then no more staff members posted in that thread until zshadow locked it a few years later.

They think that by not posting, nobody can think negative about them. Kong sold out years ago and anyone who thinks otherwise is dumb.

true

does the T icon still exist tho?? lol

Flag Post
Originally posted by MaoWEE:

true

does the T icon still exist tho?? lol

It did, but they removed it a few months after it was discovered. Or they just changed its URL and they still have it???

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

There’s plenty of great things about this site. There’s an amazing community that I think has single handedly saved this site from fizzling out years ago. It’s amazingly resilient and takes self-governing and organization to an entirely new, impressive level. As well, as much as the overall quality of games has decreased, there’s still some amazing games that are being uploaded to this site and there’s been many, many amazing games in the past.

The thing is, that when something is great, no one needs to talk about it. It’s great, it’s wonderful, it serves its purpose exactly as intended and there’s no real reason to talk about it. Occasionally someone mentions how great it is but it mostly remains peacefully undisturbed. Things that don’t work, on the other hand. They suck, they’re frustrating, no one likes using them. It’s a terrible experience and an attempt is made to ‘fix’ the problem. To not make it suck, so it isn’t frustrating and so everyone likes it.

It’s not that there’s no positives and there’s all negatives. It’s that the positives don’t need to be mentioned while the negatives need to be addressed and fixed.

I’ve struggled with how to respond to your post for several minutes now. As you said, it’s subjective and to avoid a long winded, ultimately pointless and unfruitless debate, I won’t get into that. Suffice to say – I wholeheartedly disagree with you.

However, you’re absolutely correct. Bias isn’t illegal and the administration can do whatever they want, unchecked. All I’ll say is this: consumer’s wallets don’t like bias.

Originally posted by dias17se:

Thanks. It sucks constantly being demonized for just pointing things out and trying to make this site better.

Originally posted by Hallucent:

Pretty much this. Some people seem to be harping on my call for more interaction from the administration as a call for them to be glued to the forums, slamming F5, waiting for a post so they can jump on it and be the first to reply to it. That’s not the case at all. As I said earlier in this post, this community is amazing at self-governing and can generally muddle through issues on it’s own. However, some things genuinely need an administrator to reply to. Here’s a current example: “Will there be an opportunity to earn past Kongpanions?”

That’s an important question that has been left unanswered. No one knows the answer, except the administration, and even then (I have nothing against Heather – please don’t take that personally!), they’re not sure. Their responses don’t have to be huge text walls that are comparable to essays, either. They can simply say, “Hey, we acknowledge you and know you guys exist. In regards to topic A, we think B is the way to handle it because of C!” and that’s good enough. IAmTheCandyman posts the most, but from the way he structures his posts and the thread titles, it’s apparent that the vast majority are responding to flags, not actual ‘I want to contribute to this thread’ posts. JohannasGarden hasn’t posted in three weeks and trickyrodent’s is primarily ‘Using this forum’ threads.

Again, no one is asking them to live and breath the forums, but it’s part of the community (along with the chatrooms, hint hint) and as community administrators, they should contribute and be aware of the community in it’s entirety. It’s a large community and no one is expecting them to be experts on everything, just to have a presence. If they’re so busy with their other responsibilities (which seems, at least, partly true) that they can’t find the little bit of time to squeeze into the forums (it’s even been made easier for them) than there’s a huge, huge problem with the way this site is run. It seems like an unsustainable system that’s going to collapse at some point.

Based on the last time I had knowledge of such things, there’s no T icon or equivalent in use. With the way things are set up, there’s really no need for it now.

Flag Post

I hope at no point it sounded like I was against what you’re doing and why you’re doing it. I’m just trying to be as neutral and objective as I can be.

It would be nice to have official answers, or at the very least, a response acknowledging a situation, but they have no obligation to respond to these things here.

There’s a distinction between making posts/threads on the forums, and sending the admins a personal message or support ticket / e-mail. I think they’re much more likely/inclined to respond to a PM or e-mail than to a post in the forums. If several people have been sending PMs and e-mails and not getting responses, I would be concerned. But I don’t think it’s on their agenda to comb through the forums and respond to every question posted there that’s directed towards them.

I like Cman, I really do, but I’m going to support your cause here, by pointing out that he’s taken the time to respond to a thread like this, but hasn’t said anything about anything you’ve brought up in threads that, it’s easy to argue, are more important.

But posting in the public forums about issues and bumping related threads, to me, just comes off a bit soap-boxy.

Flag Post

But posting in the public forums about issues and bumping related threads, to me, just comes off a bit soap-boxy.

What else is there to do? If an issue or a question is important enough to warrant an administrative response, isn’t the community as a whole better served with that answer happening in a public forum (which serves exactly this purpose) instead of them telling x amount of people privately whatever answer they choose to give?

Flag Post

I wasn’t saying that an admin should provide responses privately. That wouldn’t make much sense, because anything they tell a user privately can end up posted on the forums anyway.

All I’m saying, is if you want a direct admin response, send a message directly to the admins.

If that yields no results, then I have no argument in defense to their lack of response.

Flag Post

Ah, I misunderstood what you meant.

It still seems pretty silly to me to have to send them a message like this, “Hey, community administation peoples. There’s a thread, ==”here":link== in the community forum that you should look at and hopefully answer!"

It’s super obvious that seemingly most people disagree, but the forums are part of the community and it should be in the community administration’s scope to administrate. They shouldn’t have to be told about this stuff. They should know enough about what’s going on to know about these types of threads.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

I find this whole situation a bit funny to be honest.

I joined this site two years ago mainly because I was interested in web/flash games and didn’t like alternatives. Since then I have been mostly playing games, talking in chats of multiplayer games that I played at various points and posting on specific game forums. Sometimes I would wander into general Kong forums to see whats up and eventually started noticing threads about how bad Kong is becoming, usually by same 6 (random number, haven’t actually counted them) users.

So here where it starts to get funny. One of the main arguments against these changes is that its turning Kong from gaming site into social site. But so far these changes had zero impact on my gaming. I play same as I played when I first registered. In fact looking at various “bad” changes its noticeable that people interested in social features are more likely to notice those changes. New profile? I didn’t even notice because my profile is completely irrelevant to my gaming needs. Same goes for most of those “bad” changes.

Its really baffling how same people are saying that Kong should be about games first and then complain about new profile layout, as if it somehow undermines gaming aspect of the site.

Flag Post

The issue about Kongpanions being otherwise attainable was answered by Emily herself, on the very day that Kongpanions were released. I have acknowledged in the past that we are reading the thread but don’t yet have a response prepared because we still don’t know what we want to do with a lot of these things. They develop over time, things change, Kongpanions evolve (no, not like Pokemon).

TL;DR: We still don’t know for sure, but we’re still considering that it is a possibility.

Flag Post

Thank-you for re-clarifying. Obviously all of us missed that.

Flag Post

I don’t think the user’s of Kongregate are suffering at all. Sure there are some inconveniences that some user’s encounter on the site, but all of these problems you listed here DO NOT have any sever negative impact on most Kongregate user’s which come here to either play games, chat to other people, or both. I get that you are trying to make Kongregate a better place, but you gotta remember it’s less than 50 of them trying to cater between 80,000-95,000 users a week (Number’s are based off which people obtained Kongpanions and may not be accurate) and you have to be patient with them.