Forums Kongregate

Fix the Fold Card Challenge Fiasco!

25 posts

Flag Post

I bought this computer this year. Not the most expensive computer mind—about the 2nd cheapest tier available at Fry’s, so it’s a new piece of junk instead of an old one.

I’m trying to get the card in Fold. It’s pretty much impossible. Thanks to an abysmally low frame rate I simply CANNOT aim quickly. There’s absolutely no way to predict exactly where the mouse cursor is going to go because it leaps around the screen in leaps and bounds.

I can complete the easy levels, mind, but I’m about 20k points short because I have to constantly redo shots because of the l——a——g making accurate aiming impossible.

Normally, I’d turn down the quality of the Flash to compensate but the game doesn’t allow that!

There is NOTHING fun about a game where the controls are uncontrollable and I know I’m not the only person to not have a state-of-the-art computer that’s capable of dealing with Fold’s inexcusably inefficient code and the unacceptable lack of a low quality graphics mode.

1) Can the game at least get a low graphics mode before the challenge is over?

2) Can future challenge games be tested on a less-than-stellar computer before being released as a card challenge? I thought this was a casual gaming site for the masses, not an exclusive site for those with the latest and greatest computers.

Flag Post

Okay, 2k points short. I’m so mad at the laggy frame rate that I can’t keep track of numbers!

Flag Post

May I ask which OS you are using? My computer is about the same age, also no top notch CPU, and I don’t have a problem at all with Fold – other than that I`m a loser at this game and the impossible badge is still to be earned :)

Even my really old laptop (4 years now?) would be fast enough for Fold – Athlon 1800 that is.

I understand your complain, but I don’t understand why a computer younger than 3 years is too slow for Fold.

Flag Post

I’m using Firefox under Ubuntu Linux.

Flag Post

The game doesn’t require a state-of-the-art machine. My computer’s was mid-range over a year and a half ago and it runs the game fine. Flash is an inexact beast so don’t accuse me of inefficient code just because you and a few other extremely vocal people are getting lousy performance. There’s plenty of players on Kongregate who get no lag, and on older machines.

You have a point about the quality setting option. I took it out because the game requires a lot of bitmap rotation which looks bad on anything but high. I’ll re-add an option to change the quality in the next update. No, this won’t happen immediately. Kongregate’s upload is a tad glitchy in the way it handles additional files which causes the game to require a manual fix on the server each time I upload it. This is beyond my control, but I’ve been told the Kongregate staff are working on a fix.

Flag Post

Linux? Well there’s your problem. Look, I love Linux too, but the Adobe Flash Player for Linux is known for being extremely slow compared to the Windows and Mac versions.

Flag Post

I’d like to throw something in on this whole topic. What I’ve quickly learned while working for the site is that the web is kind of a bitch when it comes to compatibility. At the moment theres still about a half dozen different popular browsers on at least 3 different major platforms. The problem with Fold may be more of a Kongregate-Linux incompatibility than a Fold-Linux incompatibility — but either way, it’s pretty impossible for us to keep the site and games running at optimal speeds with no glitches on all OSes and browsers.

What I’m getting at, is that if you are having issues using Kongregate, and you have any ability to try different browsers or OSes, please give it a shot. And while you’re at it, feel free to let us know which browsers we really need to take a look at with our quality assurance. Currently the site runs best on Mozilla FireFox on Windows and Mac, and runs very well on Safari with Mac. There are a few known issues with IE6 and 7 on Windows, such as slowdown on the badges page, and some profile formatting issues.

We have very little data on Linux operating capabilities, as I think that is probably our least tested platform. If you find one Linux browser or setup that seems to work better or worse than the others, please let us know.

Flag Post

Yes, on IE there is EXTREME slowdown on the badges page, so I NEVER roll over any of the badges because it screws up miserably.

Flag Post

There is a ton of images being loaded on that page. that’s why. There’s probably abit of javascript in the background too .

Flag Post

yeah, luckily, at my house, we have 2 computers. It actually really depends on how much ram you have, not the cpu. one computer is brand new, with 256, and does terrible. one is around 5 years old, with 1G ram, and burns right through that game. It really does need a quality button, thats actually why I only gave the game a 4.

Flag Post

well one thing, is that he might have made the game with a somewhat low frame rate, i have a pretty highend compy(for a laptop)
and its gives a bit of lag, buts its minimal, my real problem with flash is that if you have more that one up, keyboard responsive ness goes down.

Flag Post

The game runs at 24fps, although the cursor updates as often as possible.

Flag Post

@damijin: when it comes to flash games, there’s no difference between the browsers, is it? I mean … the player is embedded, therefore browser-independent!?

@harmless: there’s your problem, as said before. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a linux lover (heck, I’m making my income as a software developer for Linux applications). But: Flash player is incredibly slow on Linux machines. Guess how I got the impossible badge in streamline? Using an old 2GHz CPU and Linux – this “game” comes in slowmo…

Flag Post

I’m using SeaMonkey and never experienced any problems apart from the fact I hate Fold and suck at it too =P

Flag Post

To noice: Logic would say that should be true, but it’s not. At least… not 100%. We’ve had several cases where games run under certain browsers on our site, but are broken in others. I think in most cases this had to do with our shell, not the game itself, or a conjunction of the two just causing a mess. I don’t really know, I’m not a technical person or a web person by far. I just observe the problems and pass them to the smart people :D

Flag Post

I’ve only just got the card today, it’s a terrible game and I did lag for a while. And the badges page REALLY needs fixing for us IE users.

Flag Post

no, IE users need a fix, called firefox :). now, seriously: the badges page is really really bad on IE, I tried using IE to check some stuff, and was terrified. on FF it works amazing, but on IE it sux..

Flag Post

ok look……… my computer is a 7 year old windows xp that has super slow internet and takes 10 minutes to start up…….. tell me why my cheap cheap cheap computer can play this game but not yours…………

Flag Post

Duly noted on the IE badge page issue. I only became aware of it a few days ago, so I’ll make a push for ya’ll microsoft junkies :)

Flag Post

There ARE people out there still using IE? I thought only ill-restricted companies and newbies are using IE. No offense, just really wondering why anyone should use a browser at least one generation behind.

Flag Post

Finally got the card. Was able to find a way to counter the lag in the early levels enough that getting zeroes on the very lag sensitive later levels was OK. (And I got lucky on one of those levels—the lag sent my shot nowhere near where I wanted it but it just happened to land in a playable spot anyways!)

I’m glad to have the card and even more relieved that I’ll never have to play Fold again to keep up with the card game!

Flag Post

Actually, there are the Microsoft purists who won’t let their kids use FF, like my dad. :D

Flag Post

pretty much just use IE7 because I can’t be bothered to change, don’t need the add-ons, and have never had major problems with it.

Flag Post

Well, some are trying out at least the major browsers to find the one that best fits his needings. Seems not everyone is doing this. Keep in mind that some needs come with the features (this argument is not only browser related). Just think about tabbrowsing introduced some years ago: the WWW was 10 years old and noone though of tab browsing. Now noone wants to miss it after having it tried just once.

I cannot understand how someone can say “I don’t need the features I haven’t tested”, but as I said: this is no offense. Everyone should live and browse as he wants to :)

I don’t understand Microsoft (or Linux or <insert>) purists either :). Restraining to <whatever> because of just believing it is the best (and not knowing by experience) is one big, unmistakable sign of untold stupidity.

To have kong related stuff in this posting:

I need new badges :)

Flag Post

This has been an issue for a while now; Fold won’t respond to the spacebar. Every other game works fine, but I can’t retrieve anomalies in IE or FF.