Forums Kongregate

Too many Random Topics in Kongregate Forum

10 posts

Flag Post

The kongregate forum(as apposed to the Off topic, games, art, programming and music forums) is full of topics that don’t belong here. A few examples I picked out:

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1/topics/2786 – A topic about game, should be in the game forum.

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1/topics/2806 -A topic, although about a Card, which is kinda kongregate, really is about this guy can’t play the game fold on his PC.

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1/topics/2781 -this is just random

So why are these topics allowed? Well they are legitimate topics, just in the wrong place. The mods seem to be really lax about the Kongregate forum and topics there, compared with some other places. At times it’s more like an off topic forum. Really there should be a “Technical Support Forum” for a bunch of the stuff in the Kongregate forum. I don’t know if admins can move topics, but they can lock, and they should do something about these random topics. Another thing, these needs to be a better description for the Kongregate forum, not just “anything relating to kongregate”, which almost imposes on games and off topic.

Flag Post

One could say even this topic doesnt belong here too since there is a forum discussion sticky in the off topic forums for these issues: "Discussion Regarding the Forums ":http://www.kongregate.com/forums/2/topics/2344

If you have a problem with a thread, you should report it. If it gets enough complaints and I see the community feels a certain way, it will be locked.

I do agree that they dont belong here, but I dont have the power to move threads, only lock them. Only admins can move them, so that leaves me with the only option to lock them. Thats a bit difficult to do if discussion has already occurred, plus it upsets a particularly unhappy/vocal group of users who claim repression and demand explanations for every locked or deleted thread.

Flag Post

Well, they should give you the power to move topics. A forum mod seems underpowered if he can’t even move legitimate topics in the wrong place. What can you do then? Lock, delete posts, ban users?

Flag Post

Yup.

Its the result of the developers of the forum package not properly implementing these features. It is really quite annoying.

Flag Post

Yeah, not to offend, but this forum package kind of sucks…. I hope after AS3 API and the card game(which should be the end of beta, right?) they get a more invisionfreeforum like package.

Flag Post

I don’t like the Invision free forum package specifically, but I do like the features it has, like better quoting, good mod and admin power distribution etc.

Flag Post

I prefer VBulletin. I mod a community that uses VBulletin and its features and optional add-ons are great. I’m sure even invision would be better than this though.

Flag Post

Yeah, I was with an invision forum. It had nice features, and the mod powers were better. Mods couldn’t delete topics entirely, but to give the same impression for directly harmful topics they put them in a hidden recycle bin. Come to think of it, they did that with everything so they had more total posts. Ah well.

Better then this. Never been on a vbullitin though.

Flag Post

Getting back to the real issue/point of this thread, I think at least someone should post a “This is the wrong forum, try harder next time” message in this kind of thread if the discussion is to entrenched to be easily locked or deleted. Or perhaps we could have a forum admib payed by Kongregate to do these things? Maybe when kongregate is more profitable or has larger forum traffic. I notice a distinct lack of ads on the forum…

Flag Post

My personal view on it is that I don’t like being a forum nazi. It doesn’t really bug me when people post things that are a little off topic without knowing that they did something wrong, as long as it’s not a blatant flame fest of character defamation. Which we do get from time to time.

Anyway, I think we should have a technical support board.