Forums Kongregate

TheWhiteAngel Ego Inflation

8 posts

Flag Post

TheWhiteAngel, first of all, thank you.
All this time, I have met average everyday people, only to see them RAGE in real life and on the internet(some flash game chat rooms that will remain anonymous), little did I know they were letting their Epic Magikarp loose. It all makes sense now. How did you discover the Epic Magikarp?

Haha. You’re welcome.
I guess being a big fan of Pokemon as a kid because the other kids liked it, and Magikarp just seems to me like… an anomaly in the Pokemon world: It’s useless and then it rocks as Gyarados, and then there’s the colours. Magikarp’s red, usually for anger, and Gyarados is blue like calm, but it’s the opposite? WTF? I guess I felt a connection with the Pokemon, I feel a lot like Magikarp sometimes. Even how they portray it in the cartoon, it’s the very Ned Flanders of Pokemon. I guess you don’t really expect an image of Magikarp to be deep, it just splashes on top of the water. LOL.

So, what’s your real name?

I’m Jack Taylor, it’s not hidden. I’ve never really felt like hiding my name because I always thought it was pointless.

Where do you live?

I live in England, Newcastle in the North East. You can thank us for such delights as Cheryl Cole and Geordie Shore.

How did you come up with your username?

Hahaha, Oh God, I knew the username one was coming… I hate my username, I made it in 2007 when I first joined. The origin of it… is this. Still couldn’t tell you why the Hell I chose to use that as the inspiration of all things, but I guess it was just not being able to think of anything I liked when I was younger, I probably wouldn’t like anything I would have chosen.

What brought you to Kong?

What brought me… uh, I guess the badges, I think that’s what everyone is going to say. I was on Newgrounds since I was like 8 years old(I’m 17 now, readers), because again, it’s one of the cool things to be doing and when I found Kong I thought the badges was pretty cool and that made me stay here instead.

What is your favorite game on Kong?

My favourite game on Kong is probably You Have To Burn The Rope or Kingdom Rush.

What is/was your favorite story to tell, or favorite storytelling moment?

Man, this is a hard one… I use anecdotes all the time and there’s probably so many good examples over the years, but probably a moment with my college friend, Jon. He was asked to staple his work and he just burst out with; “I’LL STAPLE YOUR FACE!” to the tutor. Not a long story I know, but I’ll never forget that and we’ll never let him forget it either.

Cool quote on top of your profile, Do you feel any different about gaming? Is there any type of environment or experience that gaming can produce that wouldn’t be seen as an alternative to the actual experience?

Yeah, I didn’t write that speech a long time ago, so not really. Uh… I think it’s mostly alternatives, lol. Not many young people who play games really have the luxury of feeling the concepts of things such as love or mortality, which are quite popular in serious games and it’s probably why we can so easily adapt to things like Grand Theft Auto as if there’s nothing wrong with it. I guess it’s mostly no? I don’t know what other people think about it, but some people think of me as pretentious for my views on games. The things that wouldn’t be seen as an alternative to the actual experience is probably, the feelings of the characters that emulate what we’ve felt, maybe.

Who would you say is your favourite Developer?

I would have to say Edmund McMillen, creator of Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac, as well as the amazing, VALVe. Their games inspire me greatly.

You are the first room owner I have interviewed. What’s it like to own The Hive? Any fond memories or people you would like to mention?

The Hive is not what it once was, you might say, there’s not as much activity as it used to have so the joke about it “buzzing” is no longer always correct. I still think it’s a fun place to be at times, and hope there’s some more “fond memories” to be made, I can’t exactly think of a single a fond memory because there’s a lot of them. I give a shout out to my friends on Kong who have supported me the most, zek136, magekirbys and craftsman465. Magekirbys was probably my first real friend made on this site and I still enjoy chatting with him today.

Why do you game?

Ooh, this is a hard one. I guess, I play games because it brought me happiness originally, because people around me played games so much too, and that lead to my dreams of being a game artist in 2009, until then my ambition had been “Author” and I guess it was because whenever I was told I was good at something, that’s what I wanted to do. And with that thought around, I come back to: I game because of the same reason.

What is the first life experience you can remember?

The first life experience I can remember is probably falling off the top bunk of the bed I shared with my sister onto the floor head first. My head had actually hit my sister’s lamp on the way down, I was only about 5 or 6 years old so I had to scream for help until my mum came running and there was a lot of blood, as I remember it. My sister got there as well, but she was only interested in the lamp having blood stains. That was a trip to the hospital I’ll never forget, and I have a theory that I’ve lost a lot of my memory from that – with that being my first memory in my mind and everything before and a lot of my life being a big blur, I think other people remember a lot more than I can. I can hardly remember breakfast, is what I usually say, haha. And I’m sorry if my first life experience is mortifying for this interview, hahaha.

Are you a Brony(male My Little Pony fan)? Your opinion on Bronies?

I’m not, I don’t really get the My Little Pony craze, and I don’t think I ever will, but I don’t hate them either.

Vampire hunting, Zombie apocalypse, any protips would be appreciated to survive either one.

Teamwork, is essential to any crisis that ravages so many people that it can be called a “pandemic”.

What are your thoughts on global warming, especially considering this most recent piece of questionable visual evidence?

Those Polar Bears and their “Polar Beers”, DEY DINK DEY’RE HOOMANS!

What’s your favorite quote?

“SEVEN ASSES” – Game Grumps, 2012.

Megaman is actually malware? Is this propaganda from Dr. Light, or is Megaman a terrorist? Do you have any conspiracy theories or unknown backstories to games you want to share?
Megaman as Malware.

Being someone new to this series, I’d have to say Megaman isn’t the same robot everyone thinks he is. The ending to Mega man 7 is surprisingly dark, SPOILERS!
and sees him try to end Wily’s life so that he doesn’t do the same thing all over again, alas, he does get away thanks to Bass and Treble.

Flag Post

Thanks for a great interview, TheWhiteAngel!
Do you still find yourself writing even though you’ve moved on to becoming an artist/developer?

Flag Post
Originally posted by JesseMH8:

Thanks for a great interview, TheWhiteAngel!
Do you still find yourself writing even though you’ve moved on to becoming an artist/developer?

PERFECT SCORE! BONUS QUESTION UNLOCKED!

Yes, literary skills can add to everything else you do, you understand the structure of a storyline and you can apply that to a game very easily.

Flag Post

How would you feel if a developer asked you to draw art for his game-If you don’t know him?

Flag Post
Originally posted by craftsman465:

How would you feel if a developer asked you to draw art for his game-If you don’t know him?

Considering this has happened in the past, I’d be okay doing it. I’m trying to make a game with someone I do know now because of this reason, I can easily draw what they tell me to draw when it’s someone I’ve spoken to across the internet… but I’m not getting on their wavelength most of the time, it’s hard to understand what they mean, especially with bad English and the art could come out lifeless

Flag Post

I hear that TheWhiteAngel is a pretty cool guy.

Flag Post
What is/was your favorite story to tell, or favorite storytelling moment?

Man, this is a hard one… I use anecdotes all the time and there’s probably so many good examples over the years, but probably a moment with my college friend, Jon. He was asked to staple his work and he just burst out with; “I’LL STAPLE YOUR FACE!” to the tutor. Not a long story I know, but I’ll never forget that and we’ll never let him forget it either.

Never boring when you are with Jon it seems o_o

Flag Post

It really isn’t, Dark. It really isn’t. It’s like watching a cartoon character.