Forums Kongregate

racefan12 Ego Inflation

18 posts

Flag Post
Racefan12 is smart, competitive, and tough to pass when he is fighting for the championship, just like his favorite NASCAR driver, Ryan Newman.

Hi racefan12, mind if I ask your name?

My first name is Cody. My last name... well, as I like to say, “It’s a need-to-know subject, and you don’t need to know.”

Cody, what brought you to Kong?

Someone started a thread about Dolphin Olympics 2 on a forum I visited regularly at the time, Art of Problem Solving(here’s a link to the actual thread). At first, I thought Kongregate was just going to be a site that I occasionally visited when I got bored, but I made an account a month later and have only increased my activity on the site as the years have gone on.

Congratulations on beginning your final year as an accounting major. What are your plans for the future, and perhaps some college experiences?

I had the fortune of working at an accounting firm in a nearby town this summer, and I plan to go back there once I graduate. Accounting is one of the more in-demand fields, but every job is highly competitive in today’s environment. You have to go above and beyond merely studying to stand out, and you have to take every opportunity to do something extra and build your network of connections--you never know when they might come and handy, and I wouldn’t have my current job without them.

Being an accountant, you must have some joy that comes from dealing with numbers. What’s something regarding numbers or statistics that comes to mind with this question.

Yeah. I’ve always loved math. When I was in high school, I competed in statewide Number Sense competition, where you have to answer as many questions as possible (without skipping any) in a very short period of time. Some examples of the tests are here --at my peak, I could answer 50-60 questions in just 10 minutes. In college, I discovered that there was a lot more to higher level math than just numbers--so I switched gears from math to accounting. Now, I still get to work with numbers on a daily basis--they just have dollar signs in front of them.

What’s your favorite game on Kong?

You mean I have to pick just one? It would probably have to be Tukkun’s Math Challenge.

Do you have a favorite chat room? You have any favorite part of the forums? Any friends on here you would like to mention or give a shout out?

I’ve spent the majority of my time here in League of Gamers, but the room’s still never really recovered from the plague of trolling and rudeness (and sometimes apathetic modding) that originally caused me to leave a year and a half ago. I greatly enjoyed my time in The Red Bucket, but nowadays that room’s just too dead for my liking (it always was quiet at some points, but I think a large part of the problem is that several of the regulars got Kong+ and now spend most of their time in private chatrooms).

I’ve always been involved in the Kongregate forum, but in the past year or so, I’ve really been welcomed with open arms into the amazing Forum Games Forum community. AdeebNafees, Bluji, SamsterSamster, Mysterymason, S_98, and too many more to name are great competitors and even better people.

I’ve also made a lot of friends through the Kongregate forum gaming competitions that I just can’t get enough of. WiiPlayer has been perhaps my biggest rival and friend ever since our very first competition, The Gauntlet, nearly 3.5 years ago. VG, Maist, Lou, LM, and several others are also really fierce competitors.

What do you do when you’re not on Kongregate?

When I’m not on Kong, I’m most likely doing some combination of the following: listening to music, watching TV, reading a book, watching sports, playing sports, procrastinating on homework, or muttering under my breath about how my computer overheated again.

Unless I’m working--then I’m not doing any of the above.

Why do you game?

Because I’m competitive. I always have to try to be the best that I can at everything I do, and games give you a clear goal to reach, and (if they’re good) a good challenge to reach it.

The reason I find Flash games particularly attractive is because they’re free. The only gaming devices I owned growing up were handheld consoles (besides the Super Nintendo a friend gave me when he was getting rid of it), and even then, I could only afford to have a handful of games for each. I’ve always loved video games, but it’s only been over the last few years since I discovered Kong that I’ve been able to properly enjoy them.

Do a lot of your friends or people in your town game?

As far as I know, not really. I mean, the usual suspects are there--people talking about and playing the latest Halo, Call of Duty, or Madden football game are pretty common. But as far as someone who plays and enjoys the full spectrum of games like I do--if there is anyone like that around here, I haven’t met them.

I would assume coming from a small town in Texas, there would be a lot of farming and outdoor living. This doesn’t appear to be the case for you. What is it you love about living where you are that someone might now know?

Well, it’s full of wide open spaces. I’m glad I can live on 3 acres of land and not be confined to a small backyard in the middle of a big city. The lack of traffic is also an advantage. I also live less than 2 miles from a dirt track that hosts races every other Saturday for half the year (which I’m sure helped develop my love of NASCAR). Around here, you don’t get lost in the crowd--you get to know everyone, and they get to know you as well.

What is the origin of your username?

I think it’s pretty much self-explanatory, but copy/pasting from my profile (unlike in my WhatPulse User of the Week interview), “My username comes from my passion for NASCAR racing and my favorite driver, Ryan Newman, who drove the #12 car until changing to the #39 for the 2009 season.”

You are a NASCAR fan. When I have tried to watch the sport, it is lost on me. What are some of the aspects that you appreciate that make you a fan, that I am clearly missing out on?

Well, funny you should ask that this week, as I can provide this video of the amazing last lap of last week’s race. Clearly every race isn’t that exciting--but every game of football, basketball, or (insert your favorite sport here) isn’t always exciting, either.

I’ve actually given a 15-minute presentation as to why I watch NASCAR as part of my Professional Speaking class a couple of years ago. Obviously, I don’t have that kind of time here, but I’ll say this: If you haven’t seen a race in person, you haven’t seen anything. TV often doesn’t do it justice, as it can only focus on one spot at a time. There are 43 cars out there, and at any given moment, there are always multiple battles for position out there to see. Even if the leader is far ahead of the field, you’ll see cars going 3-wide battling for sixth place. That’s what I think distinguishes NASCAR from other forms of racing like Formula One--the competition (and you know I crave competition). There are easily 20 or more cars that can win a race in any given week, as opposed to just a handful in any given week.

I also believe that you have to understand a sport before you can become a fan of it. Although the casual, first-time viewer often doesn’t realize it, ever-changing strategy and unpredictable turns in fortune are a part of any NASCAR event. If you’re just flipping channels and happen to catch a couple of laps, it won’t interest you because you don’t know what’s going on. If you truly want to get the full effect of a NASCAR race, watch it all the way from beginning to end, preferably in the company of someone who is already knowledgeable about NASCAR and can explain everything that is taking place that the TV announcing crew (they’re often less than competent) fails to explain.

Why is Ryan Newman your favorite driver?

I’ve always considered the number 12 to be my favorite number, even before I started watching NASCAR. So when Newman entered the sport in the #12 car, I was immediately interested in him. I also respect the fact that he’s one of the smartest drivers in the sport (he has an engineering degree from Purdue) as well as his racing style of never giving an inch to anyone (most drivers consider him one of the toughest drivers to pass).

You are a big fan of trivia. When do you plan on going on Jeopardy! and any bits of random trivia you would like to share?

Well, I’m no Ken Jennings--but I am a big fan of Jeopardy! and game shows in general. Again, it’s just the competitor in me. It’s never been practical for me to try out for a show while going through school (as I wouldn’t be able to fly to Los Angeles anyway)--but who knows, I might give it a shot sometime in the future.

In lieu of me providing random trivia, I’m going to encourage everyone to check out the amazing quiz site, Sporcle. You’ll learn more by spending 10 minutes there than from reading any random trivia I could come up with on the spot.

You are a fan of country music. I like country music as well. You have a favorite song at the moment, any you like to listen to while you are gaming?

Country music isn’t necessarily the best music to listen to while gaming, though when I’m on Kong, I usually will be listening to Pandora shuffling between two country stations, a classic rock station, and a 90s alternative station. I’m actually not a huge fan of the country music that has come out over the past couple of years, though. My favorite recent song is probably Jason Michael Carroll’s “Hurry Home”.

Are you a Brony? Your opinion on Bronies?

No. I look at the brony phenomenon like any other fad that I don’t understand (like Justin Bieber, Halo, or ragecomics). I don’t hate them for liking it; I just don’t understand why they do.

Do you play any sports?

Do I play sports? Sure, whenever I get the chance. Do I play them well? Not really. I’m horribly uncoordinated, and rather unathletic as well. Nevertheless, I love to play sports, because again, there’s always competition and the pursuit of winning that sucks me in. Exercising for the sake of exercising, though, (which is needed to do well in sports) bores me to the point that I consider it basically a form of torture. I’ve thought about posting in Off-Topic’s Health and Fitness thread (which I lurk in regularly) to try to see if there’s any way that I can get motivated to exercise, but it’s something that I just haven’t been able to get myself to do yet.

Anything you would like to say to all of Kongregate out there?

I can’t believe I’ve said this much without mentioning my love of Pokemon. I’ve been a fan of the games for well over a decade, and I eagerly await the day when I can get the latest games (October 7th, as my sister keeps taunting me with). And for all the Gen V haters out there, you can just go back to the buggy, glitch-filled, unfinished mess you came from.

Vampire hunting, Zombie apocalypse, any protips would be appreciated to survive either one.

Are we talking real vampires, or “Twilight” vampires? If the former, sorry, you’re on your own--if the latter, just give them one good shove and they’ll be down.

As for a zombie apocalypse, just remember this: You don’t have to outrun the zombies, you just have to outrun whoever you’re around. So hang out with some slow, fat people.

What do you think of roleplay in chat?

It can get annoying if done excessively, though like with any other chat misbehavior, the people complaining about the behavior are far more annoying than the person who originally acted up. This is actually what I disliked most about League of Gamers--constant counter-trolling and flaming by some of the so-called “regulars” of the room.

What are your thoughts on global warming, especially considering this most recent piece of questionable visual evidence?

Down with polar bears--I’m firmly on Team Penguin.

All joking aside, I think it’s fairly evident that global warming is in fact occurring, but I firmly believe that it is a natural occurrence, and humans have had little to no impact on it. The Earth’s weather has been changing for billions of years--I think it’s a bit presumptuous to think that we’ve somehow caused the most recent change.

What’s your favorite quote, something you say or from someone else. Here’s a few if you want one/some to talk about:

“All generalizations are false”. I also like one-liners, and paradoxical and/or ironic statements in general.

“Kitty!” ~Boo, Monster’s Inc.

If you want to talk about Pixar, “Just keep swimming” (Dorie, Finding Nemo) is far more iconic.

“Most ignorance is vincible ignorance. We don’t know because we don’t want to know.” ~Aldous Huxley

“Ignorance is bliss.” There are many things that people are better off not knowing, and it’s impossible to learn everything. Put another way, “The more I learn, the more I realize that I don’t know anything.”

“Friends! Help! A guinea pig tricked me!” ~Dr. Zoidberg, Futurama

“Shut up Brain! I have friends now. I don’t need you anymore!” ~Lisa Simpson, Simpsons

I don’t watch Futurama or the Simpsons, so I can’t really comment on the above quotes, except to say that close friendship is a treasure that’s very seldom found. And you know what? I suck at treasure hunting.

Megaman is actually malware? Is this propaganda from Dr. Light, or is Megaman a terrorist? Do you have any conspiracy theories or unknown backstories to games you want to share? Megaman as Malware?

I think the title of the site describes the article perfectly--it is overthinking the situation. When I play games, I try not to think too much about the plausibility of the game, and just focus on how fun the game is to play.

Your comments on this photo from the Mars Curiosity rover?

If Martians actually did exist, I imagine that’s how they would feel. Although I love seeing space exploration and learning more about our universe, we have to remember that everything that we do has an impact on our surroundings.

Your profile lists the 5 most wanted badges, and the 5 sweetest badges you have gotten so far. Have any of those changed, and what are some gaming stories you can share that those lists bring to mind?

Pandemic 2 was horribly frustrating for me, as I’m sure it was for many others. The first time I completed the game, it was in 108 days. The second time, it was in 101 days. A month or so after that, I would have completed the game in time, but I somehow forgot to buy the fourth drug resistance. Then a couple of weeks later, I finally got the badge, after over 3 months of trying.

Particles, on the other hand, has trolled me for nearly 4 years--I first played the game on my very first day on Kong (getting the easy badge). I’ve gotten as close as 197 seconds, but still no badge.

I see you have 5 goals as well. I can help with number 2 and send cowfriend a 10,000 question interview. :P How have you gone about setting these goals for yourself on Kongregate?

I just always try for more--once I accomplish a goal, I then set the bar just a little bit higher. Lately, I’ve been limited by sheer lack of time (in addition to my own lack of skill), but I still keep those goals in the back of my mind--if I don’t, then I have no reason to keep playing. I always say that I’ve reached level 55 basically by osmosis--I don’t have very many particularly difficult badges, but I just keep plugging away and earning every easy badge and most of the mediums (and the BoTD also helps a lot).

Flag Post

Thanks for a great interview, racefan12! I enjoyed all the detail about Ryan Newman and NASCAR.
Sorry to limit you to only one game. I should change that for the future. What other games are favorites on Kongregate that went unmentioned?

Flag Post

The moral of this interview is that Race is competitive, I think…

Flag Post

I can’t deny that.

Flag Post

I enjoyed reading this interview, great work both of you :D

Flag Post

An interesting interview, great to know more about race, and thanks for the mention.

Flag Post

Glad you like it—I was just concerned that no one would take the time to read it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

Glad you like it—I was just concerned that no one would take the time to read it.

Obviously you can rely on all of us to pry into your life and get every detail that we can possibly get read it.

Flag Post

For the last few months, during which I have known him, Face has proved himself, repeatedly, to be someone who is intelligent, helpful and, above all, sensitive and the possessor of a quirky sense of humor. His active contributions in FGF, particularly his innovative and fantastic Forum Games have made him a popular regular within a very short time.

Though he planned to leave Kong (le gasp) recently, he eventually changed his mind (le cheer) and though his activity levels have fallen slightly, he is still around, and doing what he does best: giving everything his best shot.

Reading about “The Guy behind the Account” was as fun, insightful and interesting as I knew it would be, coming from a cool nub guy like Face. Keep being around, keep being a part of our community, and keep being awesome (though I think that’s already ingrained in your gene and you just can’t help it). You are always welcome in FGF, though I know I needn’t mention that, and will always be my friend as well!

P.S: I will have to note down that Zedcalypse tip in my survival guide. Very clever :p

Flag Post

Though he planned to leave Kong (le gasp) recently, he eventually changed his mind (le cheer) and though his activity levels have fallen slightly, he is still around

Now that I know my computer won’t shut down every two hours, I’ll be here more.

Flag Post

Down with polar bears—I’m firmly on Team Penguin.

This brought tears to my eyes. Happy tears.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dragonologist23:

Glad I could be of service.

Flag Post

Nice long interview. I love it. Good luck in life, Racefan :)

Flag Post

Looks like Team Penguin has a large popularity boom. :)

Flag Post

Everyone loves penguins. What’s not to love about them?

Flag Post
Originally posted by eProdigy:

Nice long interview. I love it. Good luck in life, Racefan :)

Thanks. It’s a crazy road and I’m not always sure where it’s going, but I just take it one day at a time.

Flag Post
Originally posted by hamuka:

Looks like Team Penguin has a large popularity boom. :)

Originally posted by AlexFromRomania:

I love you all.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AlexFromRomania:

They’re not dolphins.