Forums Kongregate

New badge discussion page 13

1507 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by JKuang:

Greg and Rawismojo, perhaps it’s time to rethink the criteria for badging games.

EDIT: Saved for posterity: http://i.imgur.com/HTwj9.jpg

This isn’t the first time the Galaxy Online developers have done this.

This also isn’t the first time Kongregate has badged a game that has engaged in the practice of ratings manipulation. In fact, what Shadowland Online did was even worse, targeting and requiring proof of individual high ratings.

As much as many of us tend to complain whenever a cookie-cutter MMO with zero gameplay gets badged, I understand why those games get badged. But this type of behavior needs to be clearly and explicitly disallowed. I believe both games should have their badges removed (especially SO), and that Kongregate should promote a policy forbidding a public link between rating (especially individual ratings) and in-game tangible benefits.

Because this is unacceptable.

Flag Post

That is extremely not okay.

Flag Post

A lot of these identikit MMOs do similar things.

On this occasion, it inspired me to allow the game to load fully, to make sure my rating of 1/5 gets counted.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NeilSenna:
On this occasion, it inspired me to allow the game to load fully, to make sure my rating of 1/5 gets counted.

I think that’s not enough. You need to play the tutorial for your vote to count.

Flag Post

No, you’ve got that exactly backwards (bolding is mine):

From the MMO Developer Guidelines:

For social/MMO games we recommend submitting a stat to us called “initialized” or “loaded” that sends a “1” each time the game loads successfully. This must be done early, generally at the title screen or no later than character selection/creation (if that happens first thing) – it cannot be post-tutorial or after the first level. We can use this stat to ensure that ratings for the game are by people who meet the game’s minimum system requirements.

Flag Post

Agreed, Prec. At the very least, don’t badge anything that does that.

Flag Post

Galaxy Online worst MMO I’ve ever played.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:
Originally posted by JKuang:

Greg and Rawismojo, perhaps it’s time to rethink the criteria for badging games.

EDIT: Saved for posterity: http://i.imgur.com/HTwj9.jpg

Well… since the rating is 3.79 now, I guess nobody is going to be getting vouchers and gemstones from the game rating.

Well, looking at the current trend, maybe there’ll be a reward for keeping it above 3.5. :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bluji:
Originally posted by uzzbuzz:

There’s something wrong with me if I am not completely hating my time with Arkandian whatever this one is called. The lag is an issue though, my computer can easily max out borderlands 2, GTAIV, and whatever else, and I doubt this flash game is that intensive…

That is… surprising. Also, I don’t like either of the badged games for today.

Not really. I mean, I was just playing Tomb Raider: Underworld on Steam on decently high settings, but I usually run 2-10 fps on any given game by Undefined.

Flash has some really awful graphical issues that never got fixed because Adobe beat everyone else to the market and now it’s all grandfathered into the bones of Actionscript, and it shows double on a browser-based app instead of a local one. It tends to be even worse because developers and their testers will debug their games locally and never bother to beta it browser-side, so they overestimate performance. Couple in Undefined’s continuous abuse of transparencied-icons-as-particles, which will bring almost any system to its knees in Flash.

But even that doesn’t explain how the menu screens and dungeon map of all things can move like a blimp. The only thing I can think of is that he’s not compartmentalizing object updates and draw functions and just continually drawing the entire UI tree at all times.

Originally posted by CowFriend:

We’ve done far worse, but that doesn’t really excuse the poor taste, and it definitely doesn’t excuse the foul play.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pykrete:

Flash has some really awful graphical issues that never got fixed because Adobe beat everyone else to the market and now it’s all grandfathered into the bones of Actionscript, and it shows double on a browser-based app instead of a local one. It tends to be even worse because developers and their testers will debug their games locally and never bother to beta it browser-side, so they overestimate performance. Couple in Undefined’s continuous abuse of transparencied-icons-as-particles, which will bring almost any system to its knees in Flash.

There’s other evidence of poor coding: in particular there’s the whole “check if opponent is stunned before checking is opponent is dead” when running on auto-mode, which leads to multiple extra hits at the end of a battle. (Arkadian Explorer basically asks to be played with battles on Auto-Normal mode; they’re just so much faster overall.)

Flag Post

The Papa’s games should have never gotten badges. I can’t stand any of them. Only 1 game in a series should get badges. Unless they are completely different and not just a updated version.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Applehead3:

The Papa’s games should have never gotten badges. I can’t stand any of them. Only 1 game in a series should get badges. Unless they are completely different and not just a updated version.

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t get badges. As long as it meets the criteria, any game could get badges. All of Kongregate’s userbase needs to be represented and that includes games in genres that you do not like.

Flag Post

The time commitment on Arkandian Explorer is way off. My play time is about an hour and 15 minutes and I won’t get the easy badge for another dungeon or two, while usually you can get those within about 20 minutes or much less. I only have one artifact found so far, so I can’t imagine how long the challenge is going to take. And it’s not even enjoyable, it’s just old at this point. As with other series that do this kind of thing, it must be cool for newer people who haven’t played the previous games (and I guess they also have to like the genre(s)), but for me, having played every game that has been badged in all of Kong, it’s just kind of getting old. I’ve gotten really tired of nearly all of undefined’s games, though, so maybe I’m just not as into them as some people are.

But anyway, my point stands: the easy badge and the challenge, at least, for this game require much more time and effort than they have in the past.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Applehead3:

Well Pizzeria deserved badges for sure. When that was the only “Papa” game out, I loved that game. But the series is played out for sure. How ever I could care less if the games keep getting badges because I don’t mind them, and I am good at them.

Flag Post

I would say for it’s genre (Facebook style), it’s actually one of the best I’ve ever played. But that is not saying it is a good game either.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Shoru500:

I would say for it’s genre (Facebook style), it’s actually one of the best I’ve ever played. But that is not saying it is a good game either.

Galaxy Online lacks simple things like telling you how much experience you need for the next level, or how much experience an action gives you. Or giving you some idea of the fleet strength you need to successfully fight an instance.

It has more complexity than your typical Facebook game, but all of that complexity gets shunted into “How do I kill things faster with my fleet”?

Flag Post

I just wanted to point out that on the first badge for Wrestle Jump, it describes the match as a best-of-5 match; when in fact, it is a best-of-9 (i.e. first-to-5) match.

Flag Post

Oh yay another badge on one of my favorite unity games. This may be the first time I can instabadge a game in between badges.

Flag Post

I guess this thread deserves a bump with new Friday badges up (sorry).

Papa’s Hot Doggeria, with an easy (10 dogs with hot dog sausages served) and a medium (rank 9).

Flag Post

I guess it’s not so bad since it’s just an Easy and a Medium…

Flag Post

Why bother looking for good unique games when you can just badge grindy sequels of a played-out series.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

I guess it’s not so bad since it’s just an Easy and a Medium…

Yeah, we really dodged a (metaphorical, raw) bullet with these badges.

Edit: At the end of the day, look at the scoreboard in the background. Whatever league that baseball team is in, there must not be a single good pitcher, because I’ve never seen either team score less than 10 runs in a game and usually at least one of the teams gets over 20 runs.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bluji:

I guess this thread deserves a bump with new Friday badges up (sorry).

Papa’s Hot Doggeria, with an easy (10 dogs with hot dog sausages served) and a medium (rank 9).

*Slaps forehead * I just finished getting every badge from Flipline games and then this gets badged literally a week later. Well… I guess it’s time to go again.

Flag Post

The inevitable Papa’s, a sequel to what I remember was a very poorly balanced upgrade shooter, and a Tower Defense. And this on the tail of an MMO and Arkandian Whatever. Apparently this is Dull Grind Month or something.

Flag Post

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1/topics/978?page=270#posts-5870387

I suggested ‘Star Wars’ as a badge name for the original Notebook Wars 3. Though, it is a pretty obvious badge name for the game, but whatever.