Forums Kongregate

New badge discussion page 22

1508 posts

Flag Post

Yeah, the scrolls/runes are basically the way to win the fights quickly and get out of the game. They give a bunch of them to you with the intent to have you ration them out for tough fights, but you can use them to outclass unsuspecting other level 8 people who intend on playing the game longer or don’t realize how to use them.

Flag Post

Overall, I didn’t find that medium badge to be that bad. I got one win by getting matched with a friend who let me win, and the next two were relatively easy matches against random people. I guess it’s because I played through the main quest line and got some good units that helped, but the main thing is understanding which units do the most damage to which other units (if you go in blindly attacking anything, you have a much lower chance than if you know which units to use against the opponent’s units).

Flag Post

Three badges (E-M-H) and an item challenge are up on Renegade Racing. They seem to be balanced pretty well.

Flag Post

I think they’re balanced well, but still are all on the easy side of things. I really didn’t struggle with any of the races or challenges (you get enough money to easily afford to upgrade your car enough), but I’m not sure any of them really would warrant less points, so I’m alright with where they ended up.

Flag Post

Loved Renegade Racing, so nice to see some badges. Would have liked a ‘total time under xx’ badge, but that was probably never going to happen.

Flag Post

Careful guys, don’t break your computers earning this one.

Flag Post

Shadow Snake 3 sucks as a game… and it’s only garnered a 3.6 rating. Why did it get badged?

Flag Post
Originally posted by wattro:

Shadow Snake 3 sucks as a game… and it’s only garnered a 3.6 rating. Why did it get badged?

Unity bias.

Flag Post
Originally posted by wattro:

I can’t play Unity (as I’ve said many times) so I’m just going by what I hear from others. Why do the shittier Unity games get badged and none of the ones that I hear and see are good?

Edit @ below: I was saying that’s what it sounds like. I hear people mention other good Unity games and hardly ever the badged ones being described as good. Also, the visual side of it. I can see the ratings and comments. I’m just echoing what I feel is the vocal majority’s big question.

Flag Post

I honestly have no idea what you’re referring to with “Unity bias.”

The game had previously had a very decent rating (3.9ish) but for some reason it nosedived in the last day or so, but we were already planning on putting the challenge on the game so we went ahead with badges anyway. I personally thought the game was pretty decent and the dev had just recently made some fixes to the UX (added a mute button, made the controls better, etc) which would likely result in the rating bouncing back a little.

Why do the shittier Unity games get badged and none of the ones that I hear and see are good?

Same reason any games get badges or don’t get badges? API is usually a pretty big reason. I’d also be careful just randomly voicing opinions without having played any of the games yourself.

Flag Post

I’m completely lost as to why Shadow Snake 3 got badges so soon.
It’s not a bad game, but it doesn’t stand out to me at all. It came out 2 days ago, it’s rating wasn’t too good, and at only 12k plays, I think that may be a record for least plays to get badges.

Also, the medium badge is poorly designed, IMO. Whereas the hard badge is mostly just grinding to get upgrades, the medium is grinding to get upgrades, and then playing the level on it’s hardest difficulty successfully.

I don’t know, this games badges just feel off to me.

Edit: Dat Raw ninja.

Flag Post

Personally, I think it’s a good game, but this medium badge seems like it might require a little more effort than I initially thought. Still not quite far enough to think about the hard badge.

Flag Post

Yea took a survey on TDP4 and it wont give me my 10 Kreds

Flag Post

If the medium badge was to beat ten levels on hard, I could see it. Ten levels on insane is too much for a medium, especially since it seems to be “earn ten insane medals”.

I could have sworn one of the earlier Shadow Snakes got badges, but looking at them I guess I’m wrong.

Flag Post

The medium was harder than the hard, really. Most of the levels after the first temple aren’t mechanically reasonable on anything higher than Normal, and half the ones that are come down to blind luck with the spawner randomly deciding not to alternate corners or stick something on top of a stationary obstacle.

Hell, there were several times the last boss was unwinnable because it stuck one of the last stones right next to him and there was no way to cleanly pick it up.

Flag Post

Yeah, this medium was definitely on the harder side of things, and the hard was on the easier side, but overall I’d agree that the three badges are worth 50 points. I did the last boss on my first try without much trouble, but to get to ten insane wins took multiple tries, maybe I didn’t do the right levels, I don’t know. I did five on the first world, and five on the second, and that was good enough for me.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pykrete:

The medium was harder than the hard, really. Most of the levels after the first temple aren’t mechanically reasonable on anything higher than Normal, and half the ones that are come down to blind luck with the spawner randomly deciding not to alternate corners or stick something on top of a stationary obstacle.

Hell, there were several times the last boss was unwinnable because it stuck one of the last stones right next to him and there was no way to cleanly pick it up.

And don’t forget that you’re beholden to whether or not the large sun pieces randomly spawn in larger amounts.

edit: This advice on the hard badge tooltip: “Protip: Your upgrades only apply to each specific temple, but your coins are shared. Don’t take upgrades in earlier temples if you don’t need them and save the coins for later temples.” is so massively stupid for a game to include this mechanic.

“Yes, you should make the game artificially harder in the beginning when you don’t know how hard the rest of the game is going to be so you can maybe make the game easier later on, possibly, but you won’t know until you get there, so you don’t know how much you need to make the game harder in the beginning.”

Flag Post

“Congratulations! You just won the Temple Takeover Badge and 30 points!”

I was having a hard time on the 2nd last level as I had 1 speed, 1 armor and 1 luck, spent too much in the beginning. Final boss was too easy compared to the earlier levels.

Edit: For medium badge, I did Temple 1, 2-1, 2-3 and 2-6.

Flag Post

The most hilariously unintentionally stupid part of the game is the fact that there’s no hotkey for the pause button, you have to manually move the mouse button to pause button. So basically you’re giving up on the level to get to the pause button. But there’s a resume button on the pause menu!

Flag Post

Even after earning it, the only good thing I can say about the medium badge is that I’m glad there isn’t an impossible badge for all 28 levels on insane. That might have caused people to break their computers in half.

I got all the temple 1 insanes, 2-1, 2-3, and 3-1. 10 hards would have been a reasonable medium. 5 insanes would have been a challenging medium.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:

The most hilariously unintentionally stupid part of the game is the fact that there’s no hotkey for the pause button, you have to manually move the mouse button to pause button. So basically you’re giving up on the level to get to the pause button. But there’s a resume button on the pause menu!

Escape pauses the game.

I also just nerfed the medium badge from 10 to 5 levels. I wanted to put some requirement in there for insane levels since it’s really a different way to play the game than normal or even hard, but I agree (and the earning distribution definitely agrees) that 10 was too much.

Flag Post
Originally posted by rawismojo:
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:

Escape pauses the game.

I also just nerfed the medium badge from 10 to 5 levels. I wanted to put some requirement in there for insane levels since it’s really a different way to play the game than normal or even hard, but I agree (and the earning distribution definitely agrees) that 10 was too much.

Damn, I didn’t even think to try escape. I was wrong and now I feel bad.

Still, nice adjustment on the medium badge. Too late for me, but finding those last four levels to finish on insane made it really feel like a hard badge.

Flag Post

5 is reasonable for the medium. The Forest Temple ones were irritating but all wholly doable and had a little breathing room with random spawns.

I wound up doing 2-1, 2-6, and 3-4 to get up to 10 insane, and most of it was dumb luck. 3-4 was literally just hiding in the bottom left snapping at whatever it decided to throw my way, then grabbing the invincibility and parking on the spawner.

Flag Post

I usually pick up badges as i go along in a game. So far, the games i played have no badges. Its sad…

Flag Post

Bubble Sky is terribad. ’Nuff said.