Forums Kongregate

New badge discussion page 26

1507 posts

Flag Post

I don’t play games before they’re badged, so that didn’t even cross my mind.

And I didn’t bother reading any of that, because I only could stand to play the game for a few minutes.

Flag Post

If these badges were an attempt to convince me to play on Kong instead of playing Heart of the Swarm, they’ve failed miserably. XD

Flag Post

i’d be happier if this grinn game didn’t disconnect everyone so frequently.

Flag Post

The game simian.interface has one of the crappiest UI I’ve ever seen.
Mouse input is bugged, movement along the vertical axis freezes frequently.
Intros are longer than it takes to rush through a level pack.
And all that flashing can make a person suffering from epilepsy REALLY happy. No joy for me through. :(

upd
Switched to keyboard controls, finished the game, got no badge LOL :D OK, will try it again some other day. reloaded and got a badge awarded.

Flag Post

IMO, simian.interface was awesome. Too bad it didn’t give me the badge. Perhaps it’s due to lack of API?

Flag Post

simian.interface has API, it’s just not public. Maybe it was just lagging for you a bit.

Flag Post

Yeah I had to refresh for it.

As for the others, neither game even loads for me. So, yeah. Classy. Which is a shame, because I heard Grinn was actually decent.

Flag Post

Epic Battle Fantasy 4 got badged. I am shocked, who would have ever thought that it would get badges?

By the way, nice move by the developer to allow players to switch difficulty level during gameplay without penalty. Kind of made it hard to require a certain difficulty for the badges.

Flag Post

So I was talking to a friend about what he hated about EBF, and one of the points was that it had waves, I then suggested that there should be a wave counter, and perhaps random enemies rather than ones placed over the map. Funny enough, (I never played EBF4 to this moment, except very very early beta) apparantly there is a wave counter, saying how many waves are in a battle, so at least it doesn’t seem as meh :P

Flag Post

I’m not trying to be an ass here, but I feel the badges for EBF4 were poorly designed. I got everything except the hard badge in less than 50% of World 1 Area 2 or 3 (I was better informed about the layout of the game after this post). There’s not much incentive to power through the rest of the meaty game, in my opinion. All that just for 30 points? Great game or not, it seemed like a perfect opportunity for 2 hard badges. I’m a bit disappointed with only one hard badge. In a game like this one, I think the game would have benefited greatly from the badges being more spread out. Clumping the easy, challenge, and both mediums in the beginning wasn’t right for this game and didn’t do it justice. There’s a huge hole in the middle and not much of a reward at the end. Maybe that’s just me. Feel free to rant at what I’ve said.

Flag Post

I haven’t gotten that far yet, but I agree that badges should have reasonable stages of progression between them. It’s hard to do in games such as EBF and Mardek, but it would possibly be easier to do with a “more badges, less points” sort of system on those types of games. Using specific medals in this case could be an option, such as x Boss or something along those lines, not to the extent of having every medal a badge ala Newgrounds Style. I think I’m trying to make a point, but I don’t think I’m getting there… :3

For now I’ll enlist the help of this quote as it fits in here and was pretty much what I intended to say:

Flag Post
Originally posted by uzzbuzz:

So I was talking to a friend about what he hated about EBF, and one of the points was that it had waves, I then suggested that there should be a wave counter, and perhaps random enemies rather than ones placed over the map. Funny enough, (I never played EBF4 to this moment, except very very early beta) apparantly there is a wave counter, saying how many waves are in a battle, so at least it doesn’t seem as meh :P

yeah, there are waves, and a wave counter. i don’t like how one wave flows into the next. it forces you to try to end a wave after your first characters turn in a round of combat.

Flag Post

It’s hard to do in games such as EBF and Mardek, but it would possibly be easier to do with a “more badges, less points” sort of system on those types of games.

Well, you can’t really do that with the 4-badge cap.

Flag Post

So Cyclomaniacs Epic unsurprisingly got badges, auto-earned all of the badges, but still decided to go back for the missing stars I had to get. Overall on the easy side of things, I think.

Flag Post

Two “epic games” badged in a row. Cool beans.

Flag Post

Wish there’d been a tougher hard on Cyclo, but there wasn’t really anything hard to use as a requirement.

Flag Post

I think that you got the badges in reverse order on Cyclomaniacs Epic. I have the hard badge but only have 187 stars, (200 needed for medium badge), and I do not have a bell unlocked (1 needed for easy badge).

Also, where is the explanation of what you need to do to get the stars?

Flag Post
Originally posted by jim_vierling:

Each level has 10 stars that you can pick up; touching a star in level gives it to you. Hovering over a level before you select it tells you how many stars out of 10 you’ve gotten for the level.

The actual mechanic for getting stars is fairly obvious to anybody with any amount of video game savvy after you play a single stage.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Thok:

Each level has 10 stars that you can pick up; touching a star in level gives it to you. Hovering over a level before you select it tells you how many stars out of 10 you’ve gotten for the level.

The actual mechanic for getting stars is fairly obvious to anybody with any amount of video game savvy after you play a single stage.

Your explanation includes one of the problems. There is at least one course that requires you to “pick up” things. If as you say, you can pick up the stars then it might make it seem like the stars within the course are just some sort of pick up item for points/boost or something else. A simple little tutorial explanation would be good.

Someone playing a single stage might not be counting the stars that they picked up during that stage and then notice that it matched up with the counter in the bottom left of the screen between stages. Especially if they have no idea what the stars are even in the stages for.

Flag Post

Cool, a couple of my badge suggestions were used! (minus the names)

The hard is a bit on the easy side, but still deserving of the being a hard badge for sure.

Also, unlocking a bell is pretty easy and should take no more than 10-20 minutes. You just have to unlock one of the Stunt stages, and the first one is unlocked pretty early on.

Flag Post

Someone playing a single stage might not be counting the stars that they picked up during that stage and then notice that it matched up with the counter in the bottom left of the screen between stages. Especially if they have no idea what the stars are even in the stages for.

As I said before, anybody who has video game savvy would have noticed the stars (especially since you can’t reobtain a star you’ve already gotten when you replay a stage.) Feel free to continue arguing the point and to continue demonstrating that you don’t have video game savvy.

Flag Post

i probably would have done 1 easy and 2 or 3 mediums. nothing in this game was hard. :)

Flag Post

I’m airing on wattro’s side of the argument – I think an easy and two/three mediums would’ve been better for the game – that ‘hard’ badge wasn’t worth 30 points especially considering that I got it literally five minutes after the medium. :P

Flag Post

It’s a little disappointing that none of the badges for Cloudstone are achieved through the main story. And the ‘hard badge’ is fairly easy.

Flag Post

Okay, did you seriously just put another pvp badge on a freemium MMO? The last one of those is barely off the front page of badges, and we already explained in excruciating detail why that’s a terrible idea.