Forums Kongregate

New badge discussion page 3

1507 posts

Flag Post

I wasn’t even that annoyed with the really long badges for ones like Tyrant. At least it had the benefit of an honest-to-God game under the usual irritating freemium trappings.

The ones that piss me off are crap like Dawn of the Dragons where there is no game — it’s a rudimentary flow of (poorly laid-out!) interface screens, and almost nothing in the game even noticeably attacks you back. It’s just clicking “attack” a handful of times every couple hours. You’re literally playing a microwave timer.

Flag Post

Many can complain about certain genres, certain game series, or even certain developers’ games getting badges, but the truth is the rating is what matters most. racefan nailed it. Replace “MMO” with any genre or series and you have a solution.

I’ve never seen a genre being complained about so much as MMOs are (in relation to badges). In fact, I can’t remember the last time I read a poster complaining a certain genre is being badged “all the time”. MMOs are being complained about, since for non-paying players it is very different.

Flag Post

Since when does kongregate make badges that can actually be bought directly??

Ninja Warz, medium badge, lvl15 reached, there’s a button in-game where you can buy levels for 20 kreds…

That’s just plain stupid. MMO’s already give massive advantages to players who pay, now kong is giving advantages to paying players for badges as well… :(

Flag Post
Originally posted by Tetsuo_Shima:

Ninja Warz, medium badge, lvl15 reached, there’s a button in-game where you can buy levels for 20 kreds…

That’s just plain stupid. MMO’s already give massive advantages to players who pay, now kong is giving advantages to paying players for badges as well… :(

Well, it was suggested not too long ago…

Flag Post

The whole hate for MMOs is largely just whining about energy systems that they don’t like, and “pay-to-win” options being shoved down your throat at every click.(and in the case of some level 65s, a desire to keep their perfect or near-perfect badge % earned with as little effort as possible). Those arguments have no merit, and are just whining. Nobody forces you to earn every badge, and you are being selfish in trying to encourage fewer hard badges in MMOs. Some people want lengthy badges as it gives them something to strive for.

As someone who has at least tried most of the MMOs on this site past the badge point, most of the ones released in the last year or so are decent. Ninja Warz is imo one of the worst, but is the exception, not the rule. When I look back to 2010 and earlier, there were TONS of crap MMOs. I see remnants of skystone, battle dawn, heroes of gaia, fantasy online, ministry of war, dragon’s call. Yeah, MMO’s sucked then. They are much better now.

In the case of Ninja Warz, I will say that if this game had a hard badge that was say..reach level 50, I would have said “no thank you” and just let that be forever a badge I don’t get. However, is that really a bad thing? Nope. You don’t need every badge, and I feel that earning every badge should be made as difficult as possible.

Originally posted by Tetsuo_Shima:

If you truly think 300 Kreds is worth 15 points, then knock yourself out. Nobody is gonna think “oh wow, he bought a badge, I am so jealous”. The overwhelming opinion of that person will be “What a freaking idiot!”. If ridicule and saving 1 hour of your time is worth $30, be my guest :)

Also, it really only takes like an hour or so if you just spam add a bunch of friends and do the mini-games. Not worth spending $30.

Flag Post

Ninja Warz wasn’t that bad. It’s not my favourite MMO all-time, but it was an OK game and the medium wasn’t that bad. What I liked about it was that I didn’t spot any kind of an energy system, what I find a plus in any MMO I’m playing.

Flag Post

There was an energy system: your ninjas needed time to heal for you to effectively use them. But you could pay free currency to heal them, they regenerated fairly fast, and it was overall unobtrusively done.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

I’ve never seen a genre being complained about so much as MMOs are (in relation to badges). In fact, I can’t remember the last time I read a poster complaining a certain genre is being badged “all the time”. MMOs are being complained about, since for non-paying players it is very different.

Very true. MMOs are the Justin Biebers and Jersey Shores of Kongregate, people either love them or hate them, with the latter opinion being more prominent.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bluji:

Ninja Warz wasn’t that bad. It’s not my favourite MMO all-time, but it was an OK game and the medium wasn’t that bad. What I liked about it was that I didn’t spot any kind of an energy system, what I find a plus in any MMO I’m playing.

A lack of energy system does not make a good game. It is one factor out of many.

The whole complaints about energy systems make no sense to me. People act like they are only allowed to play one game at a time and so an energy system prevents them from playing all games, which is obviously not true.

Flag Post
As someone who has at least tried most of the MMOs on this site past the badge point, most of the ones released in the last year or so are decent. Ninja Warz is imo one of the worst, but is the exception, not the rule. When I look back to 2010 and earlier, there were TONS of crap MMOs. I see remnants of skystone, battle dawn, heroes of gaia, fantasy online, ministry of war, dragon’s call. Yeah, MMO’s sucked then. They are much better now.

Bobby, what didn’t you like about RoS and FO?

Flag Post
Originally posted by DarkRainyKnight:

Bobby, what didn’t you like about RoS and FO?

I just don’t like the way Fantasy online looks or plays. If you are going to use a free roaming world, auto-pilot battle system is kinda terrible. Navigation is kinda bad. I find very little motivating you to get stronger since it is so repetitive. Even most single player rpgs on here do it better and have more personality. The game also just looks really really ugly. It’s an eyesore to look at for long amounts of time, in my opinion.

Remnants of Skystone just doesn’t feel like a very fun single player experience. I struggled to tolerate the game long enough to even get the easy badge(still the only one I have). I did play it a bit after the easy badge to give it a fair chance, but I think i gave it a long enough chance. If a game can’t draw me in within the first hour, then I no longer care about it. I know they are multi-player, but the single player has to be compelling enough so that you arent reliant on others.

Of course they are my opinions. I’m sure plenty of people like the two games, but they do nothing for me and are IMO poorly made.

Flag Post
Of course they are my opinions. I’m sure plenty of people like the two games, but they do nothing for me and are IMO poorly made.

Of course! :-)

Which MMOs do you like?

Flag Post

The games I currently play are.

Time World
Realm of the Mad God
Clash of the Dragons
Epic War Saga

Games I have liked in the past but since gotten bored of are Dream World, Backyard Monsters, Call of Gods, Crystal Saga. I think all of these are solid games, but you can’t play something forever. I try to cycle new games in and out periodically to keep it fresh.

Flag Post

Okay. We have almost opposite tastes it seems :-P

Now! Enough of my derailment and back to the new badge discussion ;-D

Flag Post

The whole hate for MMOs is largely just whining about energy systems that they don’t like

Of course, since that’s a “feature” entirely made for the developer, serving only to restrict the player. It either reduces your playing experience or keeps it neutral (when it’s a fairly large energy pool or you play very short amounts per day). There is nothing positive in it for free players, only for paying players.

Nobody forces you to earn every badge

Greg already stated this argument doesn’t hold.

you are being selfish in trying to encourage fewer hard badges in MMOs.

On the contrary, we would be doing a favour to a lot of people.

Some people want lengthy badges as it gives them something to strive for.

Sure, so do it on a singleplayer game. In an MMO, you either hate it before or right after you’ve earned the medium badge and won’t go any further, or you fell in love so much that you don’t care there’s hard badges.

We had enough discussions on MMOs, so I won’t go in-depth, but it’s at least partially on-topic. The badges on Ninja Warz were fine, since they’re only an easy and a medium. That’s how badges on MMOs should be (unless the MMOs are unrestrictive and you’re not capable of being wiped out by a “stronger” player). In contrast, the (hard) badges on Backyard Monsters were clinically insane.

Flag Post

Gemcraft Labyrinth is a perfect example. It’s a single player. It has premium features that enhance gameplay but it’s not required (yes, if you want 100%). It also have a lengthy hard badge.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

Gemcraft Labyrinth is a perfect example. It’s a single player. It has premium features that enhance gameplay but it’s not required (yes, if you want 100%). It also have a lengthy hard badge.

It was the only single-player game I bought the premium on. Best Tower Defense game on the site.

Very suitable badges, arguably could have had 1 impossible.

Flag Post

Ninja Warz has zero gameplay. I mean seriously… what is the gameplay in Ninja Warz? Choose whether you want many ninjas or few ninjas? That’s pretty much it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by bobby71983:
Originally posted by adv0catus:

It was the only single-player game I bought the premium on. Best Tower Defense game on the site.

Very suitable badges, arguably could have had 1 impossible.

I actually sat there and thought about it. It’s nearly impossible to come up with an Impossible that doesn’t require Premium.

Flag Post

Hopefully this can change the MMO/kred game discussion.

NoNoSparks: The Ark

Arkitect Badge ( easy ~ 5 points )
7 Puzzles Completed

How Long Can You Tread Water? Badge ( hard ~ 30 points )
Game Completed

Flag Post
Originally posted by uuu2:

Hopefully this can change the MMO/kred game discussion.

NoNoSparks: The Ark

Arkitect Badge ( easy ~ 5 points )
7 Puzzles Completed

How Long Can You Tread Water? Badge ( hard ~ 30 points )
Game Completed

As bland as the first one. A very very generic type of puzzle that is as old as the setting of this game.

Yawn. 2/5 at best.

Flag Post

and there’s no challenge to nonosparks – you can just guess and check all the puzzles if you can’t figure them out

Flag Post

Nonosparks is one of those games that is better without badges.

Flag Post

New badges on decision 2.

They seem a bit similar to the previous decision badges, except for the money one which is a nice change.

Flag Post
Originally posted by uuu2:

New badges on decision 2.

They seem a bit similar to the previous decision badges, except for the money one which is a nice change.

Kills seemed like the obvious/standard Easy, but greg was using it for the challenge. The only other decent API stat that fit the Easy standard was money saved. $2,500 seems like a nice number for the beginning.