Forums Kongregate

Undercover Moderators **READ**

60 posts

Flag Post

I have had this idea, I have been on here a LONG time, don’t judge by my point status. And I have noticed a lot. As soon as a moderator leaves, a troll or spammer pops up, by the time you call the Mod, he has stopped. “Well there’s nothing I can do Unless I’ve witnessed it.” This has happened to me on numerous occasions, and I bet my bottom dollar a lot more people.
The idea, Moderators, who lurk, act as any regular gamer, but when there is trouble, whisper to the problem maker, and give him a warning, but this, will keep everyone on there toes about what they do. And also it is everyone’s DREAM to become a moderator; My idea is, if This is put forward we will use it like jury duty, like Sally for 2 days, Jim for a week, depending on there behavior, I think this idea can go places and really help Kongregate. That is all I am really worried about.

Leave positive feed back, the more the better chances Jim may put it through.

Sincerely-The_Pale_One

Flag Post

THERE WILL BE NO SHINNY BIG M NEXT TO THE NAME, MAYBE A BADGE SAYINGCOMMUNITY SERVICE

Flag Post

Administrators already can look at chat history to review nominated users so there’s no need creating a special undercover status for moderators. If a person misbehaves frequently, reporting him/her to the administration is a solution (Hover the cursor over the cogwheel icon on the main profile page, select “report abuse”, pick an abuse type and describe the problem).

Flag Post

Undercover moderating is something that Kongregate tries to avoid, it’s part of the reason they moved moderator’s names to the top of the chat list years ago, so people will know that they’re there. There are many reasons for and against the idea of undercover-modding, but I think it’s more beneficial to just have it the way it is right now. If someone’s misbehaving and there’s no mod there, you’re free to report them and call a moderator in if it’s really disrupting the chat.

EDIT: There will always be people disrupting the chat, regardless of the measures taken, and being sneaky about it doesn’t quite gain the trust of the userbase as much as being open about where moderators are and when.

Flag Post

That is my point, we can get rid of the trolls, if we are stealth, just hear me out.

Flag Post

Undercover modding can lead to abuse from the moderator’s and user’s side. A moderator could lie he/she PM’d the user with a warning to justify an abusive silence/ban and a user could deny receiving the warning. In my opinion, if no one’s feeling watched even if they know chat logs can be accessed by admins at any time, no one will feel different about ghost mods.

Flag Post

Well, that is when you will give them a notice It has been reported that you are not following rules and guidelines, if you continue this may result in a ban or silence

Flag Post

If a moderator’s mere presence deters trolling or other disruptions, then job complete.
The only thing we need at that point, is either more moderators, or for them to be more evenly distributed throughout the rooms.

Flag Post

And you can still check the chat.
There is a difference between, a Moderator, and someone who is an Undercover mod “A user from the community” Could be a random person. We will have some kinks to work out, but this WILL work.

Flag Post

It doesn’t need to work, there’s already systems in place to make this unnecessary.

Flag Post
Originally posted by The_Pale_One:

There is a difference between, a Moderator, and someone who is an Undercover mod “A user from the community” Could be a random person. We will have some kinks to work out, but this WILL work.

Well if it’s just users from the community (read: not moderators, since moderators are also users from the community) who want to do something about trolls without having an ‘M’ in chat, they already can, all they have to do is report the user and ask them politely to stop (not warning them, though). A separate system isn’t needed, since reporting users for inappropriate behaviour is actually quite effective.

Flag Post

This could lead to entrapment and people pretending to be mods. It also kinda goes against the core idea of modding, prevention not immediate punishment.

If people would be their own mod and mute and report users it would be a lot better than the suggested method.

Flag Post

@123aaa789 I TOTALY understand, but I will. I do not care for a status symbol, as long as kong is a safer place, its like Bait Car.
But I am sure there are people out there who want to help, not a silly little M. You mus EARN the [M].

Flag Post

@uuu2 that is why there will be a notice; It has been reported that you are not following rules and guidelines, if you continue this may result in a ban or silence

Flag Post

@uuu2 that is why there will be a notice; It has been reported that you are not following rules and guidelines, if you continue this may result in a ban or silence

Again, anyone could send this PM though, and as moderators we are asked to give public warnings so that everyone understands what happened, not just a ban/silence out of the blue nowhere.

Flag Post

See the word Notice? It will EXACTLY SAY Notice:It has been reported that you are not following rules and guidelines, if you continue this may result in a ban or silence. Not From: So and so: I’m gonna silence you!

Flag Post

Oh ok, so it will differ from a PM. Still the other things mentioned still apply.

Flag Post

See the word Notice? It will EXACTLY SAY Notice:It has been reported that you are not following rules and guidelines, if you continue this may result in a ban or silence. Not From: So and so: I’m gonna silence you!

Why would an already functioning system be (further) complicated? “Don’t fix what isn’t broken.”

[Edit: It’s not perfect, but it’s far from broken.]

Flag Post

There’s a phrase in Chinese that in English translates roughly into “Paper Tiger”, and I think it applies very well to the “community service” suggestion. If all these people do is warn them over and over again with no ability to take further (immediate) action, then it’s a paper tiger; they have the appearance of being fierce and powerful, but they actually can’t do much. And honestly, I doubt that a constant stream of warnings is going to stop a determined troll/spambot/flamewar.

The only way this would (conceivably) work is if they were given full mod power. However, because you’re basically asking for regular users to be given full mod powers (albeit temporarily), there’s a huge liability on the admins if someone does do something wrong. In other words, they would have to vet “volunteers” to the same standards as regular mods, which is pointless (why go through the work for a temporary mod when you could do the same amount of work for a full mod?".

Also, it’s been stated again and again, and it’s going to be stated again; mods aren’t cops. We’re not out to punish users for everything they do wrong; we’re there to make sure chat flows smoothly and that everyone feels safe. Lurking undercover would lead to way too many people yelling “entrapment!!!”.

Flag Post

Cllazyman, undercover pizza delivery guy, reporting fo- oh wait.

Flag Post

Fake mods would be more effective, I think. Randomly put made-up Kong-run accounts into rooms.

Similar in effectiveness to a permanently afk mod… but like the other idea, more effort than it’s worth.

Flag Post

I have had this idea, I have been on here a LONG time, don’t judge by my point status. And I have noticed a lot.

So you’re posting on an alt account created on the day you posted this thread? If you want people to take an idea seriously, stand by it. Don’t hide behind a new persona.

As soon as a moderator leaves, a troll or spammer pops up, by the time you call the Mod, he has stopped. “Well there’s nothing I can do Unless I’ve witnessed it.” This has happened to me on numerous occasions, and I bet my bottom dollar a lot more people.

If the disruption has stopped, consider it a win. If the person is persistent enough to continue, the moderator will see it.

The idea, Moderators, who lurk, act as any regular gamer, but when there is trouble, whisper to the problem maker, and give him a warning, but this, will keep everyone on there toes about what they do.

You mean it will make people paranoid that they are being spied on 24/7.

And also it is everyone’s DREAM to become a moderator;

• No, it isn’t.
  • There are much more fulfilling things in life.
  • Moderators often have to endure more abuse than regular players and have their gaming time interrupted by problem calls.

My idea is, if This is put forward we will use it like jury duty, like Sally for 2 days, Jim for a week, depending on there behavior, I think this idea can go places and really help Kongregate. That is all I am really worried about.

This isn’t how jury duty works.

Leave positive feed back, the more the better chances Jim may put it through.

I don’t foresee that happening. This seems like you haven’t thought it through as well as you think you have.

THERE WILL BE NO SHINNY BIG M NEXT TO THE NAME, MAYBE A BADGE SAYINGCOMMUNITY SERVICE

This completely contradicts your claim of it being “undercover.” Are you simply seeking status to show off on your profile?

That is my point, we can get rid of the trolls, if we are stealth, just hear me out.

No, you cannot. There are new people every day. Even if you somehow managed to scare off all the existing trolls, new ones would still come around. Many of them have no fear of authority. The only way to truly deal with them is to accept that they will be omnipresent, ignore/mute them when possible, and report them (an ability we all already have without being appointed “undercover moderators”) when necessary.

Well, that is when you will give them a notice It has been reported that you are not following rules and guidelines, if you continue this may result in a ban or silence

Any user can already do something similar. “You have just been reported to a moderator.” For serious offenses, administrators can check logs retroactively and penalize an account.

You sound a tad presumptuous here as if you know this will happen. People have already pointed out that this is unnecessary and overly complicated for little to no benefit. You know moderators already have alt accounts on Kong, right? There is no need for a whole new system to specifically recruit “undercover moderators.”

@123aaa789 I TOTALY understand, but I will. I do not care for a status symbol, as long as kong is a safer place, its like Bait Car.

This isn’t like Bait Car. That would be more like mentioning the password to a specific kred-loaded account could be reset by going to a certain page and then monitoring that page’s activity.

But I am sure there are people out there who want to help, not a silly little M. You mus EARN the [M].

Kongregate doesn’t give anyone authority without having them earn it. If you haven’t earned M status, they aren’t going to give you secret M abilities.

As has been said by numerous people, this can already be accomplished by any user. “You have been reported.”

Another downside to something like this is an inability to respond to the person sending you the warning. Hello abuse. Not only that, but it looks like blatant dishonesty. If a moderator witnesses behavior that he decides is worthy of a silence or ban, he doesn’t tell the person, “It has been reported…” Besides, if he’s undercover, nobody would know to contact him.

Flag Post

I’m a Moderator and I’m under the covers. Does that make me an undercover Moderator? :o

Flag Post

It makes you a Dutch Oven target.

Flag Post

The real problem is that the punishments for breaking the rules is virtually non-existent.

This would help slightly, but you would have to hike up the punishments to see any real improvement. Longer mutes + less warnings = more people staying in line.