Forums Kongregate

Mechanical Commando Impossible Badge page 5

111 posts

Flag Post

Alright even though I’ve read every page of tips for survival on every forum topic about this I still can’t survive 20 waves! [Best so far: 18] I know to use rockets, go in circles, on mega tank stages take out multiple turrets at once, etc. I have the Golden Commando and everything… Maybe I’m doomed to never get it :P And I’d love to try the lag technique but I can’t lag my computer… I just… can’t.

Flag Post

So… years later, I still consider this one of the harder impossible badges on this site. The majority of the people I’ve talked to about this game who have the impossible badge just keep mentioning lagging their computer… which I refuse to do. So what I’m asking is, anyone else out there still working at this badge? And if you’ve gotten it lately or have been working at it, any tips other than lagging your computer? There’s some mixed suggestions in this thread and some that I can’t really make sense of, so just reaching out and seeing if anyone else has any ideas.

Flag Post

Always use rockets or homing rockets, preferably rockets. Get out of the centre of the screen ASAP, turrets offscreen won’t shoot you. Other than that, it’s just practice and praying for no 4 tank level.

Flag Post

Yeah, that 4 tank level will rip me apart. But to be honest, the double turret does a number on me too, as do all the others. I guess it’s coming down to practice, practice, practice. My best after all these years is only 15 waves =(

Okay, so this is what is confusing me. Let’s say you manage the first 10 stages perfectly. That leaves you with 150 health for the last 10 stages, or basically 3 hits per stage. I’m not sure I can get three hits or less on ANY stage, let alone consistently for 10 stages. What am I missing? I usually try to just circle the arena firing rockets at the turrets on the outside before turning my attention to everything inside the arena. Is this a losing strategy? Should I be going back and forth on just one side?

Flag Post

It’s been a long time since I got this badge, but I did it by mostly circling the outside (and without lagging myself). I recall the levels which filled the perimeter with double strength guns to be a lot more problematic than the 4 tank levels, and I think I frequently had more than 4 tanks on the screen all the time. (That can happen, right? Or do they kinda queue up in memory, and when you destroy one, the next one in line appears? Whichever. I just ignored the tanks, and let them bunch up in the middle.) I think that homing rockets didn’t work for me at all, like, I couldn’t get past about wave 12 with them. The important thing was to not miss shots, so I could destroy at least half the outside guns on each pass.

Flag Post

Hmm, any ideas for specific waves? On the 4 tanks level, I try to draw them in a little bit, then I just circle the outside at full speed, taking out all the turrets before turning on the tanks in the middle. I do pretty similarly on the wave with all the infantry, although I do try to hit the mechs sometimes if they are too close to the edge. For the double turrets, I try to stay on one side of the map and just try to take out turrets as fast as I can for more breathing room. What was initially the easiest wave, the wave with just mechs and turrets, I’m finding more difficult because I can’t really find a clear strategy that works.

Flag Post

I found this to be one of the hardest badges. Easier than zunderfury and about equal to soul driver.

From memory and in no particular order:
This game is about making strategies for the different waves you can get that allow you to focus on aiming while using minimal effort to dodge attacks.

Limit the number of initial states. Finish each wave in the top middle or bottom middle position. Leave one tower as last mob on each wave to do this.

Use rockets.

For the circle of infantry note that the left side is harder to pass through than the right side. Slow step through the right side. Alternative strategy is to slow step up or down and take one or two hits from the infantry.

For circle of tower wave I found slow stepping up or down the middle without triggering the towers on the other side was an easy way to get it down to 2 hits. Finding this was the key to getting the badge for me.

For the mech wave slow step down or up.

For the tank wave I didn’t find any good strategy but clearing the other waves with almost no hits was enough.

Slow stepping is to periodically press one direction key. This will make you dodge most attacks and enable you to focus on aiming.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kragnir:

I found this to be one of the hardest badges. Easier than zunderfury and about equal to soul driver.

From memory and in no particular order:
This game is about making strategies for the different waves you can get that allow you to focus on aiming while using minimal effort to dodge attacks.

Limit the number of initial states. Finish each wave in the top middle or bottom middle position. Leave one tower as last mob on each wave to do this.

Use rockets.

For the circle of infantry note that the left side is harder to pass through than the right side. Slow step through the right side. Alternative strategy is to slow step up or down and take one or two hits from the infantry.

For circle of tower wave I found slow stepping up or down the middle without triggering the towers on the other side was an easy way to get it down to 2 hits. Finding this was the key to getting the badge for me.

For the mech wave slow step down or up.

For the tank wave I didn’t find any good strategy but clearing the other waves with almost no hits was enough.

Slow stepping is to periodically press one direction key. This will make you dodge most attacks and enable you to focus on aiming.

Thanks for all the tips, I’ll definitely try that =) For most levels I’ve just been running full tilt around the outside, never thought to try this

Flag Post

It may be hard, but is it fair? If it’s fair and hard, then it’s a true badge.

It reminds me of the “standard” of difficulty on SEGA and SNES games.

Flag Post

Mmm, I remember the good old days and the difficulty those games had. This badge isn’t… I don’t think it’s fair, by current standards. By my guess, the game originally ran a lot slower when it came out and that explains the original high necessary score of 20 waves survived. As time has passed and computers have gotten faster, that score is much harder to attain. I feel like the two requirements, perfect every level and get fair enough in survival, ought to at least be similarish in difficulty. As it is now, it is MUCH easier to perfect every level. A better amount would have been 10 survival waves for the hard badge and 15 for the impossible were it to be released today.

That being said, I have seen less fair badges. shrug But we all know games that have gotten much easier or much harder with time. For example, Mud and Blood 2 has vastly increased in challenge and difficulty since the original badges came out. The hard badge now takes a lot of strategy, grinding, and luck compared to just a couple of tries with a good strategy. Then you have other games like Dream World that are much easier than when they came out, now that there are guilds with EXP bonuses and such.

Flag Post

You could create lagg to slow things, you do can do that for any game, but that makes it possible, which is wrong.

My game data is lost, and I’m not perfecting every level as it is boring. If the badge was simply for wave survival then I might attempt it.

Don’t ever say that RPG grinding games badges are hard. I’ve never played a hard grinding RPG as you simply grind until it becomes easy. A hard RPG is likely not an RPG at all.