Forums Kongregate

[Tournament] LOUSY SMARCH MADNESS -- Qualifier (locked)

139 posts

Flag Post

Hello, and welcome to LOUSY SMARCH MADNESS, the 29th Kongregate Gaming Tournament! Since the structure of this tournament is a bit different than you may be used to, the explanatory stuff here will run on a little longer than usual.

ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT

Lousy Smarch Madness is the 29th Kongregate gaming tournament. It is structured after and will mirror the NCAA men’s basketball tournament, often referred to as March Madness. Because of this, with the exception of the qualifier and the opening round, you will be facing each other in a series of single elimination, one-on-one competitions. To advance to the next round, you merely need to outscore or beat your opponent.

The qualifier will work as you’re all used to; I have no real cap, as the opening round can accommodate any number of participants. For structural reasons, I will not end the qualifier until I have AT LEAST 68 players. There will be three qualifier games (see below): you only have to play one of them. If you prefer, however, you can play all three, which reduces the score needed in each of them.

The first round (THE REGULAR SEASON) may be more complicated than you’ve seen previously. There will be three games (representing different parts of the regular season). You will be ranked in each game. These three ranks will work together to create your RPI. The top 68 players by RPI will advance to the NCAA tournament!

Once in the NCAA tournament, you will be seeded according to your RPI. Thus, the highest scorers from the Regular Season will play the lowest scorers, working according to an S-shaped bracket. If this is confusing, please ask in this thread! I will do my best to explain. There will be a micro round during which the 68 will be reduced to 64. The 8 players in this round will be the 8 players with RPIs ranked 61-68.

After that you will be seeded according to RPI: #1 will play #64, #2 will play #63 and so on. You will not be reseeded once the round of 64 starts; any “upsets” in your part of the bracket will benefit you.

Half of the remaining field will be eliminated each round through these one-on-one showdowns. 64 will become 32. 32 will become 16. 16 will become 8, then 4, then 2. A final one-on-one, multi-game round will produce our champion!

Since some of you care about your tournament average, or whatever, your overall rank will be your place in the round you are eliminated based on your score that round. For example, if you lose against your opponent in the round of 32, but have the second highest score among the players who lost that round, you will finish the tournament at #18.

REDEMPTION

There is no official redemption round, as it doesn’t fit the tournament structure. However, since no-shows are worse than usual (since that person’s opponent advances automatically), I may allow for the best losing score for the previous round to enter under certain circumstances. This is still up in the air, and your input on the topic would be appreciated!

OVERTIME

Because of the nature of this tournament, ties are especially problematic. Thus, in the event of a tie, overtime will kick in. In overtime, the competitors will have a short period (TBD) to post the best score in the overtime game.

Flag Post

THE #1 KONGREGATE DRAFT PICK

In addition to the main tournament, I will be running a side competition just for fun. It will have no effect on the main tournament at all, and will not affect your scores or your rank. It will be possible for anyone who enters Lousy Smarch Madness to win, whether eliminated in the Regular Season, or the champion of the whole tournament.

As you may know, many college basketball players are eventually picked in the NBA draft. The top draft picks are sometimes also the most successful college players; other times, the top players may be chosen on the basis of potential for future success. So will it be here. Everyone will be eligible for the Draft, no matter when (or if) you are eliminated. That said, the most successful players tend to be drafted higher, so I encourage you to do your best in every game.

I will not reveal the criteria for this side competition until the Sweet 16 (when there are 16 players left in the main tournament). There will be an element of pure chance involved (so don’t get too obsessed with winning), but you will be able to improve your chances according to the presently secret criteria.

The only other note here is that I will disqualify you from this side competition if you are disqualified from the main competition. Unfortunately for you, the team with the #1 pick this year is coming off of a scandal, and has made it clear they plan to pick a gamer of sound character.

If you have any other questions about the #1 Kongregate Draft Pick, please ask in this thread!

RULES

As this tournament mirrors the NCAA basketball tournament, I will be taking on the role of the NCAA and punishing rule-breakers. In real life, we have agents paying players, widespread academic fraud, drinking, drugs, electronics theft, and occasionally murder. On Kongregate, we have hackers and trolls.

My friend, don’t be a jerk. As long as you’re not to Kongregate what Jim Calhoun and Jim Boeheim are to the NCAA, you should be fine.

Here are The Rules:

1. Don’t hack or cheat or edit screenshots. I’m sure you’re all aware of this. However, I dislike hackers more than most tournament hosts (the NCAA hates cheaters), so pay attention:

a. If you have been disqualified for any reason within the last five tournaments, you will be assumed to be under a show-cause penalty, and you’ll have PM me an argument as to why I should allow you to participate.

b. If you hack (or otherwise cheat) during my tournament, and I catch you, you will be assigned last place for the whole tournament, no matter which round you hacked in. In addition, I will ban you from participating in the next tournament I host, assuming I ever host another tournament. In addition, you suck.

c. If you are disqualified for some other reason (e.g. trolling), you will be given last place in the round you are currently in. If your trolling is particularly disruptive and malicious, you will be given last place for the whole tournament, and hopefully the admins bring down the wrath of greg on your head.

2. Please inform me if you find something wrong with a game. If it’s something like lag, overdependence on luck, etc., just let me know. You can PM or whisper me, or post in the thread. If, however, you find an exploit, inform me privately. Similarly, if you suspect that someone is hacking, contact me privately. Do not accuse anyone in the tournament threads. I will investigate thoroughly.

3. You are free to provide videos of your gameplay, but this is not necessary. I am considering using video for the semi-finals and/or finals; once the finalists are determined, I’ll see if they are able to do so. If they can’t, that’s fine.

If a player has been accused of hacking, and there is significant evidence pointing to such, I may require video proof of his or her performance.

4. The spreadsheet for this tournament was designed by JimmyCarlos and Ceasar. Feel free to thank them and generally acknowledge their status as awesome people.

5. Have fun!

Flag Post

At last we come to the QUALIFIER. Feel free to have not read the above. In order to qualify for Lousy Smarch Madness, you will need to post a screenshot with the required qualification score in any one of the following three games: Ekin, A Dralien Day, or Snakes on a Cartesian Plane.

You will need to have the green or yellow plug visible in your screenshot(s).

Ekin

To qualify with Ekin, you will need to score at least 10,000 points. Please post a game-over screenshot with the Today tab visible; an example is below. You can choose to show the entire screen (as I did), or just the game window itself. Either is fine.

A Dralien Day

To qualify with A Dralien Day, you will need to achieve the Good Dragon rank by scoring at least 65,000 points. Please have the Chat window open. Here’s an example screenshot, from the end of the game:

Since A Dralien Day does not have Kongregate API, but instead has an external high scores list, it is recommended that you also post a second screenshot displaying this. This second shot is NOT NECESSARY, but may be required if there’s something wrong with the initial screenshot.

Snakes on a Cartesian Plane

To qualify with Snakes on a Cartesian Plane, you will need to reach a total score of 700 points across all modes. Many of you have likely reached this number already. However, Snakes only updates its scores in the Today tab if you actually improve them. Therefore, if you have already scored 700+ points, you must improve at least one game mode by at least one point. No auto-earning this one, guys!

…Unless you’ve already reached a total score of at least 1400. Because improvements may be more difficult at that point, I will allow you to use the Friends tab.

Please include the total stats screen in your screenshot; the example is below.

Additionally, you may choose to qualify using all three games! In this case, the requirements are reduced. You will need a score of 7,500 points in Ekin, a score of 50,000 points in A Dralien Day, and a score of 400 points in Snakes on a Cartesian Plane. Also, you may use the Friends tab for Snakes even if under 1400 if you qualify using this combined method.

The qualies will end on September 27, 2012, at noon EDT (GMT -4), and then the MADNESS BEGINS.

The spreadsheet is here. Have fun guys.

Flag Post

Wooh, another tournament.

I’m gonna get #1 this time.

Flag Post

Ekin requirement is pretty easy

Flag Post

Good luck, everyone!

Flag Post

This sounds pretty cool.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Amazingly easy…

Flag Post

This sounds interesting.

Flag Post

Hmm, the Ekin requirement is really quite easy.

Flag Post

@blizzard quite easy indeed.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Flag Post

lol only single-leveled player (so far) to try to qualify (I’m so special)
EDIT: jk

Flag Post

(double the posting power!)
Damn have to get 10K more points before beating blizzard.

Flag Post

As of now, the spreadsheet isn’t public.

Flag Post
Originally posted by devourer359:

As of now, the spreadsheet isn’t public.

Sorry about that. Should be public now.

Flag Post

Oh hey, it’s a prec tourney. This should be good :3

Flag Post

Just to clarify: Am I correct in assuming that the qualifier has no effect on the RPI?

As far as “redemption”: Certainly in the case that neither player in a match posts a score, then the best losing score should advance (though there might have to be some re-seeding in order to keep the brackets balanced). I can understand why you might want to handicap players who advance by default because their opponent does not post a score, but I imagine that there will be quite a few games (particularly in early rounds featuring the biggest disparity of opponents) where the lower-ranked player simply won’t post because the higher player will instantly earn a score that the lower player can’t beat.

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

Just to clarify: Am I correct in assuming that the qualifier has no effect on the RPI?

You’re correct; the qualifier has no effect on RPI.

Flag Post

Then I’ll be OK with this score:

Flag Post

Flag Post

I don’t have a score yet, but I do have a recommendation about the tourney structure. If you want to try to keep things a bit more organized in that spreadsheet, you can consider using this bracket website to make things easier to follow.

Flag Post

69 achieved.