Forums Kongregate

[Chat Mafia] Assassin in the Palace

52 posts

Flag Post

Hey! So I heard y’all like mafia, but you tend to play it in forums. I was talking to a few people and mentioned a few variations that would work well (intended for, really) in chat. This got me a’thinking and here I am. I don’t want to post this in the FGF because everyone will rage at it being chat based.

The variation I want to run is called Assassin in the Palace. The variation allows for an open-ended number of players, so sign-ups is unlimited. A few things of note:

1. To not disrupt a regular room and to prevent non-players from trying to get involved or otherwise create problems, I’ll be running it in my private room. I’d like to keep the access to a minimum. I have no problems with observers as long as they don’t talk much and under no circumstances disrupt the flow of the game.

2. I’m flexible with my times, so basically discuss amongst yourselves what time works (dem timezones) and I’ll veto it or make suggestions. :P

3. I’ll be PMing all roles before the game starts. Once the game begins, communication will be through whispers only.

4. I can’t really police everyone, so we’re going to be using the honour system for this. But if I catch you talking to other players when you’re not supposed to, or otherwise cheating… so help you.

5. While there’s no limit to the number of players allowed in the game, the more people involved the longer it’ll take to run the game. Be aware of that when signing up and setting a time.

This game will be run in real time and any absences (temporary or permanent) within the game will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

Let the fun begin! I’ll update this as people sign-up.

1. AdeebNafees (GMT+6)
2. Indy111
3. WiiPlayer113 (GMT-4)
4. high1234 (GMT-4)
5. aturtledoesbite (GMT-5)
6. T6salt
7. Es337
8. SquareOne (GMT-4)
9. Precarious (GMT-4)
10. CowFriend (GMT-7)
11. SilverEvil (GMT-4)
12. devourer359 (GMT-8)
13. uuu2 (GMT-4)
14. RetiredMod (GMT+1)
15. dragonologist23 (GMT-5)
16. Bob10110 (GMT-5)
17. Woon1957 (GMT+8)
18. S_98 (GMT+8)
19. DragonArcherZ (GMT+12)
20. Bluji (GMT+3)
21. TheChaosNinja (GMT+1)
22. Xaqqax2 (GMT+2)

Flag Post

I’m up for it, so long as I’m available. :D

Flag Post

Oooooh, me.

Flag Post

I would like to join in on the fun

Flag Post

/sign

Flag Post

I’m signing my ass up to that.

Flag Post

I think I played a forum version of this once, and I didn’t know how to play so I got booted. Either way, sign me up- I’ll try and find out how it works xD

Flag Post

I will play

Flag Post
Originally posted by Es337:

I think I played a forum version of this once, and I didn’t know how to play so I got booted. Either way, sign me up- I’ll try and find out how it works xD

The link explains the setup. I’ll be running the game based on that article, so it’s in your best interest to familiarize yourself with it.

Flag Post

I’ll sign up, although I’m new to Mafia and my availability may be slightly sporadic.

Flag Post

I’ll sign.

I’m pro at real-time mafia.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CowFriend:

I’ll sign.

I’m pro at real-time mafia.

hahaahahahahahahahahah oh… good one. SIGN

Flag Post

hahaahahahahahahahahah oh… good one. SIGN

Thanks, I worked hard on that one.

But seriously, this is the first time I’ve played a chat-based mafia.

Flag Post

Sign. My timezone is GMT-8.

I don’t want to post this in the FGF because everyone will rage at it being chat based.

Actually, I think the idea has been discussed there before. I don’t see why we would rage; it sounds interesting enough for me to sign. There’s only one problem with this, and that’s the timezones. Perhaps we can have multiple runs to remedy that?

Flag Post

Ok sure I’m in, hopefully I won’t forget.

Flag Post

If you want to make sure that no-one speaks while the game is going on, you, or someone else could make a K+ room.

Flag Post

Sign
+1

Flag Post

you, or someone else could make a K+ room.

That’s what he means by his private room :P.

Flag Post

I’d love to join.

Flag Post
Originally posted by devourer359:

Actually, I think the idea has been discussed there before. I don’t see why we would rage; it sounds interesting enough for me to sign. There’s only one problem with this, and that’s the timezones. Perhaps we can have multiple runs to remedy that?

I’ve never really looked at FGF beyond casually glancing at Mafia-related stuff. I was talking to a few people in chat and they seemed to believe that would be the case. Yeah, I know, timezones.

For this particular variation, the more the merrier, really. Since I made the thread, I was thinking that something around 2PM GMT on Saturday would be the best time. We’ll see how sign-ups are by around Wednesday and go from there. If it can be easily divided by timezone then we can do that.

Everyone, please post your timezone if you could. Please post it relative to GMT if you can.

Flag Post

American EST AKA (GMT -5 i do believe)

Flag Post

GMT – 7 here.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SilverEvil:

American EST AKA (GMT -5 i do believe)

We’re currently in EDT, which a website tells me is -4. We change back to EST in November, at which point we’ll be -5 again.

Flag Post

Heh, I’m in a Mafia club here at college so you know I’d be interested. This seems like an interesting Mafia variant.

My time zone is Central (GMT -6). I’m available pretty much any time that will work for others, though.

Flag Post

I love Mafia, but this variation sounds a bit boring, as it’s totally random and the odds are against the assassin.

I just ran 10,000 tests with 16 players (the current ammount of people who want to play) and it took an average of 8 turns for the guards to win only by killing a random player (except for the king) every turn. Where’s the strategy?