Forums Kongregate

[Tournament] LOUSY SMARCH MADNESS -- Round of 64 (Monomaze) (locked)

103 posts

Flag Post

Well, the Regular Season has come to a close. Now it’s time for the Big Dance. 64 of you will be fighting to—

Oh my…

That’s not good…

Um…

Well, friends, it seems our humble tournament is currently the subject of an alien invasion! And it looks like a number of you perished in calamitous first contact. Sucks for you! But I will eulogize you kindly, as those brave, noble souls who didn’t bother to post a screenshot. Requiescat in pace.

As for the rest of you, it seems this competition has become a struggle for survival! Those evil extraterrestrials, those malicious Martians, those ghastly Grays have locked all the exits with some sort of fantastical alien technology! I don’t know, there’s a bunch of glowing lights and wires, you figure it out.

Incidentally, a number of high scorers from the previous round are not locked in, and may stroll out at their leisure. Surely this is a coincidence.

Flag Post

Welcome to the Round of 64, in which 64 of you should have been battling it out head-to-head for the right to advance. Since we didn’t get 64 entries, the 19 highest scorers from the previous round will be advancing automatically. But that’s okay, a conveniently plotted attack from the skies solves that, we’re moving on. For the rest of you, it’s time to escape this deathtrap by battling through the Monomaze.

In Monomaze, you will have to post two scores. The first score will be from its turn-based mode. The second will be from the timed Blitz mode. Because Blitz mode gives you limited time to make your moves, it will be worth five times the value of the Normal mode score. Your total score, therefore, will be equal to your Normal score + 5*Blitz score. Beat your opponent, and you survive to the next round. Lose and, well, we’ll do a halftime show in your honor or something.

There is no API for Monomaze, so I’ll be a little lax about what tab you have open, but I’d prefer the chat window. Make sure you have your name and the green/yellow plug visible. Example screenshots:

NORMAL MODE of Monomaze

BLITZ MODE of Monomaze

Once again, here’s our unofficial theme song. Here’s the spreadsheet. Round ends October 5 at 6 p.m. EDT (GMT -4). Enjoy!

Flag Post

For those of you who actually read the qualifier OP for some reason, you may be aware that there is a secondary, luck-of-the-draw competition called the #1 Kongregate Draft Pick bundled into this tournament as well. It has no effect on your scores or rank in the real tournament; it’s just for fun. Relax.

That said, you can improve your odds of being the #1 selection! The team with the #1 pick this year unfortunately has a lot of, um, JaVale McGee type gamers, and is looking for someone with a high video game IQ! So, the first 15 players who PM my tournament-specific alt The_NCAA with the answers to some video game trivia will receive an EXTRA ENTRY when I draw names out of a hat.

As you may know, the real life NCAA tournament of 64 teams is split into four regionals of 16 teams, held in four different areas of the United States. You’ve been separated in the same way in my spreadsheet, but your regionals are very much not located in America. Tell me where they are from, and hurry!

For those of you who can’t open the spreadsheet, or are too lazy to, the four regionals are the:

Crateria Regional
Leá Monde Regional
Mallet Island Regional
Ald’ruhn Regional

And with that, let’s begin the Round of 64!

Flag Post

‘Kay, let’s see who I need to beat…

T6salt? Well, this should be an interesting match…

Flag Post

Your move, bjjdude.

Flag Post

Wow, wasn’t expecting a free ride. Can I still post scores anyway? :3

Flag Post

Sure. (I just got 276,510 in Normal. But I’m not gonna bother with a screenshot.)

Flag Post

Am I against Hamuka? Google has fallen out with me again.

Flag Post
Originally posted by T6salt:

Am I against Hamuka? Google has fallen out with me again.

Indeed you are!

Flag Post

Good luck. (I’m not being cocky, I actually wish the best of luck)

Flag Post

I made a prediction bracket because people tend to do that for March Madness

Flag Post
Originally posted by WiiPlayer113:

D’awwwww, I’m predicted for the Sweet 16, thank you. :’3

Flag Post

Thanks for my support.

Flag Post

Flag Post

I’ll try to repay your trust!

Flag Post

No. Shawner’s going to beat you, and then I’ll beat him. The final’s going to be DO2, so everyone else will ragequit, leaving me victorious. Also, I have munkyman at considerably shorter odds than you do.

Flag Post

You know, I almost did have a bracket contest.

Flag Post

no play this round, gonna try the games just for funs :D
glglgl to all

Flag Post
Originally posted by LouWeed:

No. Shawner’s going to beat you, and then I’ll beat him. The final’s going to be DO2, so everyone else will ragequit, leaving me victorious. Also, I have munkyman at considerably shorter odds than you do.

You’re all assuming Wii beats me in the first round.

Which he probably will. But I guess we’ll see.

Flag Post

Flag Post

In the future, can we please have games with high scores?

Flag Post

Oh please. Blizz shall fall to me if he does not somehow lose in this round!

Flag Post

I did better in Blitz mode. Bring it on, mythical scaly reptilian medieval ranged weapon fighter.

Flag Post

Flag Post

First run of both game modes. I will improve.