Forums Kongregate

New Downloadable Game - Bomb Buddies

87 posts

Flag Post

Kongregate is proud to announce its first fully downloadable game for Windows:

Smashmuck Champions

“SmashMuck Champions is an online arena combat game that combines action, skill and strategy. Players build and manage their own SmashMuck teams, customizing and training their fighters and then sending them into battle. Each match features up to ten players in one of four unique Game Types. Combat is fast-paced and easy to learn, with tons of unique skills, weapons and attacks for players to master.”

Here’s a trailer of the game if you want to see what the game is like: http://youtu.be/jJeDz-2XyZY (Are you thinking League of Legends too?)

And now we’re proud to announce our second free downloadable game for your gaming pleasure:

Bomb Buddies

It’s a Bomberman inspired Multiplayer game that tosses you into eight different game modes, seven exciting themes, and over 140 levels. Complete with fully customizable characters, you and your Kong buddies can team up to blast away others in pitch combat.

This game is currently for Windows only, and further system requirements are detailed in the game’s description. Of course, all our downloadable games are free to download and your’s to keep – so check it out if you want and get to EXPLODING!

Game Trailer

WOAH WOAH WOAH WAIT… Kongregate has games you can download?

Well, yes, we’ve always had games available for download, but we are working on making it more official.

But Kongregate is a flash gaming website for BROWSER GAMES!

This is true! But we also can’t deny the fact that there are a lot of awesome games out there that are just too big for a browser. We want to provide users with games they can download, for free, and keep on their computer. We’re a browser based gaming website through and through, but now we’re a hub for downloadable games as well. Who doesn’t like free games for your computer?

I guess that doesn’t sound so bad… Kongregate is still offering browser games though, right?

YES. Downloadable games are just an extra cateogry we are bringing to Kongregate, for anyone who wants to play a game without having to start up Kongregate. It is yours to keep.

Why can’t we just play it in the browser AND be able to download it for offsite playing?

The games we’ll be offering for download will be pretty big. Not only in content, but in size. Smashmuck Champions, for example, is over 500 MB – which I’m pretty sure you guys don’t want to download everytime to play the game. These games will typically feature more in-depth graphics, faster gameplay, and multiplayer interaction that a web browser just couldn’t handle. Less lag for you, and you can pull it up and play whenever on whatever machine it’s downloaded on.

Well all right, where do I sign up? :D

Just click the link above and start downloading! If you don’t like the game, no fret, we’ll be offering more downloadable games as time goes on. If downloadable games aren’t your thing, no worries, you aren’t required to play them and this is just another game category for anyone who wants to download a free game.

Flag Post

So, Kongregate is competing with pogo now? I don’t really understand the point.

Flag Post

Because it’s free, Advo. Freeeee.
Let’s give this game a try.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

So, Kongregate is competing with pogo now? I don’t really understand the point.

Except our games will have machine guns, explosions, and multiplayer action. ;)

Flag Post

Pogo games allow you to connect your account and redeem the tokens that you get from gameplay. I hope you guys figure out a way to badge these games and do the same thing. Although I honestly think that Kongregate shouldn’t be taking on another project because it’ll spread focus even thinner.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

Pogo games allow you to connect your account and redeem the tokens that you get from gameplay. I hope you guys figure out a way to badge these games and do the same thing. Although I honestly think that Kongregate shouldn’t be taking on another project because it’ll spread focus even thinner.

There is a way to link up your Kongregate account. This is still in the early stages, so there’s no telling what perks may come from playing. Right now, we’re just focused on the “gaming” part. I also wouldn’t consider this spreading our focus thinner, but more “broadening our horizons”. This will open up a whole new market for big games we can bring to our users for free.

Flag Post

it’s not a bad game, though not for me but maybe some of you all will like it.

Flag Post

I don’t care even if it was the best game in the world. I am not coming to Kong to download and install games that end up 2GB on my HD. I’ll just go to my 300game steam library then. I hope this doesn’t become a thing. That’s simply not what I am using this site for.

Flag Post

Kong already had downloadable games though?

Flag Post
Originally posted by uuu2:

Kong already had downloadable games though?

Kongregate is proud to announce its first fully downloadable game for Windows

I guess?

Flag Post
Originally posted by dubesor:

I don’t care even if it was the best game in the world. I am not coming to Kong to download and install games that end up 2GB on my HD. I’ll just go to my 300game steam library then. I hope this doesn’t become a thing. That’s simply not what I am using this site for.

The great part is that you are not required to download or even play the game. If you want to play downloadable games, the option is there, but if it’s not your thing, our site hasn’t changed and you can still come here to play browser based games. We just offer downloadable games now, is all. :)

Flag Post

A link should be added here:

Flag Post

But dat’s where the Google a Day link goes! :O

Idea: Put it in place of the Kongregate News. Nobody uses that anyway :-P

Flag Post

Oh yeah, I forgot. But anyways, if you’re going to expand downloadable games, you need to have an obvious a convenient link.

Flag Post

BOOO, BOOO.

DOWN WITH THE DOWNLOADABLE GAMES.

Flag Post

As long as it’s not shovelware spot the difference games, I’m okay with this. Just don’t make it the main focus.

Flag Post
Originally posted by outsidebox:

As long as it’s not shovelware spot the difference games, I’m okay with this. Just don’t make it the main focus.

*shiver* Don’t worry about that.

Flag Post

With games such as ‘Vorp’ and ‘crazy fairies’, it seems redundant to add download-only content. Not that I’m bothered by it though. I’ll just not download it. Haha. :P

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zshadow:

The great part is that you are not required to download or even play the game. If you want to play downloadable games, the option is there, but if it’s not your thing, our site hasn’t changed and you can still come here to play browser based games. We just offer downloadable games now, is all. :)

Yea sure. If you just put them into a category and don’t plaster them all over the site. I am already sick enough of all the MMO’s taking over like 30% of the frontpage (Hot Games, Featured Game etc) I don’t need another category of stuff I simply don’t want blocking my sight. I wanna go on the site and play free flashgames. That’s all. And having to keep filtering through more and more content because of added stuff I am clearly not interested in get’s tedious. If you make it a totally seperate category where people can get to it on demand: FINE!! Nothing against it! If they start taking room on the features lists etc tho… I am not for it.

Flag Post

I don’t mind downloading a game that is fun. I’ll be curious to see the selection of games you will be offering via download.

Is there a chance that downloadable games will get badges? I don’t care – just curious. I can imagine some users would be very much against that idea (namely those who refuse to download games).

Flag Post
Originally posted by yuirick:

With games such as ‘Vorp’ and ‘crazy fairies’, it seems redundant to add download-only content. Not that I’m bothered by it though. I’ll just not download it. Haha. :P

And that’s completely alright, yuirick. xD

Flag Post

The game itslef seems pretty fun, though I’m currently engrossed with League of Legends, and also recently downloaded Age of Empires Online.

This game won’t be going anywhere, will it?
I’d definitely like to try it at some point.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zshadow:

Yea sure. If you just put them into a category and don’t plaster them all over the site. I am already sick enough of all the MMO’s taking over like 30% of the frontpage (Hot Games, Featured Game etc) I don’t need another category of stuff I simply don’t want blocking my sight. I wanna go on the site and play free flashgames. That’s all. And having to keep filtering through more and more content because of added stuff I am clearly not interested in get’s tedious. If you make it a totally seperate category where people can get to it on demand: FINE!! Nothing against it! If they start taking room on the features lists etc tho… I am not for it.

Please, please don’t plaster them over the site. Right now I’m using new games → best rated to find games not the frontpage scroller because it’s ENTIRELY MMOs.

Flag Post

I really don’t mind this at all, I actually support neither side on whether or not downloadable games are good.

Flag Post

This is what selling out gets you. Shitty downloads of mediocre games on our flash site.
Well, good job gamestop, thanks for the steaming pile or horse manure you’re turning Kong into.