Forums Kongregate

Is Kongregate as we know it dead?

28 posts

Flag Post

There are rarely new games entering the top fives. Most of the new games seem to be graphically and technically competent but why do they all have to centre around multiplayer, social or daily tasks? Or be yet another launch game?

Kingdom Rush was probably the best game on K and I couldn’t name you the last one that offered me casual gaming with the kind of sustained interest that only truly original content can offer instead of these fake “repeat identical quest and recruit your friends” type games. There’s nothing wrong with rewriting a classic game, just you know, feel free to improve it a little and don’t make it a bland clone.

I’ve had a lot of fun here but it’s getting increasingly harder to cherry pick the good games I haven’t played yet from the ocean of mostly well-polished turds. Some of the early games with tiny screens and clunky graphics are actually better than most of the latest bloated, socially-connected quasi-games.

Mild rant over.

I don’t know the tone of these forums but expect I’ll be told to do the obvious thing and leave. Which I suppose mostly I’ll do. I might come back for the odd look but I don’t think things will change.

Kongregate and its games have evolved and seems to want to be a social networking site instead of a games site.

Flag Post

No.

Flag Post

It’s true that Kongregate wants to be a social site, but that’s not a bad thing, since I’d rather have that than a generic gaming-only site (it’s one of the reasons I’ve stayed here). I’ve noticed that the quantity of games getting released has also gone down a fair bit recently, so that might have something to do with this slight lack of quality games in your mind (fewer games means a smaller chance of good games, more or less). My opinion would be to stay, because there will always be games that you like to play, and you can always go back to older games that you like if you’re having trouble finding newer games (I regularly go back to play Hexiom Connect or Azul Baronis, two of my favourite games, when I’m bored of some of the newer games).

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

No.

Flag Post

Not so much Kongregate, but the whole Flash gaming industry.

Think the ‘golden age’ has passed. But this is one of those occasions on which I hope I’m proved horribly wrong.

Flag Post

good games take longer to make,usually

Flag Post

It (Both kongregate and the flash gaming industry) has been better, but it’s not dead (yet).

Flag Post

Oh look, it’s this thread again.

Kongregate has nothing to do with the quality of the content. It’s up to developers to make good games, and to be honest, this has been a crappy year for single player games, so multi player games are kinda dominating.

Also, Kingdom Rush is IMO the single most overrated game that has ever been on Kong. It’s a good game, but, it’s no better than half a dozen other TDs.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ToneLeMoan:

There are rarely new games entering the top fives. Most of the new games seem to be graphically and technically competent but why do they all have to centre around multiplayer, social or daily tasks? Or be yet another launch game?

You picked the wrong time to post this. In the top 5 games overall right now, are two games released in the last month (Bloons TD 5 & Infectionator 2). Bloons and INfectionator both do not revolve around multiplayer. http://www.kongregate.com/games

The other three games on the top 5 are all games released in approximately the last year.

Flag Post

I miss 2009-10 Kong.
Mostly the people I knew, but have either grown away from or then leaving Kong. The good ole days back when I was a regular in the Hall of Odin.

Flag Post
Originally posted by The_Atari_Kid:
Originally posted by ToneLeMoan:

You picked the wrong time to post this. In the top 5 games overall right now, are two games released in the last month (Bloons TD 5 & Infectionator 2). Bloons and INfectionator both do not revolve around multiplayer. http://www.kongregate.com/games

The other three games on the top 5 are all games released in approximately the last year.

It’s not that hard to find the Top 5 of 2012 alone, if one wants, just by scrolling down a bit. They’re all on the first page:

Bloons TD 5 (Single player with in-game items)
Infectionator 2 (Single player with an in-game item pack)
Freefall Tournament (Multiplayer, Unity)
Crazy Fairies (Multiplayer, Unity)
Burrito Bison Revenge (Single player)

Flag Post
Originally posted by WiiPlayer113:

I miss 2009-10 Kong.
Mostly the people I knew, but have either grown away from or then leaving Kong. The good ole days back when I was a regular in the Hall of Odin.

Things almost always seem like they were better in the past.

Plenty of times I’ve been on sites for a good chunk of time and everyone slowly just moves on. It’s kinda depressing. It will eventually happen on Kong too, and then whatever site replaces Kong, and on, and on, and on.

Flag Post
Originally posted by WiiPlayer113:

I miss 2009-10 Kong.

I miss 2013 Kong. :( It’s so far away and it’s gonna be the best year yet.

Flag Post

Nope, but I agree Kong has gotten worse throughout the years.

Flag Post

It’s the end of Kongregate as we know it!
And I feel fine.

Flag Post

This exact thread has been posted about a hundred times since 2007, so apparently not.

Flag Post

lol

Flag Post

Games suck nowadays.

None can beat my dear Amorphous+.

Flag Post

MMMMHMMM DEAD

Flag Post

Flash is dying.

Finally.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheChaosNinja:

It’s the end of Kongregate as we know it!
And I feel fine.

This seriously made me chuckle. xD
People need to be happy with what’s in front of them, and in turn the community will be happier.

Flag Post

Also, Kingdom Rush is IMO the single most overrated game that has ever been on Kong. It’s a good game, but, it’s no better than half a dozen other TDs.

Eh, I’d still say that the Doodle ____ games are more overrated. As well as elephant quest, ducklife X, and a few others.

Anyway, I think the real problem is that people have come to expect more from flash games. I remember when this game was amazing, as well as this. My point is that it takes more time, skill, and effort than ever to make a flash game, which all leads to more $$$ that the developer needs to get out of it. So, developers turn to cash-hungry MMOs and squeezing money from addicted players.

Flag Post

Flash games kinda suck lately because all the big flash games tend to come from companies, working on sequels and what not. it’s the same thing that’s happened to console / AAA games.

I also find the good indie games to be the most pleasing… usually because those devs are willing to take a chance and/or doing it out of passion.

If we want good flash games, we need to encourage the indie devs… not the studios.

Bring back focus to the monthly contests… and perhaps either discount sequels or make an indie category

Flag Post

One of the problems is that most indie devs cannot generate enough revenue from releasing new titles all the time. Releasing version 2/3/4/n is an easy way to generate some form of revenue for a relatively low amount of work.

If us devs want to compensate, we need to start pushing out games that might not be of the highest quality, but get the bills paid (sadly, landlords do not prefer awesome games over money). It’s not just the devs, it’s also the community that would need to change. Love a game? Spread the word, donate or just leave some loving words.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sellyme:

This exact thread has been posted about a hundred times since 2007, so apparently not.

This only means that Kongregate itself isn’t dead. Kongregate as we know it has died many times since 2007, and will continue to do so in the future. Of course, as evidenced by Kongregate’s continued popularity, this isn’t a bad thing.