Forums Kongregate

Why does Kong recommend games I've already rated? (locked)

20 posts

Flag Post

I’m sure this has been asked before… it makes no sense. Why are you recommending games to me that I’ve already played?

I’ve already played them… and in most cases I’ve beaten them.

Flag Post

The recommend system is completely useless. Always has been.

Flag Post

Because apparently the Admins are so lazy that adding a line that specifies that if “_have.ratedGame == true” then “_show.anotherGame == true”.

Flag Post
Originally posted by wattro:

I’m sure this has been asked before… it makes no sense. Why are you recommending games to me that I’ve already played?

When you pull up the game and rate it again, does it remove it from the list? Do you know which games this is happening to? It should only be recommending games you have not rated yet, so it’s not a matter of lazy admins. ;)

Flag Post

It’s such a simple bug that could be brute forced out of existence with simple code. It IS a matter of lazy Admins.

Flag Post
Originally posted by WolfgangAzureus:

It’s such a simple bug that could be brute forced out of existence with simple code. It IS a matter of lazy Admins.

The thing is, it is coded correctly, and it works for many people. Rarely does it recommend games that have already been rated, and to help narrow down the actual source of the problem and why it happens for some people and not other people, we’ll need to look at other reasons besides what you’re implying.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zshadow:
Originally posted by wattro:

When you pull up the game and rate it again, does it remove it from the list? Do you know which games this is happening to? It should only be recommending games you have not rated yet, so it’s not a matter of lazy admins. ;)

Apparently I haven’t rated some of these games. :/

It seems odd because I’m pretty thorough aboot rating games…and these are semi-popular ones – Light Bot, Portal – Flash Version, The Space Game, Gateway II, Fantastic Contraption, Electric Box, Continuity, Desktop Tower Defense (!), etc

That said, I am getting a point each for rating these.

Flag Post
Originally posted by WolfgangAzureus:

Because apparently the Admins are so lazy that adding a line that specifies that if “have.ratedGame == true” then “show.anotherGame == true”.

Why is ratedGame a property of _have? Furthermore, = isn’t the same as ==.

Please refrain from talking about stuff that you will never be able to understand.

Flag Post

*Tries to come up with a way to write it that would not invoke the rage of Senekis*

*Can't*

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

*Tries to come up with a way to write it that would not invoke the rage of Senekis*

*Can't*

The problem isn’t about people complaining (I’m not a big fan of the suggestions system), but this particular user saying that it’s because the admins are lazy and pretending to be clever by posting some nonsense pseudocode when it’s clear that he couldn’t code his way out of a paper bag.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

*Can't*

The problem isn’t about people complaining (I’m not a big fan of the suggestions system), but this particular user saying that it’s because the admins are lazy and pretending to be clever by posting some nonsense pseudocode when it’s clear that he couldn’t code his way out of a paper bag.

Oh dear. If I get stuck in a paper bag I have to code my way out? D:

Flag Post

The thing is
www.kongregate.com/recommended-games shows ONLY the games you haven’t rated
But the “recommended games” list to the right of the comments is borked and could show random games

Flag Post

That wasn’t negatively directed at you.
Mainly I was just taking the piss out of myself…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fusha:

The thing is
www.kongregate.com/recommended-games shows ONLY the games you haven’t rated
But the “recommended games” list to the right of the comments is borked and could show random games

Ah, now I get it. The recommendations on the game page are actually ‘people who liked this game also liked these games’. But we couldn’t think of a short way to say that. And it does include games you’ve already rated.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jimgreer:

Ah, now I get it. The recommendations on the game page are actually ‘people who liked this game also liked these games’. But we couldn’t think of a short way to say that. And it does include games you’ve already rated.

How about similar games

Flag Post
Originally posted by bobby71983:

The recommend system is completely useless. Always has been.

agreed

Flag Post

Recommend system doesn’t even work for me, it recommends games that are totally irrelevant to the topics of the other games that I have been playing. Definitely needs to be either removed, or seriously worked on.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Ah, I see. My apologies; it’s clear that you’re an expert, please don’t hack me.

One of the benefits of actually understanding how stuff works is that you can do something about it, instead of complaining and telling the admins how you’re a super genius.

ie, instead of complaining about imbeciles being able to post in the forums, I can simply make them disappear:

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator