Forums Kongregate

stop facebook style games (locked)

42 posts

Flag Post

why are we allowing ourselves to be held hostage ? how many games are only fully playable if you keep paying for them?

want to finish construction ?

pay

want to recruit?

pay

stay out of my wallet return games to fun charge me once then keep your fingers out.

Flag Post

Don’t play them, then. There, problem solved.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

Don’t pay them, then. There, problem solved.

FTFY

Flag Post

Want to play WoW?

Pay for the game.

Want to play Gears of War 3?

Pay for the game.

Want to play Skyrim?

Pay for the game.

Don’t want to pay?

Don’t play.

Flag Post

yes exactly i am not going too. i hope others who re fed up with this style of game will also boycott them. as gamers we have the choice to stop this now.

Flag Post

Give devs a reason to make a single player game with no premium content.

You expect devs to spend months working on games and make almost no money?

Flag Post

hmm funny how these dismissive replies come from people who have so many posts. Are you paid moderators perhaps?

Flag Post

no i expect to pay for a product and use it. not be nickel an dimed for it

Flag Post
Originally posted by deimos75:

no i expect to pay for a product and use it. not be nickel an dimed for it

A virtual product is still a product.

Flag Post

You seem rather entitled, it’s the dev’s games, they can do what they want.

Most premium content on single player games is so minuscule it is mostly to make the game much easier or are just adding more cosmetic type things into it that they can be ignored rather easily. Multiplayer games that require heavy premium content can be ignored entirely.

Flag Post

He has a point, a lot of games are horribly cash-grabby. And they get far too much of the decent space on Kongregate.

But…

Been said a thousand times (a hundred of those times by me), us players who ignore such games are getting a free website subsidised by the few harpooned whales who pour cash into them. Not a bad trade for having to hunt for the sort of games Kong was built on. And some premium stuff (eg Gemcraft Labyrinth) is great value.

Just a pity for the indie devs, as they get less exposure.

Flag Post

If you expect to pay for a product and use it, it should come as absolutely no surprise that when you don’t pay for a product, you don’t get to use it.

Mind = Blown

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by MaistlinRajere:

Want to play WoW?

Pay for the game.

Pay for the game.

Want to play Skyrim?

Pay for the game.

Don’t want to pay?

Don’t play.

The funny part is that those are professionally-made AAA titles with oodles of content and give you full access to it right away instead of obstructing their own mechanics to make you pay more, yet in many cases are cheaper than a handful of minor boosts in facebook-style games.

Flag Post
Originally posted by deimos75:

hmm funny how these dismissive replies come from people who have so many posts. Are you paid moderators perhaps?

Now there’s an idea! :-P

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pykrete:

Want to play WoW?

Pay for the game.

Pay for the game.

Want to play Skyrim?

Pay for the game.

Don’t want to pay?

Don’t play.

The funny part is that those are professionally-made AAA titles with oodles of content and give you full access to it right away instead of obstructing their own mechanics to make you pay more, yet in many cases are cheaper than a handful of minor boosts in facebook-style games.

In the case of those games, you know what you are buying,

For “facebook games” it is right in front of you what is up. You can play for free, but they are gonna have a lot of ways to buy stuff with real money. If you don’t like it then just don’t play, or play and don’t complain about it.

In both instances, you know what you are getting. There are no secret tricks.

Also, unrelated, but most AAA games do not have enough content to justify their price. They overcharge for the game because they know that they can get away with it.

Flag Post

social games don’t bother me I mean Dark Orbit is not really a social game but sure acts like one, you can barely leave the first map!

Flag Post

You pay for console games. Social games let you try it out before you choose to purchase it per say. But they can suck the money out of you.

Flag Post
Originally posted by bobby71983:

most AAA games do not have enough content to justify their price. They overcharge for the game because they know that they can get away with it.

Not really.
Let’s use Left4Dead2 as an example.
Steam is selling the download for $20.
Amazon sells the physical version for $28.

iirc, they used around 60 members of their team to build it, and development took around a year.
The game’s main elements are its multiplayer modes, that implies servers talking to thousands of users all the time.
For PC players, they also developed and released a map/campaign editor.

I don’t know how much sites like Steam or Amazon keep for themselves, but Valve is getting less than $20 for each copy of L4D2. That’s anything but overcharging if you consider that they have to pay 60 professional AAA developers for a year, plus those who keep making new content/patching stuff, and maintaining servers that thousands of players will use for years without paying a single cent.

Now think about what you can do in any of these “social games” with $20 and you’ll see what overpricing means.

That said, the whole “stop facebook, mmos, ptg” thing is getting boring.
Don’t like them? Don’t play them.

There are over 60k games uploaded to Kong. Less than 100 are tagged as MMOs.

Flag Post

Also, unrelated, but most AAA games do not have enough content to justify their price. They overcharge for the game because they know that they can get away with it.

Personally I use a system in which if I buy a game for, say, $60, then I expect to get 60 hours of gameplay out of it. However I can be just as happy if the game gives an extremely well made story and proves to be a lasting memory and a worthy addition to my gaming experiences then I would be happy with the larger price tag.
Facebook games and things like that tend to we playable for 15 minutes then you must wait hours to play it again. And if you spend money in the game, it will most likely be just to speed up things or get more in game money. Stuff like that REALLY gets on my nerves because the purchase will last you a VERY short time and it will tempt you to buy more items with real money, and the process just repeats itself.
The best way for people to avoid games like those are to JUST NOT PLAY THEM!

Flag Post

A while back I bought both entire Portal games for $8. A couple weeks ago Oblivion was on sale for about $10. Xenoblade Chronicles — a relatively new (and very, very long) game, mind — can be found on Amazon for about $45.

Berserk: the Cataclysm, which may only tenuously be called a game, charges $10-$50 worth of kreds for booster boxes. This is pretty typical of cost-benefit ratios for facebook MMOs, if not slightly better than usual because most of them charge for short-term boosts instead of persistent objects.

And see, even other MMOs are more sensible about this. Artix, as much as I despise it for other reasons, will charge you a relatively sane one-time fee to access all premium content. Kingdom of Loathing just gives minor cool stuff for donations. The freemium model isn’t something inherently bad — just the stuff Kong is highlighting on a regular basis over their better games.

And that’s the other thing. As much as people can shout “why are you surprised developers want to make money?” the fact of the matter is that nearly all of the games on this site are free, and most of them are considerably better than the ones that get repeatedly featured. Regardless of the obvious motive for developers to slap together a few UI screens and make a lazy cashgrab MMO, they’re a distinct minority on the site — but the alternatives are getting disproportionately ignored by this site’s main advertising mechanisms in a way that they weren’t a couple years ago.

Flag Post

I am not talking about the discounted games you can get on sale. I am talking about the $30+ games. I would have liked to think that went without saying, but I guess it wasn’t.

Berserk Cataclysm is a bad example. You picked imo the single worst mmo on this site. That is an example of the type of game that I wish Kong would just not host. I don’t even want it on this site, let alone having pay options. However, you are exaggerating when you say that up to $50 is “pretty typical” for MMOs. Very often you can get a nice headstart for $10-$20 in the better games, but after that the value per money drops like a rock.

And that’s the other thing. As much as people can shout “why are you surprised developers want to make money?” the fact of the matter is that nearly all of the games on this site are free, and most of them are considerably better than the ones that get repeatedly featured.

In your opinion they are better. Everyone has an opinion, and they all have the same value. I think most AAA FPS games are overpriced pieces of crap. That doesn’t mean that they actually are. It is merely my subjective opinion.

Flag Post

Well if player would pay for flash games, then devs could make them to be sold up front. If players wouldnt whine about extra content being sold in game, then your money would buy extra content. Players don’t complain so much about buying minor boosts or shortcuts, so that is what gets sold. Player have made games like this, because its becoming the only way of making money out of flash games.

You used to be able to make some money out of in game ads, but portals have stopped allowing games with ads, so it harms the games success.

I used to be able to make money out of having some portal exclusive content, making the game more valuable to the portal. But there was an uproar about that, because players had to go from one free site to another free site to play.

For these games to exist, money has to come from somewhere, and it seems like its getting harder and harder to get it, thanks to entitled players who think they should have everything for free.

Like has been said here, it you don’t like how a game works, then don’t play.

Flag Post

You’re not forced to play any games available at Kongregate, so why complain?

Games developers do sometimes want to earn money from their creations. Give them a break for once, many of them create amazing games and offer amazing prices to their users to purchase the games and are just looking for a tiny bit of extra income.

Flag Post

Want to play WoW?

Pay for the game.

Pay for the game.

Want to play Skyrim?

Pay for the game.

Don’t want to pay?

Don’t play.

I would only buy an multiplayer game. Piratebay exists, youtube helps.NObody would pay for an non-multiplayer game if they all knew how to download from pitarebay.