Forums Kongregate

stop facebook style games page 2 (locked)

42 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by miniminimini:
Originally posted by MaistlinRajere:

Want to play WoW?

Pay for the game.

Want to play Gears of War 3?

Pay for the game.

Want to play Skyrim?

Pay for the game.

Don’t want to pay?

Don’t play.

I would only buy an multiplayer game. Piratebay exists, youtube helps.NObody would pay for an non-multiplayer game if they all knew how to download from pitarebay.

Not everyone is a thief.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pykrete:
Originally posted by bobby71983:

Also, unrelated, but most AAA games do not have enough content to justify their price. They overcharge for the game because they know that they can get away with it.

A while back I bought both entire Portal games for $8. A couple weeks ago Oblivion was on sale for about $10. Xenoblade Chronicles — a relatively new (and very, very long) game, mind — can be found on Amazon for about $45.

Berserk: the Cataclysm, which may only tenuously be called a game, charges $10-$50 worth of kreds for booster boxes. This is pretty typical of cost-benefit ratios for facebook MMOs, if not slightly better than usual because most of them charge for short-term boosts instead of persistent objects.

And see, even other MMOs are more sensible about this. Artix, as much as I despise it for other reasons, will charge you a relatively sane one-time fee to access all premium content. Kingdom of Loathing just gives minor cool stuff for donations. The freemium model isn’t something inherently bad — just the stuff Kong is highlighting on a regular basis over their better games.

And that’s the other thing. As much as people can shout “why are you surprised developers want to make money?” the fact of the matter is that nearly all of the games on this site are free, and most of them are considerably better than the ones that get repeatedly featured. Regardless of the obvious motive for developers to slap together a few UI screens and make a lazy cashgrab MMO, they’re a distinct minority on the site — but the alternatives are getting disproportionately ignored by this site’s main advertising mechanisms in a way that they weren’t a couple years ago.

how in the hell did you get portal one and 2 for 8 dollars o.o

Flag Post

Steam.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DJStatika:

The funny part is that those are professionally-made AAA titles with oodles of content and give you full access to it right away instead of obstructing their own mechanics to make you pay more, yet in many cases are cheaper than a handful of minor boosts in facebook-style games.

Well if player would pay for flash games, then devs could make them to be sold up front. If players wouldnt whine about extra content being sold in game, then your money would buy extra content. Players don’t complain so much about buying minor boosts or shortcuts, so that is what gets sold. Player have made games like this, because its becoming the only way of making money out of flash games.

You used to be able to make some money out of in game ads, but portals have stopped allowing games with ads, so it harms the games success.

I used to be able to make money out of having some portal exclusive content, making the game more valuable to the portal. But there was an uproar about that, because players had to go from one free site to another free site to play.

For these games to exist, money has to come from somewhere, and it seems like its getting harder and harder to get it, thanks to entitled players who think they should have everything for free.

Like has been said here, it you don’t like how a game works, then don’t play.

Just curious. Do you hold the belief that as long as you make a game, you should be paid???

Flag Post
Originally posted by ohnonooh:

The funny part is that those are professionally-made AAA titles with oodles of content and give you full access to it right away instead of obstructing their own mechanics to make you pay more, yet in many cases are cheaper than a handful of minor boosts in facebook-style games.

Well if player would pay for flash games, then devs could make them to be sold up front. If players wouldnt whine about extra content being sold in game, then your money would buy extra content. Players don’t complain so much about buying minor boosts or shortcuts, so that is what gets sold. Player have made games like this, because its becoming the only way of making money out of flash games.

You used to be able to make some money out of in game ads, but portals have stopped allowing games with ads, so it harms the games success.

I used to be able to make money out of having some portal exclusive content, making the game more valuable to the portal. But there was an uproar about that, because players had to go from one free site to another free site to play.

For these games to exist, money has to come from somewhere, and it seems like its getting harder and harder to get it, thanks to entitled players who think they should have everything for free.

Just curious. Do you hold the belief that as long as you make a game, you should be paid???

Well it matters if you want to, i think that if you put in a lot of effort and want money, you SHOULD get payed, however if you don’t work on a game and only upload half assed games, you shouldn’t get anything. kongregate deals with this quite well.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ohnonooh:

Like any work, you should be paid for your efforts if you did a good job. Making a game is work.

The amount will vary, but if you expect people to make games and not get paid, then that is the same as asking for poorly made single player games, because that is all that will be made if people don’t get paid for making games.

Flag Post

With few exceptions, in a professional scenario the people who actually make the game have been paid by their higher-ups while making it, simply because it takes a long time for a large team that has to eat in the meantime. The publisher takes the profits from sales. If the developer itself sees returns from how well it performed, it’s usually in the form of better equipment, staffing, and (if you’re lucky) a slight raise for the next project — but for the most part as long as it isn’t a complete bust there’s little correlation between pay scale and how good the game is because the pay is disconnected from the game’s performance.

Free games like on this site are typically not made in professional schema; they’re works of love by individuals or small groups of hobbyists who are students or have day jobs. Having paid content isn’t really a signal of a better game at all. In practice, quite the opposite — the presence of paid content in these types of games is usually a signal that the developer is placing profit over being fun on a conceptual and developmental level.

In either case, using a “give me money plzzz” cashgrab model has basically no justification as to the quality of the game. If it was, freeware wouldn’t exist.

On top of that, in practice, the pay to win model is rarely implemented in the kind of high production value format you seem to be expecting out of it anyway. The offenders on this site require pretty much no development effort at all. With relatively few exceptions, most of them are basic UI flows and menu screens that I learned how to do in my first week of internship. The only thing most of them have that would have required a good deal of work is the artwork, and a good deal of them steal that.

Flag Post

Getting back to my original point

for you people who have hundreds of posts its clear you work for said companies. I don’t begrudge anyone a reasonable profit. What I resent is the style of game that is increasingly taking over. Yes its taking over cause its profitable. Well I and many others don’t care for it. I am not paying or playing such games. An for all of you to know I regularly buy kreds and make donations to games that I like.

Flag Post
for you people who have hundreds of posts its clear you work for said companies.

Explain, please.

Flag Post

Please explain to me what the point of this thread is.

If you don’t like the style of game, JUST DON’T FLIPPING PLAY IT! Why do you feel the need to bitch about it? I don’t like FPS games, so I don’t play them. Do I make threads in the forums trying to stop them from being made? NO! Because OBVIOUSLY there are people out there who DO like them, otherwise THEY WOULDN’T GET MADE BECAUSE THERE WOULD BE NO DEMAND!

If you don’t want this style of game to be made, what you have to do is eliminate the demand for it, which there is NO WAY IN HELL you are going to do by making this pointless thread. The only reason you made this thread is to bitch and moan about your dislike of these games, and to try to get other people to not play them because you don’t like it. That makes you an arrogant little shit for thinking that just because you don’t like them, other people shouldn’t play them. So go ahead and delete this thread, you puerile little turdmonkey.

Flag Post

Please explain to me what the point of this thread is.

If you don’t like the style of game, JUST DON’T FLIPPING PLAY IT! Why do you feel the need to bitch about it? I don’t like FPS games, so I don’t play them. Do I make threads in the forums trying to stop them from being made? NO! Because OBVIOUSLY there are people out there who DO like them, otherwise THEY WOULDN’T GET MADE BECAUSE THERE WOULD BE NO DEMAND!

If you don’t want this style of game to be made, what you have to do is eliminate the demand for it, which there is NO WAY IN HELL you are going to do by making this pointless thread. The only reason you made this thread is to bitch and moan about your dislike of these games, and to try to get other people to not play them because you don’t like it. That makes you an arrogant little shit for thinking that just because you don’t like them, other people shouldn’t play them. So go ahead and delete this thread, you puerile little turdmonkey.

Best post on Kongregate, hands down.

Originally posted by deimos75:

hmm funny how these dismissive replies come from people who have so many posts. Are you paid moderators perhaps?

facepalm If he would be an admin, there would be a K next to his/her name. If he would be a mod, he’d have either an F, an M, or a C next to his/her name. Do you see one? Nope. Ergo, he’s a normal user, like you. And that means you’re just an arrogant asshole.

no i expect to pay for a product and use it. not be nickel an dimed for it

Er, I don’t understand. Explain, please?

Flag Post

I want all point and click games banished from Kong. I feel like this is a reasonable request.

Flag Post
Originally posted by bobby71983:

I want all point and click games banished from Kong. I feel like this is a reasonable request.

Naw; I like those. Puzzle games make me feel dumb, so get rid of those instead.

Flag Post

Want to play WoW?

Pay for the game.

Pay for the game.

Want to play Skyrim?

Pay for the game.

Don’t want to pay?

Don’t play.

look at this guy paying for games
look at him and laugh

Flag Post

why are we allowing ourselves to be held hostage ? how many games are only fully playable if you keep paying for them?

How can you be held hostage on a site that has over 60,000 games?

Even if 95% of them are utter shit that still leaves you with 3,000 games to choose from. That should hold you over for a year or two.

Flag Post
Originally posted by hamuka:

Best post on Kongregate, hands down.

Thanks. I aim to please.

Originally posted by ZeroMoge:

Want to play WoW?

Pay for the game.

Pay for the game.

Want to play Skyrim?

Pay for the game.

Don’t want to pay?

Don’t play.

look at this guy paying for games
look at him and laugh

I actually don’t play any of those games. I don’t even have an Xbox or PlayStation, or any console.

Flag Post

I’m just joking anyway. I donate Kreds to games I like.