Forums Kongregate

Senekis93 Ego Inflation

16 posts

Flag Post

You know, I have always thought that the flash game industry and entertainment made too many sequels to successful games(, movies, etc.). You want to succeed, just reskin(ewwww!) anything popular and that’s about it.

Monsters University, and eventually Toy Story 4 is inevitable now that there is Partysaurus Rex. Partysaurus Rex 2 is inevitable! I didn’t see the first 92 Senekis’s were the same dull old stuf that people kept buying, but Senekis93 is 5/5 and will definitely be reskinned(ewwww!) as Senekis94 in 3-D!

Your first day on Kongregate. Were you bored? Trying to impress a boy or girl with your 1337 flash gaming skills? How did you decide on your username, and what was the first game you played?

I don’t remember my first day. I started playing Flash games when my old Xbox died, Kong was one of the sites and I played here for a long time before making an account. Now it’s the only site I use for playing Flash games.

I registered because of the badges; I was playing Epic War 3 or something and I got the “you got a badge, register to earn it” thing. And having some sort of obsession with collecting stuff, I went and registered.

About my username, I’ve been using “Senekis” in gaming-related sites for a while, but it was already taken (by some random, inactive guy) by the time I made the account. The 93 is a random number taken from what I was listening to at the time I made the account.

Obviously, you are not Senekis in real life(or maybe you are? O_o). Do you mind if I ask what your alter ego is, and where you live? (i.e. Dom Cobb, I steal your thoughts in dreams, once did inception, and I like to spin my dead wife’s top.).

Actually, I do mind. d:
I like to keep my personal life apart from my virtual activities.
I won’t say my name, but I can tell you I live in Mexico and I’m a psychologist.
A psycholgist? Maybe the 93 wasn’t so random, and it was…INCEPTION.

What are your favorite games? Yes I am that lazy to not click on the hyperlink in the previous sentence to find out. =] Why are they your favorites? Do you like a specific genre of game, does any aspect draw you to a game more than others?

My favorite genre are puzzle games, yet my favorite Flash games are… how do you call them? “artsy”? I like games which make you think; The Company of Myself, Time Kufc, Air Pressure, Don’t Look Back, ImmorTall, etc.

What kind of role do you see for yourself on Kongregate? (are you a big gamer, like to chat, hang out in the forums, all of the above…) What would you consider your biggest accomplishment(s) here, and talk about some of your history on the site.

My history on the site…
During the first months, I used it for nothing but playing games. Then one day I was looking at the forums and saw the programming one, so I went and asked something about making a browser game (Ogame, Cybernations) because I’ve always wanted to make one.

Some months later I was taking a look at the new games section and found a lot of really simple games, then thought “Hell, it seems like you don’t need skills at all to make a game”, so I went and started looking for game making tutorials and a couple of days later I started using the programming forum and the GDR often, and I still do up to this day. (And it turned out that in fact, you don’t need skills at all to make a game).

My role there has changed from being the newbie wanting to learn how stuff works to someone who helps newbies understand how stuff works, although I’m still far from being an expert in the subject, but I do what I can. I like people who want to learn.

I also tend to read other forums, but I rarely take an active part in forums other than the programming one. Sometimes I make one or two posts in the Kongregate forum and I have seasons where I lurk OT and other forums constantly, but never post there.

About my biggest accomplishment, I guess it was Badge Master which is funny since it was just one of my personal tools and I wasn’t sure about sharing it.

Do you socialize much on Kongregate? How do you like the chat rooms and forums? Any friends on here you want to give a shout-out?

I socialize at the GDR (Game Development Room). About Kong chats, I’m usually in Wrath, Lantea or Chaos Theory, but I almost never chat there, although I read what others say.

Shouts… let’s see… the regulars of the programming forum, ItsBarbie, everyone who helped with Badge Masterand Fvrahgments, which is one of my best friends irl.

Flag Post

You get a wish upon a star, what would it be?

Don’t forget about the community. Listen to the suggestions.
Also, that game was born in a contest in the programming forum, it’d be nice if Kong started hosting similar competitions in an official way.

In Rbots by A10_com, you navigate the robot heads back to their bodies, so the robots can dance again. What game on Kongregate comes to mind for a story you enjoyed, or a story you would like to see on a Kongregate game?

The Fixation-The Company of Myself games. I fucking loved them.

Jetfart Zombie by KotobukiMedia is now on Kongregate. Does this raise the level for fart jokes, zombie games, or both?

Err… what? >_>

Flag Post

Have you played any of the top monthly games? Any opinions on these games or those you feel are left off the list?

As you can see, most of them are a sequel to successful games. It’s a good example of how the Flash games industry works; you want to succeed? Just reskin any popular game and that’s about it.

Wait. I said that in the introduction, or did I?…

I’d like to see more initiative (both from developers and sponsors) to bring the Flash games world back to life, to invite to creation, instead of a dull circle where developers just keep making the same old stuff and sponsors keep buying it. Of course, the players have a lot to do with this, since most seem to keep giving high ratings to mere clones of games that have existed for well over a decade.

Design a badge for games on Kongregate, or for yourself in real life(you can do a somersault, balance a ball on your nose, eat hot chili peppers, etc.)

I’m not the athletic kind. A badge for myself irl would be something like “idle for five minutes”, or “watch three seasons of X serie in one day”.

Which game on Kongregate has your favorite music, or what music do you listen to while gaming on Kong?

I usually mute games and have my music player in shuffle mode. I enjoy many musical genres and the playlist I load depends on my mood.

Do you have anything you do for good luck, or habits while gaming? I seriously regret having a cookie dough ice cream cone as my totem for good luck, because it melted.

I usually have some drinks while I’m at the computer (not necessarily gaming), and I also tend to have music most of the time.

My sources tell me that Leonardo Dicaprio likes to play Doeo on Kongregate(source: I have no idea at this point, but it is in my head.). What other celebrity or person from your own life would you not be surprised plays games on Kongregate?

Hmm… Takeshi Kitano? xD

Flag Post

You mentioned how Badge Master was something you were not sure about sharing. Have some of your other games had interesting stories before they were uploaded?

The first four games were the ones I did while I was still learning the basics. Then besides a couple of random “games” (like Badge Master, the Random Game thing and the Bot Battle), all of my uploads are games made for contests (mainly for the GiTD contest hosted at the programming forum). The only exception is the Blind Witness game, which I finished only because someone collaborated with the graphics, and I felt it wouldn’t be nice to drop the project after he already put effort into drawing the faces.

I have a problem when making games; I can’t finish them. I haven’t uploaded a single game that I care about. I’ve started dozens of projects which I love, yet I never complete them.

Part of the issue is that many of those games were born from a feeling or a mood, but you know, it’s not like you can say “Ok, I’ll stay sad/happy/excited/whatever until I finish this game, then I can go back to ‘normal’ mode”, so in a lot of cases, the game loses its… how do you call it? “Raison d’être”… that mixed with having to design an user interface and polish stuff turns it into something unpleasant and it’s easy for me to simply drop it and start working on something else.

So yeah, most of my uploads were done in less than a week and sadly, there’s nothing poetic behind them; the games which have meant something to me were never finished (and I feel they’ll stay that way). These are meaningless things made for contests, just to pass the time. I don’t mean I didn’t enjoy making them, I actually had a lot of fun with each of them, but the histories behind them aren’t particularly interesting.

You have 15 games uploaded on Kongregate. You mentioned the first four games as a period when you were learning the basics. Have you noticed a change in your approach to developing games, and in what way? Has your approach to programming changed since you made those first four games?

Yeah, totally. At the beginning I didn’t have a clue of what I was doing.
I started by following some tutorials and trying to make sense of the code I found there, and had to be googling “how to do X in flash” every two minutes.

Now, while I’m far from being as good as some of the users of the programming forum, I think I’m pretty good with AS3 (one of the languages used to make Flash applications); I code way faster and I’m usually able to get the desired result without much effort.

You’ve talked about your involvement within the Kongregate community, contributing to the programming forums and developing games. Have you done any programming outside of that? Would you consider it?

Yeah, besides the games and that stuff, programming has also helped me to make my virtual life way easier; I’ve been able to make a bunch of scripts to modify the sites which I visit the most. I’ve also made some applications which save me some time while doing stuff that I regularly need while using the computer, and the most important thing is that I enjoy it a lot. Programming is a very relaxing activity to me and so far I’m quite happy with it.

That said, I suck with most programming languages other than AS3, mostly because over 95% of my programming experience has to do with Flash, so whenever I need to make an application in a different language, I waste a lot of time googling the right syntax or that method to do what I have in mind. It takes me more time and effort, but it’s still something I enjoy.

Flag Post

Flash games are really entertaining. Do you like to watch movies, tv shows, music, or other forms of entertainment? Do you see them as the same forms of entertainment, or do you need to be in the right mood for one form of entertainment or another?

Yeah, I enjoy those things and yes, there’s a time for each.

I usually watch movies and some tv shows with my girlfriend. We also tend to play with the Xbox, mostly Left 4 Dead 2. tank music

Music is very important to me; I usually have some music while I’m at the computer, I don’t know if it’s just my idea, but I feel like I get better results at whatever I’m doing if there’s some music in the background.
Also, I can’t go out without my music player. I get pretty irascible when I’m out (especially in a crowded place) and the battery runs out, the earphones break or something.

I also enjoy reading books, magazines or internet articles, but yes, in my case, it’s all about being in the right mood for something.

Favorite stuff:

Movie: Fallen Angels (Wong Kar-Wai).
Anime: Ghost In The Shell (Particularly the 2nd season of the SAC series).
Food: Pizza
Drink: Whiskey
Book: Les Chants de Maldoror
Video game: Starcraft (The first one)
RPG: Paranoia
Song: Therion’s cover of “Fly to the Rainbow” makes me happy for some unknown reason. It’s odd, since I rarely listen to that band and I’m not really into metal. Actually, I dislike that genre.

Thanks for the interview. It was fun. ♥

Flag Post

Thanks for the interview Senekis93, it was fun!

-_-

Senekis93 said:

-_-

Flag Post
Originally posted by JesseMH8:
Thanks for the interview Senekis, it was fun!
Senekis93 said:
Senekis93 said:
Senekis93 said:
Senekis93 said:
Senekis93 said:

No, really. Thank you for doing all these interviews and putting so much effort adding links and pics while fighting against Kong formatting. (:

Flag Post

Awesome.

Flag Post

sweet!

Flag Post

Interesting to read about programming.
Formatting is haaaaaaaaarrrddddddd.
I had to look up a few words. Thanks Senekis :-P

Flag Post

You have put effort here. Good interview!! ♥♥

Flag Post

interview me too pls.

Flag Post

There’s a master thread, post in that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

There’s a master thread, post in that.

This.

Awesome interview!

Flag Post

Great interview! I’m a huge fan of Badge Master.

Flag Post

Love your writing style. Great interview. Inception/5