Forums Kongregate

[New] Room mods

187 posts

Flag Post

Hey all—

Some of you may have noticed that it’s been a long, long time— roughly six months— since we chose any new chat mods. That’s because we’ve been working updating how modding works on Kongregate.

We have historically had global mods— if someone is a chat mod, they can mod any room on the site, regardless of language or familiarity with the game or the people in the room. This worked fine when we had five rooms, but now that we’re up to (roughly) five hundred rooms there are a lot of genuinely different communities that spring up. Beyond that, it’s obviously impossible to know everyone— and we’ve known for a long time that modding works best when people know each other.

The other problem we were running into was burnout. D: Mods were starting out fresh and full of energy, and then discovering that it’s really draining to always be on duty.

So, what we’ve done is this: from this day forward, every person we mod will be a mod in some rooms, but not every room. They’ll start out with one, and then gradually take on more rooms if they want. (Not everyone is a traveler by nature, and we’re certainly not going to force them to take on other rooms if they aren’t interested.)

When they are in one of the rooms they mod, they’ll have mod tools and the orange M next to their name in chat! When they’re in other rooms, they will just be regular users (except that if you check their profile you’ll see a list of which rooms they are modded in).

Because of the enormity of this transition, and because it will be quite a while before we have enough mods for all the rooms, the existing mods are going to stay global mods.

As a practical matter, most of you will notice little/no change in your Kongregate life. Over time, you’ll probably notice a steady increase in the number of mods. We’re going to be training the first batch of room mods over the next couple days, so you might see some Ms popping up where they never used to be— and I hope you’ll join me in congratulating them.

Flag Post

New effective moderator modding system is a win. :D

Flag Post

Awesome :)

Flag Post

I like it! Both the update and the picture at the end.

EDIT: I also like how adv0 got modded. :D

Flag Post

Great idea!

Flag Post

The title is not nearly what it could have been

Flag Post

Very anti-climactic. 1/5 D:

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gevock:

The title is not nearly what it could have been

Originally posted by adv0catus:

Very anti-climactic. 1/5 D:

Trolololol.

Flag Post

I dislike pumpkins but this game definitely needs badges.

Flag Post

Riddleschool isn’t an admin yet? What an extremely disappointing post.

Flag Post

1/5 needz moar mawds

Welcome new modlings!

Flag Post

When is modfriends list going to be updated?

Flag Post

This sounds interesting, I’m looking forward to seeing how it works out.

How will modcalling work, though?
If a moderator does not have their powers in a room they’re called to, are they still authorised to dictate what is and what isn’t allowed in that particular room?
I’ve often seen moderators disrupting the chat even worse than some trolls due to trying to enforce rules from their own rooms in others.

Flag Post

We can’t do mod calls, which is why global mods are still necessary.

[Edit: To elaborate, when we’re in a “non-M” room, we’re regular users. So no, we can’t dictate what’s going on in those rooms. It’s intended this way, so we can get breaks too.]

Originally posted by Maik50:

As far as I know, we’re not being added.

Flag Post

I like the idea, and congrats to the new mods!

Flag Post

Considering that many people use Modfriend for modcalls, probably never again.

Flag Post

Whee!

Flag Post

how does one get made a mod

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

As far as I know, we’re not being added.

This is correct. Modfriend has now become an outdated method of contacting a mod since the new mods will not always be able to help you in your room. You can use it to contact the older moderators, but the new moderators will not be added to that profile.

Flag Post

So in a system where it’s difficult to find a foreign mod to begin with, they’re being made powerless altogether?

So unless one of the 3 or so mods who have permission in a room are online, there is no way to get any moderation in a room?

If something is against the guidelines, people shouldn’t be able to use personal relationships to say, ‘Oh, you wouldn’t understand, you don’t visit here and don’t understand us’.

Just my 2 cents.

Flag Post
Originally posted by sanepsycho37:

how does one get made a mod

Here and here. A user is chosen by the community managers by the help of nominations. To clarify, moderators may nominate someone as a suggestion to administration. After some time gathering feedback and looking at the way a user behaves, the administrators decide whether or not they contact the user to ask him/her if he/she wants to be a moderator.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmnisMoriar:

So in a system where it’s difficult to find a foreign mod to begin with, they’re being made powerless altogether?

So unless one of the 3 or so mods who have permission in a room are online, there is no way to get any moderation in a room?

If something is against the guidelines, people shouldn’t be able to use personal relationships to say, ‘Oh, you wouldn’t understand, you don’t visit here and don’t understand us’.

Just my 2 cents.

Non-English rooms have always been a consideration for Kongregate. They have not forgotten their existence. The system is not perfect, but there are methods in place to get more moderators from those rooms.

Moderator opinions aren’t the only ones that matter. If you have a candidate (that isn’t yourself), send the name of the person and your reason why they should be modded to any community admin.

Flag Post

Finally, they’re nerfing the mods. They’ve been overpowered for a few years now.

Flag Post
Originally posted by EndlessSporadic:
Originally posted by OmnisMoriar:

Just my 2 cents.

Non-English rooms have always been a consideration for Kongregate. They have not forgotten their existence. The system is not perfect, but there are methods in place to get more moderators from those rooms.

I actually wasn’t referring to mods from different countries, rather, mods from different rooms. However, it’s actually a better point than my intended one.

A decent way of keeping rooms modded without modding every single regular in a room seems difficult, however, with the lack of inter-room powers.

Flag Post

tricky COME HOME TO DYSTOPIA!!!