Forums Kongregate

[Tournament] The Road Not Taken (Round 3) page 4 (locked)

151 posts

Flag Post

Heyheyhey! Being mysterious is my thing! :( Back in your cage DD!

Flag Post
Originally posted by MaistlinRajere:

It’s not me. I wouldn’t enter under two names; that would be cheating.

Oh my gawd, I didn’t mean to imply anything. I looked at the Road Not Taken list and didn’t see you there.

Nono, that’s NEXT round I won’t be there. Common mistake.

Anyway, here’s my pathetic attempt to stay in:

http://i.imgur.com/KmqJz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xoyRj.jpg

EDIT: Slightly better score

Flag Post

Playing this game without the ability to use the Z/X/C keys is tough.

Flag Post

Midnight right now. Tomorrow – Good score will be posted. Believe me.

Flag Post

The number of fairies you find influences your score by a very sizable margin.

Flag Post

Improved for safety.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Well, it passes someone anyway.

Flag Post

I alluded to this briefly in spreadsheet chat a couple of days ago, but the more I play this game, the more I realized how much it depends on luck. I just had a 88k score on a 249-floor run where I saw a total of 0 relics and 2 fairies on the entire run. I’ve talked to a few other people who have much shorter runs, yet routinely see multiple relics and as many as 6 fairies per run.

So yeah, I’m mostly likely going to be eliminated because of that.

Not that I can do anything about it for this round—but just a heads up for future tournament hosts.

Flag Post

Who gets multiple relics per run? I jelly.

Flag Post

Dustin, I’m coming for ya!

Flag Post

Flag Post

Not much more here than getting restarting until you get fairies.

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

I alluded to this briefly in spreadsheet chat a couple of days ago, but the more I play this game, the more I realized how much it depends on luck. I just had a 88k score on a 249-floor run where I saw a total of 0 relics and 2 fairies on the entire run. I’ve talked to a few other people who have much shorter runs, yet routinely see multiple relics and as many as 6 fairies per run.

Not that I can do anything about it for this round—but just a heads up for future tournament hosts.

I don’t see how it’s more luck based than any other game that you’d play in a tournament.

I’ve played it a few times and it’s no worse than Canabalt or Pel.

Flag Post

Or Nuclear Outrun.

Flag Post

Complain long enough and you get the result you want.

@Josh: I’m not complaining because it’s luck-based (if anything, I’m in favor of luck-based games); I’m complaining because score is a poor indicator of skill in the game. Number of floors survived would be a much better statistic for this round.

Flag Post

Yes! Make it floors survived! Do it! Yesss!

Flag Post

Got really lucky with fairies, made a really dumb mistake to lose them so this could have easily been 500k+. Also yes to the floors survived, that’s much more skill based imo.

Flag Post

Nice score.^^

Flag Post

Finally figured out a decent strategy

Flag Post

Flag Post

I have heard your calls for a change in the recorded score in House of Dead Ninjas and I have considered the arguments for it, and I agree. The picture below highlights the details, but it boils down to the fact that the skill in the game lies in surviving to the highest number of floors possible.

As you can see, despite shawner having scored almost 200k more points than green, green actually progressed through more floors than shawner. This is the prime example of why the switch is being made, but there are others that one can see just by looking. I also made sure to see if there was any correlation between score and kills, but the correlation was weak at best. The people marked in bright green are those who voiced their support for this in the thread. One can see that they did not support this change out of their own benefit.

With this change, dustin stays on top, and no one is bumped into the redzone, although it does rather drastically change things.

It’s a good thing we had the extension. Score will now be based on floor reached.

Flag Post

Darn, and I was all excited about posting my 231K score too. :P

Here is a lower score, but better floor count. (previous one was 301 floors)

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

I alluded to this briefly in spreadsheet chat a couple of days ago, but the more I play this game, the more I realized how much it depends on luck. I just had a 888k score on a 2949-metre run where I got a revolver for my secondary weapon and 2 ammo pickups on the entire run. I’ve talked to a few other people who have much shorter runs, yet routinely get the mini gun for secondary and as many as 6 pickups per run.

Originally posted by ShawnerSSS:

Got really lucky with ammo pickups, made a really dumb mistake to lose them so this could have easily been 5M+. Also yes to the distance survived, that’s much more skill based imo.

Originally posted by hiperson134:

I have heard your calls for a change in the recorded score in Nuclear Outrun and I have considered the arguments for it, and I agree. The picture below highlights the details, but it boils down to the fact that the skill in the game lies in surviving to the furthest distance possible.

Actually, the point where the analogy breaks down is relating distance travelled to floors traversed; I don’t think there’s any more skill involved in getting a good distance than there is in getting a good score.

Flag Post

Photobucket