Forums Kongregate

Compensation

7 posts

Flag Post

Hey there, due to the server shut down yesterday I wasn’t able to logg in the 4th day in a row. That’s a pity, because my char would have gained a purple-weapon-gift after 7 days logg-in in succession…. Will there be a compensation for that loss?

Flag Post

It was the Kongregate’s servers which unexpectedly and all of suddenly went haywire. I can feel your anxiety that you lost your in-game rewards but it’s not concerns of Kongregate to compensate. It’s up to developer(s) of a game to give compensation for players who used Kongregate as a portal.

However, because server shutdown wasn’t developers fault nor directly affected developers servers, the chances are slim you’ll receive any kind of compensation, particularly when taking into account that this server shutdown was limited to Kongregate only and not other portals as well

Flag Post

…. :( but thx anyway for the reply

Flag Post

The issue wasn’t Kongregate’s fault either, it’s worth noting. The provider for Kongregate was the one that experienced the technical “glitch” and everything else was a result of that.

Flag Post

And that completely justifies kong going down, because there was absolutely nothing that they could have done to mitigate the problem, because things like redundancy don’t exist. It’s just such a shame that there are games that punish you for not logging in every day, to compensate for their lack of gameplay in other areas.

Flag Post

Here’s the fix.

Flag Post

First, Kong’s servers were not shut down. They were running the entire time. It was a DNS problem, which prevented people from finding the IP address to the servers.

Second, the DNS provider didn’t experience an outage, they erroneously deleted Kongregate’s entries (and others, too lazy to look up the reference). Redundancy couldn’t really help there because to most computers, this doesn’t look like a “DNS outage”.

Third, even after fixing it the nature of DNS propagation means that not every part of the world will observe the fix at the same time. This is because DNS isn’t maintained in a single central location that every computer on the planet connects to; rather, it is distributed throughout DNS servers around the world, and these DNS servers replicate changes to each other.