Forums Kongregate

Changes to the Collabs section page 10

257 posts

Flag Post

Goodbye collabs! Was great to have a place to upload my tracks, to have them noticed and helpful feedback given.. It’s really sad to see them go.. I’m still not sure why exactly they aren’t being left as an archive or upgraded to compete with newgrounds.. atleast they were enjoyed for as long as they existed.. It still kinda bugs me that all the wonderful work created by users will just vanish.. I really enjoyed some of the tracks.. and a fair few aren’t available for download..

Flag Post

kongregate is trying to not be like newgrounds is the point they focus on both while we only focus on gaming sadly

Flag Post

Kongregate is still a great place; much better than Newgrounds IMO.

Flag Post
Originally posted by I_love_you_lots:

indeed, now newgrounds has/will have a 1-up on us though..

Flag Post
Originally posted by himhim2340:

I dunno, Newgrounds music section was so clustered it almost doesn’t count.

Flag Post

The reason there isn’t many people using it because…
1. Not everyone can make, upload, or even want to do shit with the collabs.
2. Not everyone notices it
3. Still, not everyone wants to do shit

If it was kept up, we would be telling more and more people to use it, and it will grow overtime.
Too late now >:o

Flag Post
Originally posted by artizt:

This is my first forum post… I’ve been on Kong for quite a while now, using different accounts….

Somewhere earlier in this thread someone said that those sections were a place to congregate interdisciplinarily. I fully agree with this and just stumbled across this thread when I was just about to upload some of my music. The concept of a ‘real’ social gaming/flash site won’t work… People in my university started digging kong because of all the stuff it had to offer apart from games. Badges are cool, so is chatting and all this socializing stuff, but coming from a time when NG was in its baby shoes, I can say that a lot of people will say goodbye to this site once you put out all those nifty little extra features. Aside from being a complete flash game addict, the ability to upload my creative output is what kept me on NG, although that site also got a lot worse… I like the concept of kong, the looks and feels… But, and I can not stress this enough, it’s called KONGREGATE, so let us congregate and share our works, find new collaborators, have new input, create awesome projects with awesome people… Don’t make this site a shitty miniclip copy… There’s too many of them already…

In love
A pissed of user

This is perfect. Thank you for posting this!

Flag Post
Originally posted by himhim2340:

Not really, haha. I’ve been to Newgrounds, and it’s nothing like Kongregate.
At least not when it comes to what I’m looking for.
Someone who wants to find animations and music for their game would have better luck on NG.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Man, I remember checking the art section for new artwork everyday. This was one of my favorite parts of kongregate

Flag Post

I was under the impression it was going to be removed at the end of January. Clearly it’s still there, so when exactly is it going to be deleted?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Maxiboy2000:

Man, I remember checking the art section for new artwork everyday. This was one of my favorite parts of kongregate

That was me, only for the sounds section.

Flag Post
Originally posted by artizt:

This is my first forum post… I’ve been on Kong for quite a while now, using different accounts….

Somewhere earlier in this thread someone said that those sections were a place to congregate interdisciplinarily. I fully agree with this and just stumbled across this thread when I was just about to upload some of my music. The concept of a ‘real’ social gaming/flash site won’t work… People in my university started digging kong because of all the stuff it had to offer apart from games. Badges are cool, so is chatting and all this socializing stuff, but coming from a time when NG was in its baby shoes, I can say that a lot of people will say goodbye to this site once you put out all those nifty little extra features. Aside from being a complete flash game addict, the ability to upload my creative output is what kept me on NG, although that site also got a lot worse… I like the concept of kong, the looks and feels… But, and I can not stress this enough, it’s called KONGREGATE, so let us congregate and share our works, find new collaborators, have new input, create awesome projects with awesome people… Don’t make this site a shitty miniclip copy… There’s too many of them already…

In love
A pissed of user

Its good to see that Im not the only one who decided to bring this up. This Place is named after the word Congregate, yet here they are removing one of the easiest ways to do so. Sure some of the art may be bad as many stated, but that doesnt mean we need to get rid of it so hastily. The collabs section is like a bar in a sense. A place were people come to talk with one another and have fun, sure there will be those bad customers, but that doesn’t mean you must shut down the bar for everyone else.

Flag Post

This is very disappointing now that I am getting serious with MIDI sounds. And I am also not a great artist so now we are being told that we have to outsource something that we might like to keep exclusive to kongregate for.

Why not just revamp and take out the the problems of the Collab section and bring it up to pace with the rest of kongs updates instead of removing the option altogether?

Solution:

1. add an “A” to users who are artists and let them feature their work on their own pages much like we do with games.
2. add a “S” for sound developers and let them feature their work on their pages for collaboration proposals.

(or some sort of special discretion so that they can be discerned from regular users by hopeful collaborators.)

It seems so easy to get a “D” badge these days then the next thing, following that logic of removing collabs, is to remove developer options and then it just would not be kong anymore. The above solution could not only repair the issues with the collabs like spam and/or crediting authors,artists, musicians, but it would be an awesome konglike fix for the problem and also help developers collaborate with artists and sound engineers. Just not make it so easy to upload and possibly higher some volunteers or even payed staff to do moderation and approve images and sounds as they get uploaded. I would even pay a few bucks to have my sounds featured on my page if that is an issue.

Flag Post

Thats a pretty nifty idea there.. I’m quite glad the collabs haven’t vanished yet. Glad people still want them around too..

Flag Post

Looks like the Art & Sounds section is officially gone.

Flag Post

NO!

PUT IT BACK

I DONT WANT ANYTHING ELSE REMOVED

Flag Post

Honestly, I loved the sound collabs. I used kongregate to upload and be a go to site for all my music. And plus, who didn’t like looking at that animation when your sound got loud and it wiggled. anyway, This is a huge disappointing factor. I had all my music on here from different computers that are lost. All of my music is now gone and can never be found. I know that I am just one person, but I bet there were others that lost some, if not all, of their work like I lost mine…
If it wasn’t excellent, then why not ask us about it and change it instead of removing it completely. It was a really cool addition to the Kongregate experience imo.

Flag Post
Originally posted by fobia:

I had all my music on here from different computers that are lost. All of my music is now gone and can never be found.

You were told over two months ahead of time that they were coming down, and apparently were given the option to re-download anything that you had uploaded to the collabs, so there’s no reason it should have been lost.

Originally posted by fobia:

If it wasn’t excellent, then why not ask us about it and change it instead of removing it completely. It was a really cool addition to the Kongregate experience imo.

What could they ask? If people weren’t using it, then saying “hey, the collabs aren’t being widely used and we’re thinking of removing them” would obviously cause a few more people to use them, but after about a month they’d just go back down to the same activity level they were at before. They also weren’t being used for the reasons they were added (to collaborate between game developers and artists, I don’t think I ever saw that happen myself), so that partially contributed to the removal. In my mind, if people wanted to use them, they shouldn’t have waited until it was too late.

Flag Post

sigh, they no longer exist. I doubt they’ll be returning any time soon..

Flag Post

Everything’s deleted now.Well,thats terrible

Flag Post
Originally posted by mauz12:

Everything’s deleted now.Well,thats terrible

We’ve definitely learned to cope though.

Flag Post

I miss them I still cry some sleepless nights…

Flag Post

Damn. I finally got my parents to enable the site again on our firewall and I came back here all excited for the music because I’d lost most of my Kong music during the hiatus. To me, the collabs was always half the site. More than half of my music came from Kong. Well, time to go back to Newgrounds, I guess.