Forums Kongregate

Cache and cookie removal

12 posts

Flag Post

I couldn’t find a FAQ section but it would be nice to no which options not to chose when running Ccleaner or other tidying up software. at the moment my machine is holding onto to a chunk of firefox cache and i’m keeping all history and cookies. what do i need to keep to enable saved games?

Thanks

G

Flag Post

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/7-technical-support/topics/241772-read-before-posting-technical-support-f-a-q

Don’t delete cookies.

Flag Post

Thanks. Just to confirm though…. I’m ok to clear cache?

Flag Post

Yup.

Flag Post

Don’t remove the delicious cookies!

Flag Post

clearing cache/cookies is the worstr that can happen.
Why do websites even support such barbaric actions?

Flag Post

Clearing cache is fine. Cookies is what the save files are.

Alex, it’s how Flash works, it has nothing to do with the sites.

Flag Post

The cache is a place where webpages, images, and other web content you’ve viewed in the past get stored on your computer. That way when you go back to one of these things, it can be loaded super-quickly. It also reduces strain on websites. Clearing this should never affect how anything works majorly other than perhaps making some webpages load slower.

Cookies are little bits of data that are stored on your computer. When you visit a website that created the cookie, your computer sends it to the website so the website knows what kinds of settings you set previously, that you are logged in, something to identify you so you can be tracked, etc. Flash cookies are slightly different, in that they can only be created by flash files. However, their function is more or less the same. When you clear the cookies on your web browser, it deletes the regular ones and the Flash ones, which will delete all your game progress. the tricky thing is that regular cookies vary across browsers – so if you clear firefox’s cookies, chrome’s cookies will still be left in place. However, this might not hold true for Flash cookies, so if you clear cookies on any browser, it may delete your game progress from every game across every browser.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:
so if you clear cookies on any browser, it may delete your game progress from every game across every browser.

Been there, done that. :/ It’s really not worth it.

Flag Post

Thanks very much everyone. I will leave my cookies to the side and clear out my cache

Flag Post

doesn’t really affect mmos though, I clear cookies all the time every few months because it doesn’t bother me.

Flag Post

encountered a website where clearing both cache and cookies was REQUIRED so the game would actually LOAD on slower machines like mine.
Sent them and angry e-mail , signed a petition for a less graphics-intensive version and showed the middle finger to their company logo.