Forums Kongregate

About the Kongregate Wiki

29 posts

Flag Post

I recently found out that Kongregate actually has a wiki of its own!
However, I noticed that only chatroom articles are updated even remotely frequently, and from that “List of Badged Games” I can see there’s not even an article for most of badged games!!
Why is that so? With so many awesome players… how come nobody cares for it? Wouldn’t it be awesome if we had great pages for all games? For example, a page for SCGMD4 with info about the game, tips for the badges, info about what are the Achievements and all row prizes, secrets of the game, etc.
It’s far better than any other failed attempt of creating an “ultimate kong website” because this one can be edited by THOUSANDS of people and will last forever! The awesome thing about Wikis is that they never really die forever like “Kong blogs”, since Wikis are iconic and everybody always check them out.
I’m tempted to start editing some articles… maybe we can build a strong community on that Wiki, so that even if someone doesn’t want to edit anymore, there will still be plenty of people to keep editing and welcome people who feel like helping out!

This is one of the best articles I found. It shows the final boss, some secrets, tips… I wish there was one like that for every game!
What do you guys think?
EDIT: There are even achievements on the Wiki! Just like Kong :P

My request: Just edit the Wiki with something awesome you got to know, or, e.g., if you’re a Papa’s Hot Doggeria enthusiast and 100%d the game, add a picture of all ingredients unlocked and such! You don’t need to embark on a gigantic quest of editing. =)

Flag Post

Yeah. I’ve talked to mattmeister (one of the Administrators for the wiki) in early September about working on it. With school and other things it’s fallen on the back burner (at least for me). I have forgotten and I have a few ideas on how to liven things up.

Flag Post

We don’t have to make perfect articles for every single game, we just have to at least put an article (even if mediocre) for most of the games, if not all. Then when somebody feels like it they can add something to the Wiki! Like if someone had all achievements for a really hard game they could go and add a picture of it to the article of the game, or add some tips, or just improve on it… =)

Flag Post

I’ve honestly stopped participating in that wiki a long time ago.
I won’t even allow my room to have one because of past decisions they’ve made.
Just being honest, but that’s only one V’s opinion. If you like the wiki, go ahead and contribute!

Flag Post

You’re right that the benefit of a wiki is that anyone can edit it, but that is also the problem of a wiki—anyone can edit it. Without an effective administration team to manage spam and vandalism, a wiki simply cannot survive. No one has had the time or desire to consistently fulfill the required administrative duties, so that is why the wiki hasn’t taken off. No one wants to edit the wiki because they know that what they have done can be abused so easily.

Flag Post

It’s not really hard to “undo” troll edits! I’ve never really seen a wiki get destroyed by vandalism, simply because it’s such an easy job to mantain it. Hopefully people will get as excited as I am and start helping out! :)

Flag Post

I think wiki’s are great, but for a site like Kong, I’m more hesitant. Kongregate has a multitude of games and a multitude more being added every week. If strategies and help are in place, they are usually in the top comments or even the recent comments. (Or in the forums for a larger game) As for finding a new badged game, games like Badge Master easily fulfill that. I frankly don’t see the need.

This is similar to why the “Ultimate Kong Database” type blogs and sites die. There is simply little need. I won’t participate in this wiki-editing process, but that’s just me.

Flag Post

Well the thing is that we’ll only focus on badged games. For example, let’s suppose I’m playing SCMGD4 and I want to know what the last row prize is – I could just load up the Wiki and find out. It would be the place where ALL knowledge of the badged games would gather, from all over the world. I have looked all over the Internet (erm, Google and YT) and still haven’t found it. Why? Because the hardcore gamers that managed to unlock it do not have the time manage a Kong blog, but they would have time to simply upload it to the Wiki. =)

Flag Post

yea i edit the wiki a lot. i wish more people would do the same.

Flag Post

Let’s edit the Wiki together, Rolby!! I intend to create at least a rubbish article for every badged game. This means I’ll make the infobox and a sketch of the layout, since it’s the most boring part. This will get the ball rolling and other people (and myself) will feel more encouraged to edit and improve those articles – creating them is the real hassle!! :P
(Sent this to Rolby as a shout, also)

Flag Post
Originally posted by HolyLasagna:
Because the hardcore gamers that managed to unlock it do not have the time manage a Kong blog, but they would have time to simply upload it to the Wiki. =)

You’re implying that they want to. I would argue that the vast majority of people who are skilled enough to discover that information on their own would want to keep it a secret, and make everyone else discover it on their own.

Contrary to popular belief, more information is not always a good thing.

Flag Post

I doubt it. I have seen countless videos of people showing off their skills and accomplishment in games, even in Flash games. The thing is: There is no one place to do this, and no one place that gathers all information about this that is related to Kong. The purpose of the Wiki is to gather everything the community knows about the badged games. Be it secrets, easter-eggs, full achievement lists, trivia, tips, everything. The Wikia will not fail like other blogs have done because it is iconic and unique. It has been there for what, 5 years, and people still edit it and visit it, even though nobody actively takes care of it. That’s the awesome difference that gives me the energy to edit it.

And as such, I have made my first full quasi-perfect article. It’s only missing a complete achievements page with all of them unlocked and better wording. Also, trivia. What do you guys think? =)
I edited a lot of other articles, but some of them I just made as stubs to get the ball rolling or improved on already-existing articles.

Flag Post

Good luck, guys! I hope you can stick with it.

Flag Post

I have already created 11 articles and improved another bunch. The Badged Games List is complete (albeit 1/3 of it is not in alphabetical order) and this is getting pretty good! If anyone wants to help improve already existing articles with your knowledge about games, I’d be happy!
Leave the boring task of creating articles and infoboxes for me, just enjoy improving articles! :D

Flag Post

I was working on the Badged Games list, by the way.

Flag Post

banned already i hope this fails (which it will ;)

Flag Post

The funny thing is that the Wikia can’t fail. It already withstood the test of time – even though it’s been inactive for years, people still come back and edit it. That’s the beauty of it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:
Because the hardcore gamers that managed to unlock it do not have the time manage a Kong blog, but they would have time to simply upload it to the Wiki. =)

You’re implying that they want to. I would argue that the vast majority of people who are skilled enough to discover that information on their own would want to keep it a secret, and make everyone else discover it on their own.

Contrary to popular belief, more information is not always a good thing.

I agree with this. I know I’ve completed a great many games with my own self-made strategies, not looking at guides or wanting to put up guides. There are of course, people on YouTube who flaunt their wins, but how many people actually watch those? Where would the discovery of finding it out yourself be if there was a wiki with everything?

Again, I like wiki’s for a great many things, especially long-term gaming, but most of the games on this site are too short for anyone to want to put some Wiki efforts in. As for the longer games, they have their own forums and wikis on the developer’s site, so I really don’t see the point.

Flag Post

What you just said can apply to much pretty any Wiki except Wikipedia. Why have a Final Fantasy/Naruto/Mardek Wiki? Is it not more enjoyable (hint: this is subjective) to discover everything yourself? So either there is something fundamentally wrong with all Wiki and the thoughts of everybody who edits Wikis, or something is wrong with your arguments. I’d bet on the latter. :)
Wikis are there to gather all human-knowledge of a specific subject in one place. It’s not just “tips and secrets”. Somebody who is playing “Dog Eat Dog” wouldn’t normally know about the Underdog Week (or whatever it was called). Someone who is playing Papa’s Wingeria would love to see an image of all ingredients unlocked, since he won’t have the patience to do so (a little reward for too much work). Someone who enjoyed YHTBTR now can enjoy the full ending song endlessly over at the Wiki.
For me, it doesn’t really matter if that many people will visit it. I find it important to have a database for knowledge – and it’s fun, too! I used to edit the Chrono Trigger Wikia regardless of whether it got many hits or not – and I had a lot of friends there editing with me. I’m sure a lot of you would enjoy editing and improving such a great thing, and I need help. So that’ why I’m here.

Flag Post

Also, the etymology of badge names is something very interesting that should be gathered.

Flag Post

Is it not more enjoyable (hint: this is subjective)

Hint? How is that a hint? What are you hinting?

Flag Post

It is a subtle indication of why one of his premises is wrong. It was also meant to be slightly humorous, like a “protip” – it’s so obvious everybody should know this, however his argument ignored this.

Flag Post

Also, the etymology of badge names is something very interesting that should be gathered.

I’d be interested in reading about this.

Good luck Lasagna! I hope it catches on and becomes popular. Enjoy and have fun! :-)

Flag Post

Thanks DarkRainyKnight! There was an interview with greg about badge names back in 2007, but I can’t find it anymore. Maybe it was at COCAK or the old arcaneCoder (I think?) website.
Another example of why this Wiki would be very useful for some people:
I didn’t know Dino Run had a multiplayer feature, until I read this on the Wiki: “A multiplayer version is available at pixeljam.com/dinorun or xgenstudios.com/play/dinorun.” – it’s not very well formatted because I haven’t editted it yet. But see, this is the kind of awesome information I’m also talking about!

Flag Post

I’m not going to do it (as I am REALLY bad at doing that kind of stuff) but I wish you luck, and hope the Kongregate Wiki will be better soon!