Forums Kongregate

Level 65 now possible through only badge points!

44 posts

Flag Post

With the addition of Snail Bob 3’s badges, you can now get a total of 36,585 points from badges, 25 more than the 36,560 needed for 65!
Just thought I’d point this out!

Flag Post

Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to raise the level cap. Hopefully to 69 100 or so. At least 75.

Flag Post

Does that include removed badges?

It’s worth pointing out that images up to 999 have been made. At least, one for 999 has.

Flag Post

Does that include removed badges?

Heh, didn’t think about that. Yes though. That takes away 105 points if you count Caesary, Battalion Arena and Zening. That equals out to 36,480.

Flag Post

It’s up to 999, not just 999. :P

Flag Post

*cough*

Flag Post

The question is…
Does that include badges you cannot earn under normal circumstances (Sola Rola)?

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

cough

Isn’t that really difficult to calculate? You’d have to sort all (and that already large number is hopefully going to continue to rise exponentially) users by the number of points either every time someone rated a game or got a badge which would result in an impressive but unintended fireworks display, or at some chosen time(s) every day so people’s levels are only calculated then.

Flag Post

Yeah. It’d be a tough transition, for sure. I acknowledge that in my post. As for the calculations of points, referrals and ratings should probably be “fixed” (they should, anyways) and it’d make sense to calculate everyone’s level (everyone as in all users that have earned at least 1 point that day) at midnight.

[Edit: Your same argument (exponential growth) is a really good reason to change the current system.]

Flag Post

Newgrounds does, or at least used to, use a system like the one adv0catus is advising.

Flag Post

Whoo! Realistically, not many people have or can even achieve all the badges (myself included), but that’s still pretty cool.

Flag Post

69 or 75 would be a nice increase if there were to be one.

Flag Post

And I still have no impossible badges, destroying my chance.

Flag Post

I’ve almost achieved my life goal of reaching the level cap. Please don’t take that away from me

Flag Post

I actually thought this was already possible through badges. Oh well, I’ve still got a long way to go till I need to worry.

Flag Post

I echo ivod’s comment – I’m at Level 63 now and would be very frustrated if the cap was increased before I hit 65. If it does end up happening, a few weeks notice would be really appreciated!

Flag Post

No more rating. That is a great improvement with adding more badges. Lol :D

Flag Post

I can see why people might be annoyed if the cap were raised, since you’re nearly at it and then it’s raised, but if that argument is used, then that’d mean it would never get raised, since there would always be people near it, and I feel that at some point is has to be raised. The accomplishment of reaching level 65 will still stand, just that it won’t be a stopping point anymore (unless, as I suggested quite some time ago, some kind of “prestige” system is put into place, where you can get set back down to level 1 but your levels will appear as a different colour, sort of like you’re on your next run through).

The cap has been raised twice before, and both times it seemed like the right decision. Kongregate’s growing, so while getting to 65 a few years ago was basically an end point, now it seems more like an intermediate step that’s much more accessible to the majority of people. It’s a touchy subject, since it’s either going to increase to where the majority of people already at it will instantly reach it (or be right near it already), or it’ll be even more unobtainable to most people. As a point of comparison, the entirety of the top 25 is more than doubled the cap right now, so either they’d all reach the new cap already (so then there’s the discussion about increasing the leader boards, which should probably happen), or if they don’t, it’ll be set to such a high level that most people will not reach it.

Or we could just keep going as we always have and lust leave this as the cap, it’d definitely be the easiest option.

EDIT @below: I suppose that would work, but then again it might just disappoint a bunch of others who do push but who don’t make it. It all comes down to what the new cap is, really, since if it’s 70 it’s an extra ~10,000 points, if it’s 80 it’d essentially be double the current cap.

EDIT2 @3below: Yeah, that’s what I was picturing it would be like. It seems like it would be fair, and not overly complicate things, and it can expand as far as necessary. Even if colours would be too confusing, maybe a star or some kind of icon beside the levelbug to show that you’ve gone past the point before.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 123aaa789:

I can see why people might be annoyed if the cap were raised, since you’re nearly at it and then it’s raised, but if that argument is used, then that’d mean it would never get raised, since there would always be people near it, and I feel that at some point is has to be raised.

The simplest solution would be to announce in advance the date when the level cap would be raised. That would give anyone close to 65 the opportunity to make a final push.

Flag Post

Thats a lot of points for me to go.

Flag Post
…unless, as I suggested quite some time ago, some kind of “prestige” system is put into place, where you can get set back down to level 1 but your levels will appear as a different colour, sort of like you’re on your next run through…

I’m not sure if I did indeed say how much I like this option, as opposed to the many, many other interesting suggestions, but if not then here I go~

I like this idea the most.

Adding on, it would seem to be easy to add more run-throughs as they were needed to this system, too. At first you could have 5 set backs and run-throughs, which once you make the system for the initial set back and run-through, then any more you add should almost be like copying and pasting code. (I’m guessing.) A simple color code would be needed to be designed for what number run-through you are on, but that could be decided via popular vote. It shouldn’t be too hard to memorize the color codes, as well. I’m sure a simple graph could be made up.

This system could be infinite. Once someone, like Jayisgames most likely, hits the cap, then a simple tweak to add another colored run-through would add another tier as a challenge for him without affecting any other person at all. Also, this system wouldn’t break the current system because it’s just adding on. This wouldn’t cause anyone’s level to decrease either.

With this set-up everyone would have new levels to shoot for, even the top 25 leaderboard people. It doesn’t seem that it would be overly complicated to understand nor difficult and time consuming to code together.

Example:

First (current) run: Dark red
Second run: (Dark) yellow
Third run: (Dark) green
Fourth run: (Dark) blue
Fifth run: (Dark) purple
Etc.

Flag Post

I see the colour system as finite as well. I mean, realistically, how many colours are going to be used? Not that it matters much, but Jayisgames is over 12x the current cap, so he’d need at least 13 colours to be over the cap.

The way I see it, you’re basically trading one cap for another.

Flag Post

I see the colour system as finite as well. I mean, realistically, how many colours are going to be used? Not that it matters much, but Jayisgames is over 12x the current cap, so he’d need at least 13 colours to be over the cap.

The way I see it, you’re basically trading one cap for another.

I added in an edit to my post, you could just add a star or something beside the levelbug to show that you’ve passed the cap that many times, it’d be clearer than colours anyways. Besides, the system you proposed would be essentially the same; just trading one cap for another, except every day. That’s why I think the best solution would still be to just increase the cap, or not touch it at all, messing with the logistics isn’t the best idea at this point.

Flag Post

The entire system needs an overhaul. It’s well known that ratings is a massively flawed system and referrals are broken.

Flag Post

The entire system needs an overhaul. It’s well known that ratings is a massively flawed system and referrals are broken.

While ratings have been a point of discussion, the current system for them is still a lot better than it used to be, since it used to be 5 points per rating, then it was changed to 1, and it used to be unlimited ratings before getting changed to 50 per day. There was a time it was 30 ratings per day, but it was found to be too small of an amount, so I really can’t see there being a change to ratings (see this thread and especially this post as to why things happened as they did [note: it was the script-raters who pushed the change], and maybe even this thread).

As for referrals, I don’t see much of an issue, clearly someone has to have done something good to get any real amount of referral points. Personally, I haven’t gotten a huge amount of referral points, and that’s because I really haven’t put much effort into it, but people who put the time and effort into doing something that can get new people to sign up deserve some sort of reward.

The whole system doesn’t need an overhaul really, it’s just the fact that there are many more points available nowadays than there used to be. There have always been many more points available from rating games than from badges, so I don’t see what could have changed in that regard, and at least it’s not happening where people can get thousands of points from script-rating anymore.

I’ve had this discussion many times before, and I don’t feel that this is really the place to be having it anyways, so I’ll just leave it with my final opinion: the way things are going has been perfectly fine, there’s no real reason to overhaul it or change anything major. The way potential points are distributed (between ratings, badges, promotions [badge of the day and others], and so on) has been fairly consistent throughout the duration of the site, I’m not sure why it would make sense to change anything in that regard now.