Forums Kongregate

Level 65 now possible through only badge points! page 2

44 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

I see the colour system as finite as well. I mean, realistically, how many colours are going to be used? Not that it matters much, but Jayisgames is over 12x the current cap, so he’d need at least 13 colours to be over the cap.

The way I see it, you’re basically trading one cap for another.

The color system would work if we just put Jay at the cap. I seriously don’t think we should invest a ton of time making room for him to be able to level up more. His points are ridiculous and trying to devise a system based around him is absurd. The example I laid out would be more than enough for almost everyone except Jay.

Edit: Also, I think those first 5 colors would last a long time. Not many people are going to suddenly reach level 325.

Flag Post

Edit: Also, I think those first 5 colors would last a long time. Not many people are going to suddenly reach level 325.

That is a big difference, though, from what adv0’s interpretation was—jayisgames is 12x above the level cap, as adv0 mentioned, but he’s only around level 140.

Level 325 would be several millions of points.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DarkRainyKnight:

With this set-up everyone would have new levels to shoot for, even the top 25 leaderboard people.

Frankly, the top 25 people already have a target to shoot for: each other. If the leader boards suddenly stopped sucking and reported the top 2500 people instead of the top 25 people, we wouldn’t need a new level cap.

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

That is a big difference, though, from what adv0’s interpretation was—jayisgames is 12x above the level cap, as adv0 mentioned, but he’s only around level 140.

Level 325 would be several millions of points.

Then edit how many tiers of colors you feel would be appropriate. Should be easy to decide how many we want to start off with. If 325 is too much then start with 3 colors. If we did have 325 though then we wouldn’t have this level cap topic/issue anytime in the near future.

Originally posted by Thok:

With this set-up everyone would have new levels to shoot for, even the top 25 leaderboard people.

Frankly, the top 25 people already have a target to shoot for: each other. If the leader boards suddenly stopped sucking and reported the top 2500 people instead of the top 25 people, we wouldn’t need a new level cap.

I thought an Admin mentioned it would be tough to design a larger leaderboard than what we have. Coding and/or server strain or something was mentioned for the ever-changing points and the positions. I have no idea on whether adding to the leaderboards is an option to consider or not.

Flag Post

I thought an Admin mentioned it would be tough to design a larger leaderboard than what we have. Coding and/or server strain or something was mentioned for the ever-changing points and the positions. I have no idea on whether adding to the leaderboards is an option to consider or not.

I used to think that, but then I remembered that it can’t be entirely true. It already does have to know how many points everyone has, otherwise it would never be able to tell if someone has more points than the last person on the leader boards, so it wouldn’t update it with new people. It does currently lag, though, since it ranks everyone by a slightly off amount of points (so it can show someone ahead of someone else when they have less points).

I’d like a larger leader boards as well, or at least the ability to see what rank you are on your profile, so it could say something like “xth out of y users” somewhere on your profile. I think the latter would be better, personally, but I may be biased.

Flag Post

Referrals is a great way to get more points!

Flag Post

Honestly, level 65 as a cap is fine.

It’s achievable within 3 years or so for most hardcore players. Faster for the truly dedicated, and slower for the more casual. It feels like you accomplished something when you hit 65, rather than having an unreachable destination (999, or even 70+ would be feel like that) – who wants to play a game you can never win.

And 25% of badges generally suck (estimated % based on my opinion).

Flag Post

I want to level up. D:

Flag Post

Wait, why you guys are trying to balancing the system around Jayisgames? No other users on Kong would ever be able to reach 400k points in the near future, and trying to create a system that can make that monster fit in is kind of dumb.

Raising the level cap to something like 99 is the only thing I wish for. Even though a prestige system by color is a much better improvement, I have doubt that Kong has the resource and ability to do it any time soon.

Flag Post

It is also possible to become rank 65 if you rate half on kongregate games!
50 Games a day!

Flag Post

I’d like to point out that I think level 77 is the sexiest max.

Flag Post

Points Problem
Right now, it is possible to get to Level 65 (36.560 points) in two years solely by rating 50 games every single day. You don’t even need badges – NOT A SINGLE ONE! So clearly, the current design is flawed. However, the solution is simple:
Make the rating cap 10 points per day. – well, but wasn’t it 30 before and deemed to small?
Well, yes, but it was because once you rated 30 games (or 50 now) in a single day, you couldn’t rate anymore! So not only make the cap 10, but also make it so you can rate n [n>30] games in a day, (n-10) of them without getting points.
But… wouldn’t that be an disadvantage to new players? [Problem No. 1] Yes, and that’s a problem we’ll have to work around. However, fixing the current rating cap now brings less problems than fixing in 10 years.
So, what would be a good way to avoid Problem No. 1? HappyAlcoholic always suggests a separate points system, in which there is a Badge Level, a Referral Level, and a Rating Level. However, this will most likely create the YouTube effect – a video with 100 million views only has about 50 thousand likes/dislikes. Nobody feels motivated to do it, and they won’t here since it won’t help them level up. [Problem No. 2]

So, we have Problem No. 1, and the best way to fix it brings up Problem No. 2. Do you guys have an alternative solution to Problem No. 1? Or a solution to Problem No. 2?

Flag Post

Here’s a novel concept—do nothing. There’s no problem with the current points system.

If you really want to only consider badge points (for whatever reason), there are many tools available through which you can do that.

Someone who reaches level 65 only by rating games is no less entitled to their level 65 position than someone who reaches level 65 only by earning badges (or someone who reaches level 65 only through referrals). There’s a lot more to Kong than earning badges.

Flag Post

A massive part of Kongregate is badges. All people think about is badges – at least regular users – rare are the people that actually enjoy more the forums, the Collabs or whatever. I speak with 5 years and 3 months of experience.
A huge part of the fun of earning badges is getting the points, levelling up, etc. – what worth is a Hard badge if you can simply rate 30 games in a few minutes? Every single day? An Impossible badge at least has some sense of accomplishment – but part of the fun is hindered since you can earn 5/6 of the awarded points in a few minutes by rating. So YES, there IS a problem with the current points system. Not to mention spam-raters rate games unfairly – or do you really think they actually play each of those games for more than 5 seconds?

Flag Post

Here’s a novel concept—do nothing. There’s no problem with the current points system.

If you really want to only consider badge points (for whatever reason), there are many tools available through which you can do that.

Someone who reaches level 65 only by rating games is no less entitled to their level 65 position than someone who reaches level 65 only by earning badges (or someone who reaches level 65 only through referrals). There’s a lot more to Kong than earning badges.

I think of it the same way! A big part of Kongregate and leveling up is about the badges, but there’s also points from rating user-submitted levels, and rating games.
Badges aren’t everything, and it seems like it would take a couple years to get them all anyway. (at least!) Have you seen Balloon Invasion 2? haha

Flag Post

Same for me. Rating games is part of the job (and has actual consequences on the badges) ; and quests ; and bonus ; and referrals.

Flag Post

I don’t see a problem. The points and the level are unimportant, as it says in this thread a badge leader board is way better, only count the impossible and hard badges, this is enough, because the differences between some easy and medium badges aren’t clear. Ok, you can say, hey there is somebody how has 3/4 of all hard and impossible badges ( :D:D:D ) and only has a pair of medium and easy badges, this isn’t right. So what? A person who get so many impossible and hard badges is a hero, easy and medium badges are mostly unimportant.

BTW: If I could change my points to Kreds I would do it to get the hard badge in Tyrant! Just kidding.

Flag Post

The points and the level are unimportant

…except it’s not unimportant for the HUGE MAJORITY of the website. Badges are also MASSIVELY important – and those two are linked. Thus, the bulks of points and levels should come from badges, not from exploiting the ratings system.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pterry23:

BTW: If I could change my points to Kreds I would do it to get the hard badge in Tyrant! Just kidding.

If you want that badge, here’s how I did it:
http://www.kongregate.com/forums/65-tyrant/topics/278234-50-achievements-earned