Forums Kongregate

Apocalypse Nao! (Winners announced...finally!) page 9

396 posts

Flag Post

Wow, I want to win Kongregate t-shirt, that would be awesome.

Flag Post

Never thought I’d see the day where the best game in a series (so far) was a launch game.

And since it’s about cute critters wanting to fly, I’m guessing this isn’t limited to armageddon-esque games anymore. May I therefore recommend Miami Shark and Bunni for badges as well?

Flag Post

Oof, the 400k badge is hard… anyone got some tips?

Flag Post
Originally posted by ivod:

It’s highly recommended that you have all upgrades purchased, and you basically need to get perfect landings on 80%-90% of your jumps to keep your happiness at 4x or 5x (so land on the side of a valley where it’s sloping down, but curving up). Practice is all that I can really say other than that, since it’s just a matter of keeping your speed up to keep your happiness up.

EDIT @below: Good points, it took me a while to notice that as well. It seems that the map is made so that you can usually chain jump between the valleys with crystals in them, though, since I usually am able to just hit them for most of my jumps, so it’s easier to keep speed up that way.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 123aaa789:
Originally posted by ivod:

It’s highly recommended that you have all upgrades purchased, and you basically need to get perfect landings on 80%-90% of your jumps to keep your happiness at 4x or 5x (so land on the side of a valley where it’s sloping down, but curving up). Practice is all that I can really say other than that, since it’s just a matter of keeping your speed up to keep your happiness up.

To expand, crystals only improve your speed, not your score, so it’s much better to focus on maintaining your speed than trying to hit every crystal. Distance and time bonus are the only ways to score points and happiness is basically a multiplier.

Flag Post

i think i’m the only one who doesn’t like this game. i know it’s different from other launcher games for most of you who don’t game on other platforms, but for those of us that do, it’s just another launcher of type y.

i’d always get screwed with zone 9 and go from x5 to x2, which kills my badge chance since it’s really hard to recover multipliers beyond that point. so, my only tip for the hard badge is don’t get fucked over in zone 9. it’s always important to keep your multiplier high, and the farther you go in the game the harder it is to recover multiplier.

PS: that is one reason I don’t like the game – it becomes artificially more difficult the farther you get into the level. The second reason is that, like most bad launcher games, you just repeat the same stuff over and over with little change because of progress. This is the same problem people complained aboot with berzerkstudios’ latest game. It could be improved by offering more rewards for skill gameplay… but alas there isn’t much besides aiming yourself for the downhill slope.

Flag Post
Originally posted by wattro:

i think i’m the only one who doesn’t like this game. i know it’s different from other launcher games for most of you who don’t game on other platforms, but for those of us that do, it’s just another launcher of type y.

i’d always get screwed with zone 9 and go from x5 to x2, which kills my badge chance since it’s really hard to recover multipliers beyond that point. so, my only tip for the hard badge is don’t get fucked over in zone 9. it’s always important to keep your multiplier high, and the farther you go in the game the harder it is to recover multiplier.

PS: that is one reason I don’t like the game – it becomes artificially more difficult the farther you get into the level. The second reason is that, like most bad launcher games, you just repeat the same stuff over and over with little change because of progress. This is the same problem people complained aboot with berzerkstudios’ latest game. It could be improved by offering more rewards for skill gameplay… but alas there isn’t much besides aiming yourself for the downhill slope.

Zone 9 was very difficult for me. I got there at least 7 or 8 times before I finally figured it out more or less and breezed through it. 10 is harder than 9, and I died there a few times too.

This game is very much skill based. I had as much as a 70k score difference in two different runs getting to the same ending place. The faster you go, the more points you get. When I learned that, I aimed myself for slopes with gems, and my score consistently was higher than it was without gems. With only 10 zones, even if you do beat the game, you still might not get the hard badge if you don’t get enough speed.

Flag Post

I’ve reached the hard badge requirement twice now (first time was last night when I got about 407,000, and second time was about 30 minutes ago when I got just under 401,000), and both times zone 9 was the worst. Usually you drop from about a happiness of 5x to 3x or 2x, and then are able to build it back up in zone 10 (I found that the hills were overall steeper in 9, so it became harder to chain together jumps to build speed again). For my run today, I was at about 340,000 points after zone 8, so Id say that’s a score to aim for at that point if you’re looking to get the hard badge, though you can easily get a higher score if you do better in zone 9.

Something else is that you can usually chain together jumps between valleys with the crystals in them quite easily, since it seems that they’re spread out just the right amount, so that’s one way to tell where’s a good place to aim.

Flag Post

Dillo Hills seems a little like Escape the Red Giant. Being precise when hitting new slopes to gain enough speed reminds me of being precise when hitting new planets in EtRG to gain score multiplier, and that’s why I highly dislike Dillo Hills. My best run so far has been zone 8 with only a little over 200k score, meaning this is a truly difficult badge, at least for me.

Flag Post

What I appreciate about Dillo Hills is how differently it plays compared to other launch titles.

For most of you on Kongregate, the first launch game you played will have been Toss The Turtle, which is also the format most launch titles adhere to: the one where you set the angle and speed, score based on distance and have little to no additional actual gameplay mechanics beyond a couple of power-ups to try to extend your distance.

Dillo Hills, on the other hand, is a much more involved gameplay experience with the emphasis more on speed and timing than just simple distance. I almost hesitate to call it a launch title, to be honest.

As for the hard badge, 123aaa789 and Fricknmaniac have the right of it. Stop focusing on gems as soon as you don’t need to purchase upgrades anymore, keep your happiness up as much as possible to get the higher multipliers, and focus more on getting your landings right and ample amounts of height / air time out of your launches.

Flag Post

Thanks for the tips! I just got 345000 or so, I think that hard badge will be doable for me

Flag Post
Originally posted by bobby71983:
Originally posted by wattro:

This game is very much skill based. I had as much as a 70k score difference in two different runs getting to the same ending place. The faster you go, the more points you get. When I learned that, I aimed myself for slopes with gems, and my score consistently was higher than it was without gems. With only 10 zones, even if you do beat the game, you still might not get the hard badge if you don’t get enough speed.

oh yeah, i don’t disagree with that. my problem with that being the only element of skill required is that it’s exactly that – the only element of skill… and thus subject to bouts of bad luck – eg: unavoidable storm clouds, not having much visibility so it can hard to plan the next best place to swoop for a valley, becomes harder to judge distances when you get launched really high into the air (which is exacerbated when you have to land on a slope that is nearly as steep as your decent which sometimes you have to choose because the next valley might be very flat)

Flag Post

Take a Walk… good game :D

Bit of a bug though with the achievement? It only has a medium but the ‘Apocalypse Nao!’ achievement says ‘earn 5 points’.

Flag Post

“Earn 5 points” just means you get 5 points for completing the challenge.

Flag Post

“You’ve also earned one entry into our Kong schwag giveaway!

All necromancy brought to you by Apocalypse NAO!"

This is the first time I see this when I complete the challenge.. is it new or did I do something wrong the previous challenges?

EDIT: and is there a hard badge coming for, say 7500+ or 8000+ points?:)

Flag Post
Originally posted by rawismojo:

“Earn 5 points” just means you get 5 points for completing the challenge.

I swear I didn’t use to get points for it but I’ve looked in my points history and apparently I did. 0_o

Flag Post

New and improved Snail!
I liked the game though, I think there should be another badge for score or birds collected.

Flag Post

Seems a bit easy for a medium badge.
Don’t see a hard badge in this game either. I think I only made 2 mistakes on my blind first playthrough.

Flag Post

“Take A Walk” is apparently named for what the game makes you want to get up and do by the time you’ve finished playing it. >_<

Seriously, there are a lot of insipid games by delusional developers on Kongregate who try to use that “Art House” label to compensate for the fact that their games are terrible, but that game takes it to levels I’d have previously thought unimaginable.

Some of the games during this event, I do genuinely believe deserved badges the first time around and just inexplicably slipped through the cracks. “Take A Walk” was definitely not one of them.

Flag Post

It’s not a bad game. It’s cute, it’s not too long. I just can’t help comparing it to Jumping Line. >_>

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bluji:

Dillo Hills seems a little like Escape the Red Giant. Being precise when hitting new slopes to gain enough speed reminds me of being precise when hitting new planets in EtRG to gain score multiplier, and that’s why I highly dislike Dillo Hills. My best run so far has been zone 8 with only a little over 200k score, meaning this is a truly difficult badge, at least for me.

EtRG doesn’t require anywhere near the level of precision that Dillo Hills does.

Flag Post

I’d apparently already played this game before, so I auto-earned the challenge and badge, but unlike the other games I’d played before, I don’t recall anything about this one. Might have to replay it if I get bored later.

Flag Post

that wasn’t my fav. challenge game of all time that’s for sure but at least the music is nice.

Flag Post

Not a fan of this game. I usually enjoy the artsy games with deep meanings that make you sad and whatnot, but this game is just art. There is no deep meaning to this game. You are walking, then you jog a bit. The end. Sure, it has good music, but that doesn’t make it a great game. I have no idea why it’s a medium badge, it should definitely be an easy.

Flag Post

Game was lame. Glad it was a medium.