Forums Kongregate

Kongregate Charity?

24 posts

Flag Post

More than 15 million players on Kongregate a month. Close to 1 million hours spent each day. And millions suffer each day. There is no specific way to donate through Kongregate in the status quo, but it is something that should be introduced. Not to pester games with pop ups in the middle of the games, because that is not what it should be about. But if everyone donated 1 dollar for every 5 hours they spent on Kongregate, this Kongregate sponsored Charity would be able to donate around 6 million dollars every month to a charity. That is an extremely hopeful goal, but we need hope now more than ever. A dollar will not make a difference to you. But 6 million will make an undeniable difference to many peoples lives.
At the very least, 1000 dollars will be an easily achievable goal. And any dollar amount will make a difference to someone. IF Kongregate should choose to foster such an idea, I am sure that it will be much improved. Please comment your thoughts on this, because we as the community of Kongregate can make a difference.

Flag Post

$1 every 5 hours adds up. That’s a lot of money and the advantage that Kongregate has over consoles is that it’s free. It’s unreasonable to expect the userbase to be financially stable, especially considering how young a significant portion of users are.

Flag Post

Personally, I’m broke right now.
But I give back to the community around me by volunteering my time on Kongregate moderating, and my time elsewhere helping my Church or various other organizations.

Flag Post

Yes, hence why I believed it was extremely hopeful. But say only 1% of Kongregate were to donate $0.50 a month, it would still be about 7500 dollars a month. Which is a significantly higher than any one person can raise a month for a charity.

Flag Post

Also, your data is flawed. Kongregate doesn’t have 15 million players/users. We recently crossed the 10 million account mark, but multiple accounts is very common. If you’re referring to Emily Greer’s keynote this past September, Kongregate has 15 million unique views (which could still be the same user, multiple times).

So, the number is actually, much, much less. I’d ballpark Kongregate’s active userbase at around 7.5 million registered users & guests.

Flag Post

I would like to see this happen.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OkeyDokey2014:

Yes, hence why I believed it was extremely hopeful. But say only 1% of Kongregate were to donate $0.50 a month, it would still be about 7500 dollars a month. Which is a significantly higher than any one person can raise a month for a charity.

That’s still an unreasonable expectation. 15 million unique hits aren’t 15 million different players. That presumably also includes hits from unregistered accounts, and people who don’t bother to register for a service are not likely to donate to a charity sponsored by that service.

Flag Post

I see. I had been reading some flawed data I suppose. Was the 28 million hours a month correct?

Flag Post

What charity exactly? There are many. What’s to stop these people from donating to things because of say a TV commercial? Now this is not really meant to shut down this idea, it would be great if kong did this, although they would have to be cautious on how the market this.

Flag Post
Originally posted by uuu2:

What charity exactly? There are many. What’s to stop these people from donating to things because of say a TV commercial? Now this is not really meant to shut down this idea, it would be great if kong did this, although they would have to be cautious on how the market this.

This is a very real concern, as a brainstormed idea, what if there were to be an incentive type program used for this charity? For example, the members of Kongregate vote on a small list of legitimate charities to see which charity the money would go to. Possibly the more you donate, the more your vote counts. Or something along those lines. And to EVERYONE, Please, this critisism NEEDS to happen if this were to be a viable idea. No feelings will be hurt.

Flag Post

If you’re going to be voting for charities, you need to keep in mind that Kongregate has a world-wide audience.

Flag Post

It is common sense that a majority of users will never think twice about the charity. But the nickels and dimes of the people who can afford it will add up, simply because there are so many users. There will always be the outliers of the donations, the random 5 dollar bill that comes in from parents of young users. The percentage of these donations will be infinitesimal compared to the percentages of people who completely ignore it. But because of the sheer numbers of the Kongregate population, whether it is 15 million or 7 million, will make these donations matter.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

If you’re going to be voting for charities, you need to keep in mind that Kongregate has a world-wide audience.

This is true, but there are many multinational charities that affect people worldwide. Charity isn’t about helping someone in need down the block, it is about helping someone in need, be that person here or in another part of the world.

Flag Post

I’ve been thinking about this in the past as well. Someone else has brought this up, so why not?

I’ve been thinking about being able to donate unwanted kreds to a Kong Account. Or some donation page to improve Kong in its entirety. (And maybee its speling as welz)

Flag Post
Originally posted by S_98:

I’ve been thinking about this in the past as well. Someone else has brought this up, so why not?

I’ve been thinking about being able to donate unwanted kreds to a Kong Account. Or some donation page to improve Kong in its entirety. (And maybee its speling as welz)

That could potentially harm Kongregate majorly now that they’re attempting to give free kreds to users. While developers can’t cash out below a minimum earning ($25 if I remember right), that sort of limitation wouldn’t affect an administrative charity account the same way. People would expect some level of transparency with such an account, so we’d see the amount donated so far; if the amounts of cash Kong spends on philanthropy don’t match the amounts associated with the account, accusations of theft/embezzlement will fly. Troublemakers/enemies of the company could easily exploit a free kred offer with numerous alt accounts redeeming those kreds and donating them to the charity account.

Can you imagine what would happen if thousands of accounts suddenly donated 5 free kreds? That cash value has to come from somewhere. Guess who pays? Kong.

Flag Post

i sometimes donate my kreds to Kongai.

Flag Post

im not gonna give any of my money to kong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by IceWeaselX:

That could potentially harm Kongregate majorly now that they’re attempting to give free kreds to users. While developers can’t cash out below a minimum earning ($25 if I remember right), that sort of limitation wouldn’t affect an administrative charity account the same way. People would expect some level of transparency with such an account, so we’d see the amount donated so far; if the amounts of cash Kong spends on philanthropy don’t match the amounts associated with the account, accusations of theft/embezzlement will fly. Troublemakers/enemies of the company could easily exploit a free kred offer with numerous alt accounts redeeming those kreds and donating them to the charity account.

Can you imagine what would happen if thousands of accounts suddenly donated 5 free kreds? That cash value has to come from somewhere. Guess who pays? Kong.

:/ Wow, put things into perspective. By the way, why would Kongregate pay? Because I mean, it is an easily avoidable thing. Just never ever give free kreds ever again.
Well, then block the viewing of Kongregate donations. If it is under scrutiny, then make sure the money tallies. Why can’t you do that? If the money doesn’t tally then where did the money go? Just say that it’s been paid to [] or used to sponsor []. I mean, why don’t troublemakers spam alts now? Because they probably already do. It doesn’t really make a difference even if the kred donation thing comes into effect. (now correct me if I’m wrong here) Kongregate has been having kred giveaways for a long time. Just because there’s a way to donate back to the site doesn’t really mean that the giveaways will be taken advantage of. If you are talking about the dangers of virtual currency inflating beyond control, like in Zimbabwe or something, then there HAS to be a way to counterbalance it right? I’m not an Economics student, but the word that I think I’m looking for is a little compromise here and there.

Flag Post
Originally posted by IceWeaselX:

:/ Wow, put things into perspective. By the way, why would Kongregate pay? Because I mean, it is an easily avoidable thing. Just never ever give free kreds ever again.
Well, then block the viewing of Kongregate donations. If it is under scrutiny, then make sure the money tallies. Why can’t you do that? If the money doesn’t tally then where did the money go? Just say that it’s been paid to [] or used to sponsor []. I mean, why don’t troublemakers spam alts now? Because they probably already do. It doesn’t really make a difference even if the kred donation thing comes into effect. (now correct me if I’m wrong here) Kongregate has been having kred giveaways for a long time. Just because there’s a way to donate back to the site doesn’t really mean that the giveaways will be taken advantage of. If you are talking about the dangers of virtual currency inflating beyond control, like in Zimbabwe or something, then there HAS to be a way to counterbalance it right? I’m not an Economics student, but the word that I think I’m looking for is a little compromise here and there.

What I’m saying is that the tally is the transparency – people will want some form of feedback that shows the service is getting used, and will want to know that the money is going where it’s intended and not into the admins’ pockets. I mentioned that because of the inflated donation possibility, where Kong would be forced to deal with more donations than expected.

The reason it would be an issue is that Kongregate has thus far not set a known limit to the number of accounts that may receive free kreds from an offer/promotion. As Zshadow said, the existence of the tipping system was one of the reasons they had not been offering free kreds as a common promotion. They are just now testing the waters with free kreds since that particular risk has been removed.

Previously, a free kred giveaway was likely a pre-determined payment from an advertiser. For argument’s sake, let’s suppose that an advertiser paid Kongregate a flat $5,000 fee to promote a game with 5 kreds to every person that played it. In such a case, Kongregate would see almost pure profit from that, since most people would not find anything they could/would spend the 5 kreds on. On the dev end, it could not be cashed in unless the dev had taken in at least $25 worth.

Now let’s suppose that the charity for kred donations exists. That same $5,000 has been paid. People start throwing the 5 kreds at the charity. The charity would be relatively high-profile compared to most dev accounts, so we can assume there will be some legitimate donations. However, there are some people who may very well want to harm Kongregate (industry rivals, whiny brats with a grudge, a staff member’s ex-spouse, etc.). It’s a very easy matter to create alternate accounts, and IP addresses alone don’t prove someone is an alt. Masses of accounts donating 5 kreds would stack up very quickly. Since the promotion was already paid for, there is no new income dedicated to its payouts. However, there is no limit to the kreds paid to the charity account.

Kongregate can’t afford to pay out if the outgoing expenses outweigh the incoming revenue for a promotion.

Flag Post

In the past we’ve had charity donations (Haiti and Child’s Play Charity are two big ones I can think of), so it’s very possible there will be more in the future.

Flag Post

Can I nominate my bank account into the drawing for the next charity, Z?

Flag Post
Originally posted by SicMirx:

I like this option, I want to do this too.

Flag Post

Can we hold a charity for Intelligent Systems?

Flag Post
Originally posted by SicMirx:

All glory be to Sic’s bank account.