Forums Kongregate

Introducing Cinematic Mode

86 posts

Flag Post

Greetings community!

One big suggestion that you all have been making over the years is for us to dim the lights on our game screen for your viewing pleasure. Much like a movie theater, we’re taking the glare away to enhance your gaming experience to its full potential!

How does it work?

For those of you in our split test, pull up any game you’d like to play. On the top left of the game window, you’ll see a newly added button that enables you to go into cinematic mode. This increases the game size, dims the background, and gives you a bigger, clearer gaming experience!

Yes, the chatbox is left behind (sorry!) but it is still available when you exit out of cinematic mode. This is still in testing phase, so we’d like for all suggestions and feedback to be posted in this thread. :)

Also! If the game looks wonky or out of proportion when in cinematic mode, we’ve also included a quick way to let us know. Simply click the cinematic bug report link underneath the game. This will let us know something isn’t working correctly, and our team can get it fixed up before a full publishing of cinematic mode is made. Thank you for your help!

(Courtesy of AlisonClaire)

Game on!

Flag Post

Wow. I’m so jelly that I don’t have the new test website yet. Sounds awesome! :D

Flag Post

Dammit! I want part of this split-test. All of this new stuff sounds awesome.

Flag Post

Awesome.

Flag Post

That indeed sounds awesome.

Flag Post

Great!But can you tell us about when it will be implemented?

Flag Post

So it’s a pop-out window. Interesting.

Originally posted by Ratchet1999:

Great!But can you tell us about when it will be implemented?

It is right now, in testing. If you were one of the users randomly selected to see the new game page in the split test, then you have it. As for it being site-wide, no idea. Probably when they have enough data and feel comfortable with replacing the game page with the new one.

Flag Post

This is amazing. Very glad I’m part of this split test :D

I wish chat could be fit in (and expanded?) by moving the game to the left and putting the chat on the right, though.

Flag Post

I don’t think I’m one of the lucky ones. :P

Flag Post

Would be nice to have the option for chat.

edit: Yey, I’m part of a split for once.

Flag Post

I would also like to add that the other link does not even fit into one message in PR2. xD
But this thread does, so thank you Z.

Flag Post

Sounds great to me.

Flag Post

Awesome! Just find a way to implement the chatbox into it as well. And if that isn’t a possibility, than also add a feature that makes the background darker without the game popping out, which I know you can do fairly easily. But as it is right now it is still crazy awesome.

Flag Post

Hey, this is actually a pretty good update.

Flag Post

i’m sad because my friend is telling me that it is very cool and awesome and that he has it and i dont

Flag Post

I’M IN THE SPLIT-TEST HELL YA

Edit: screenshot

Flag Post

I approve! I’m in the split test group and it’s pretty great.

Flag Post

Here’s what it looks like on a bigger screen with a game that scales

If you see games that look weird in cinematic mode, please please push the “Cinematic Bug” button below the game

When that happens we can turn off scaling. You’ll still be able to use cinematic mode, the game just will stay the same size. For ones where scaling is enabled (most of them) the size of the game will increase as you increase the window size.

It would be super helpful for people to go through games and bug any that look weird. This usually means that it doesn’t fill up the whole window or is weirdly off center.

Flag Post

The scaling is a nice idea. I’m guessing that’s why chat isn’t accessible in this mode. So sounds like there is still a use for Night Mode. ;)

Flag Post

mfw I never noticed the “block” option.

Flag Post

I don’t have the split test, but does the scaling feature scale games down if they’re too big for your screen?

If so, I’ll love this feature. If not, I probably won’t use it.

Flag Post

Sweet. I must say, the recent changes to kongregate have been awesome! Keep it up.

Flag Post

Aw I don’t have it :(
It looks awesome though! Can’t wait until it’s fully released.

Flag Post

Love it!
Now when someone talks to me, and I don’t feel like talking back, I can claim I was in Cinematic Mode and didn’t see their message!

Flag Post
Originally posted by WiiPlayer113:

Love it!
Now when someone talks to me, and I don’t feel like talking back, I can claim I was in Cinematic Mode and didn’t see their message!

Makes mental note.

I’d love to test random games to see if they work properly, but I’m not sure how my shitty computer would handle it. Maybe if the criteria was narrowed down a bit to certain game types or something, I’d be able to help.