Forums Kongregate

Looking For Translators

39 posts

Flag Post

I wasn’t sure where to post this, but since I’m looking for reliable Kongregate users I think this is probably the best place. I’m just looking for anyone who would like to translate the text/dialogue in a game in order to get your name in the credits. It will only be a few hundred to a few thousand words in length and we can discuss further payment in private if you have a valid way for me to pay you such as PayPal, but in some cases the amount of work will be minimal and could take a few minutes for somebody fluent in both languages.

I am looking for many languages, including: Spanish, French, Italian, German, Dutch, Portugeuse, Turkish, Russian, Hindi, Chinese, Korean & Japanese. Ideally I would love to cover as many languages as possible, and I’d also love to find people who would like to do this on a regular basis. I can’t offer much, but again we can discuss payment in private as I’m not exactly sure how many words each project will be and if people are willing to do it just for credit in the games then that is even better!

Please let me know! There’s no rush, this is just something I’d like to plan for larger games in the near future and it would be great to have some people, especially some friends, who want to help.

Flag Post

I can speak native German, if that’s what you want.

Edit: Google Translate is hilariously bad with German sometimes.

Flag Post

what about google translate

http://translate.google.com/

Flag Post

Google Translate is decent, but it’s no comparison to native/fluent speakers.

Flag Post

Yeah definitely Taiboss, I’m just looking for people to translate from English to another language.

And thank you for the suggestion Galdos, but as adv0 said Google Translate is not sufficient for an actual translation.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

Google Translate is decent, but it’s no comparison to native/fluent speakers.

Especially for published works.

Flag Post

I can probably do Chinese.

To note, Mandarin is only a dialect. Unless you’re including voice dialogues, it’s essentially the same thing as Chinese.

Flag Post

I used to work with a Chinese girl who could speak Chinese, Mandarin, Spanish, French and of course English, all perfectly fluent. I have her on Facebook so I think I’m going to have to ask if she’s interested.

Awesome, thanks for pointing that out CowFriend. I’ll fix that now.

Flag Post

Well, I can do English→Russian. Can you Kong PM me? If I find the task interesting I’d gladly discuss further details with you. :)

Flag Post

I can translate English to French. You know where to find me ;)

Flag Post

i googled and found this forum where people might be able to help you:

http://help.berberber.com/#free-translation-forums

Flag Post
Originally posted by Taiboss:

I can speak native German, if that’s what you want.

Edit: Google Translate is hilariously bad with German sometimes.

Fun fact: if you translate "hold on" into Mandarin on Google Translate, you get the equivalent to "continue." :3

Flag Post

I can translate english in chinese and french.

Flag Post

Google Translate is good when one needs a quick and rough translation. Don’t know how it is for other languages but speaking of English <→ Russian GTranslate is weak when it comes to idioms, slang and specialized vocabulary.

upd http://www.multitran.ru Is a nice idiom database but it’s more of a support tool than actual translator. Using it blindly may end in moonshine transforming into radar influence or smth. like that :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Player609:

Google Translate is good when one needs a quick and rough translation. Don’t know how it is for other languages but speaking of English <→ Russian GTranslate is weak when it comes to idioms, slang and specialized vocabulary.

Automated translators are generally focused on textbook translations. For this reason, slang, idioms, and sarcasm are awful things to use when attempting to communicate with a non-native speaker who may be relying on a translation tool (I’m looking at you, people who rage at foreign developers).

There are translators that are made specifically for conversational use, but even those are imperfect. Things like dialect differences and common misspellings can throw those off as well.

Flag Post

@ IceWeaselX, true.

Also there’re style and targeted audience issues as well. What was considered as a subculture / age group slang yesterday may transit into everyday common language tomorrow and become outdated / change meanings to the opposite in that particular subculture for instance.

Or another example: a new cultural phenomenon emerges. Some ppl reject it. They tend to label that phenomenon with negative slang. Sometimes they “steal” idioms originally related to that phenomenon, mark as “negative” and start using as a cliche.

I find it all amazing :D

But a translation program can’t help with such issues.

Flag Post

I can translate to Dutch (native).

Flag Post

If you want translation into danish, I can maybe help with that.
It depends on what it is and how much it is. I know you’ve written something about that, but I need to see it before I can give you a straight answer.

Flag Post

Je peux le faire. Je parle francais.

I might also be able to translate into Hebrew. I don’t know it fluently, though.

Flag Post

I’m surprised nobody offered Spanish. I’m a chilean, native speaker. I can translate to Spanish if you need it.

Flag Post

I can do Spanish. :) This sounds fun :o

Flag Post

If you need British or Australian done call me maybe.

Flag Post

I am good translating (I do it a lot) to Spanish. I will do it in a short time, double checking the grammar, and I dont want a payment :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by DarkRainyKnight:

If you need British or Australian done call me maybe.

On that note, I can do Canadian, eh.

I’m surprised so many languages have already been taken, nice to see how responsive the community is to help out with something like this.

Flag Post

I be doin’ the translizzle into thugspeak, yo! Fo’ shizzle!