Forums Kongregate

Best of 2012 Quest! page 2

40 posts

Flag Post

I love how everyone blames Kongregate. Kongregate really had nothing to do with it. They locked in 8 (highest user rated games) then had 2 up for user vote. Don’t blame Kongregate for any shitty games in the quest, blame your fellow users.

You can’t even blame Kongregate for the games getting badges, since the criteria is based on user ratings. If your gripe is with the badges themselves, then that’s a different story. :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Terastas:

Terastas rant

I didn’t have the Musaic Box medium badge and still voted for it.

Flag Post

Well I think this year’s quest is about par for the course…the only difference is the last couple of years there was at least one killer game included…2011 had RPG Shooter, and 2010 had Mardek, EBF and Enchanted Cave….of course, this year also improves on the previous two by not having a total stinker like Doodle God or Tyrant (I say this without yet having played Paladog), so it all balances out.

Originally posted by resterman:

Terastas rant

I stopped reading when the implication was made that BBR is not “incredibly boring, incredibly ill-conceived, or both”.

Flag Post

Oh, FYI, nobody voted for Musaic Box or ISHST because they thought the games were good. They voted for them because they already have the badges.

or just plain make it look terrible, so nobody will actually be bothered with playing the game except for A) the people that go in and five-star everything just to get the points for rating it, and B) the people that go in and five-star everything because they’re impressed by anything that even remotely resembles a game.

Haha how in the world could you possibly know these things, your whole post seems kind of insane

Flag Post

Oh, FYI, nobody voted for Musaic Box or ISHST because they thought the games were good. They voted for them because they already have the badges.

I have the Musaic Box badge. I also own the full game I liked it so much.

Flag Post

Musaic Box was fun. It’s a musical approach that is not overplayed (I dislike rhythm games), and is mostly relaxing compared to a lot of other games. I didn’t bother voting (I don’t even rate games), but I would have voted for it if I had.

Flag Post

Terastas rant

I can blame them for giving these festering turds badges in the first place. And I blame them again for taking the word of a huge group of people, most of whom probably never even bothered playing the games at all before rating them.

Were I at Kongregate, I would have voted in favor of changing the title from “Best of” to “Highest rated.”

Originally posted by LouWeed:

Well I think this year’s quest is about par for the course…the only difference is the last couple of years there was at least one killer game included…2011 had RPG Shooter, and 2010 had Mardek, EBF and Enchanted Cave….of course, this year also improves on the previous two by not having a total stinker like Doodle God or Tyrant (I say this without yet having played Paladog), so it all balances out.

Terastas rant

I stopped reading when the implication was made that BBR is not “incredibly boring, incredibly ill-conceived, or both”.

BBR is only not boring compared to the other games. The fact that it one of the best games of the lot is not a compliment to BBR so much as an insult to all the other games on the list.

I’d rank them this way from “best” to worst:
1: Knightmare Tower. Just another launch game, not all that different from the original Burrito Bison, though the fact that you attack in the direction opposite the way you’re moving gives a greater emphasis on timing. It gets repetitive very early, but does just enough to keep things at least marginally interesting.
2: Burrito Bison Revenge. It’s the same damn thing as the original Burrito Bison, except with the power-ups swapped around. The only thing that keeps it from being as boring as the other games is the cartoonish nature of the power-ups. I got, at the very least, a few chuckles out of it.
3: Bloons TD 5. Just like BBR, it does next to nothing to hide the fact that it’s basically the same damn game as the others. It has a lot of additional power-ups, sure, but also has an included “cash for content” gimmick.
4: i saw her standing there. The game that had so little thought put into it, the developer couldn’t even be bothered to use the Shift key as he was titling it. The only saving grace of this game is that it’s ridiculously short, so you’ll have the badge before you fall asleep from this snooze-fest.
5: Paladog. It’s an Epic War ripoff, and not even a good one. Instead it uses cute character designs and terrible mini-games to try and compensate for the fact that there isn’t an ounce of originality in the game, which is guaranteed to be either incredibly frustrating or incredibly boring, and never anything in between.
6: New Star Soccer. The ONLY redeeming factor of this game is that, as far as I know, it’s original (or at least isn’t a sequel or a direct ripoff of something else). That, and the medium badge only took a couple of minutes to get, so by the time you’ve figured out just how broken the game mechanics are — how much of an absolute chore this game is to play — you’ll already be done with it. Whoever made this clearly didn’t think it would ever be played anywhere except on a smartphone by people bored out of their skulls waiting at the bus stop — the kind of people who would never notice that the game they’re playing is absolute garbage.
7: Decision 2. To it’s credit, this plays more like an expansion pack than a direct knock-off, but there’s just one problem: It all sucks. ATM machines, hiding places and machine gun nests (which are, mechanics-wise, broken) don’t balance out the slew of new, cheap enemies (like those freakin’ werewolves) and stupid defense missions. I gave the original Decision a 1/5, but Decision 2 is far worse.
8: Infectonator 2. I think it’s telling enough that you don’t even have to finish the game to get the last hard badge. This game is as boring a chore as a game can get. The only thing that kept me from falling asleep was that effing music (which is literally the exact same crap as was in the original).
9: Incursion. It’s a ripoff of Kingdom Rush. Not as boring as Infectonator 2, sure, but it pisses me off even more because A) It’s not a sequel — it’s a genuine ripoff, B) it’s shoddily programmed, and C) there’s actually LESS in this game than the game it’s ripping off. It is, blatant and unapologetic in its complete and utter void of originality.
10: Musaic Box. There are plenty of games out there that manage to be frustrating OR boring, but few that can be frustrating AND boring. This game accomplishes this. The puzzles (which have you puzzling together the melodies of preschool songs) are insultingly easy only when they do not rely on cheapness (like one puzzle where four pieces looked and sounded identical to each other), so the developers evidently sought to compensate by making the players search around the scenery for the puzzles first, using a search tool that is an absolute Nazi about the precision of where you are clicking. This helps it achieve the rare feat of being insultingly easy AND a boring chore to play. This game is an absolute insult, both to the player, and to the art department (which I promise you is the only thing every single person who rated this highly took into consideration).

Seriously, I never gave anything on this list a score above 2/5. I wish I could line up everybody that just gave these games five stars without playing them on the side of the road and hire a cab so I could stick my hand out the passenger side window and bitch slap them all at once.

Flag Post

Were I at Kongregate, I would have voted in favor of changing the title from “Best of” to “Highest rated.”

In context, there really is no difference. “Best” is a generic superlative. Of the ratings, these were the games with the best ones.

Flag Post

Careful not to fix being cynical with having an honest opinion Tera. ;)

Flag Post

Terastas: By your definition of originality, nothing is original in 21st century.

Flag Post

Terastas rant

I can blame them for giving these festering turds badges in the first place. And I blame them again for taking the word of a huge group of people, most of whom probably never even bothered playing the games at all before rating them.

Originally posted by LouWeed:

Terastas rant

BBR is only not boring compared to the other games. The fact that it one of the best games of the lot is not a compliment to BBR so much as an insult to all the other games on the list.

I’d rank them this way from “best” to worst:
1: Knightmare Tower. Just another launch game, not all that different from the original Burrito Bison, though the fact that you attack in the direction opposite the way you’re moving gives a greater emphasis on timing. It gets repetitive very early, but does just enough to keep things at least marginally interesting.
2: Burrito Bison Revenge. It’s the same damn thing as the original Burrito Bison, except with the power-ups swapped around. The only thing that keeps it from being as boring as the other games is the cartoonish nature of the power-ups. I got, at the very least, a few chuckles out of it.
3: Bloons TD 5. Just like BBR, it does next to nothing to hide the fact that it’s basically the same damn game as the others. It has a lot of additional power-ups, sure, but also has an included “cash for content” gimmick.
4: i saw her standing there. The game that had so little thought put into it, the developer couldn’t even be bothered to use the Shift key as he was titling it. The only saving grace of this game is that it’s ridiculously short, so you’ll have the badge before you fall asleep from this snooze-fest.
5: Paladog. It’s an Epic War ripoff, and not even a good one. Instead it uses cute character designs and terrible mini-games to try and compensate for the fact that there isn’t an ounce of originality in the game, which is guaranteed to be either incredibly frustrating or incredibly boring, and never anything in between.
6: New Star Soccer. The ONLY redeeming factor of this game is that, as far as I know, it’s original (or at least isn’t a sequel or a direct ripoff of something else). That, and the medium badge only took a couple of minutes to get, so by the time you’ve figured out just how broken the game mechanics are — how much of an absolute chore this game is to play — you’ll already be done with it. Whoever made this clearly didn’t think it would ever be played anywhere except on a smartphone by people bored out of their skulls waiting at the bus stop — the kind of people who would never notice that the game they’re playing is absolute garbage.
7: Decision 2. To it’s credit, this plays more like an expansion pack than a direct knock-off, but there’s just one problem: It all sucks. ATM machines, hiding places and machine gun nests (which are, mechanics-wise, broken) don’t balance out the slew of new, cheap enemies (like those freakin’ werewolves) and stupid defense missions. I gave the original Decision a 1/5, but Decision 2 is far worse.
8: Infectonator 2. I think it’s telling enough that you don’t even have to finish the game to get the last hard badge. This game is as boring a chore as a game can get. The only thing that kept me from falling asleep was that effing music (which is literally the exact same crap as was in the original).
9: Incursion. It’s a ripoff of Kingdom Rush. Not as boring as Infectonator 2, sure, but it pisses me off even more because A) It’s not a sequel — it’s a genuine ripoff, B) it’s shoddily programmed, and C) there’s actually LESS in this game than the game it’s ripping off. It is, blatant and unapologetic in its complete and utter void of originality.
10: Musaic Box. There are plenty of games out there that manage to be frustrating OR boring, but few that can be frustrating AND boring. This game accomplishes this. The puzzles (which have you puzzling together the melodies of preschool songs) are insultingly easy only when they do not rely on cheapness (like one puzzle where four pieces looked and sounded identical to each other), so the developers evidently sought to compensate by making the players search around the scenery for the puzzles first, using a search tool that is an absolute Nazi about the precision of where you are clicking. This helps it achieve the rare feat of being insultingly easy AND a boring chore to play. This game is an absolute insult, both to the player, and to the art department (which I promise you is the only thing every single person who rated this highly took into consideration).

Seriously, I never gave anything on this list a score above 2/5. I wish I could line up everybody that just gave these games five stars without playing them on the side of the road and hire a cab so I could stick my hand out the passenger side window and bitch slap them all at once.

If you can make better games, go ahead. I’ll be the first one to play them and see that your creations will be no better than these.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ivod:

If you can make better games, go ahead. I’ll be the first one to play them and see that your creations will be no better than these.

Yes, that’s right, the fact that I couldn’t make a game of my own means I’m also incapable of recognizing when someone else can’t either. Imagine if George W. Bush had answered all the ridicule that he was an awful president by yelling “I’d like to see you do any better!”

No, I couldn’t make a decent game if I wanted to. But from the look of things, neither can Armor Games, Berzerk, Fazecat, or anyone else that Kongregate is way too quick to trust. The only difference between all of them and me? I have no delusions to the contrary.

No, I take it back. Looking at the list again, I think only half of them could have actually been delusional. The other half are laughing hysterically watching nimrods like ivod 5-star and favorite all this garbage that took them less than a day to slap together. Half the games on the list aren’t even the full games — they’re teasers for games you can buy for your smartphone, fundamentally not all that different from the slew of one-level-only games that comes free with your PS1.

And those games, which are literally nothing more than advertisements for a real product, were named “Best of 2012.” You know what the developers are going to take away from that? They’re going to realize that they don’t even need to try anymore — that they can just take their old 8th grade CompSci projects, update the graphics with crap out of their recycling bins, and STILL get an average Kongregate score of 4.0 or higher.

So don’t give me that “Let’s see you do any better” B.S. If the best you can come up with to defend a game is to say that it’s better than something produced by someone who has zero experience in game developing, I consider that all the proof I need that the game genuinely is a true steaming pile of a game.

Flag Post

Another Terastas rant

I would like to know which are the 10 games that you consider the best games of 2012.

Flag Post

Another Terastas rant

I would like to know which are the 10 games that you consider the best games of 2012.

I was just about to post this same question but then I saw rester got there before me.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ivod:

Yes, that’s right, the fact that I couldn’t make a game of my own means I’m also incapable of recognizing when someone else can’t either. Imagine if George W. Bush had answered all the ridicule that he was an awful president by yelling “I’d like to see you do any better!”

No, I couldn’t make a decent game if I wanted to. But from the look of things, neither can Armor Games, Berzerk, Fazecat, or anyone else that Kongregate is way too quick to trust. The only difference between all of them and me? I have no delusions to the contrary.

No, I take it back. Looking at the list again, I think only half of them could have actually been delusional. The other half are laughing hysterically watching nimrods like ivod 5-star and favorite all this garbage that took them less than a day to slap together. Half the games on the list aren’t even the full games — they’re teasers for games you can buy for your smartphone, fundamentally not all that different from the slew of one-level-only games that comes free with your PS1.

And those games, which are literally nothing more than advertisements for a real product, were named “Best of 2012.” You know what the developers are going to take away from that? They’re going to realize that they don’t even need to try anymore — that they can just take their old 8th grade CompSci projects, update the graphics with crap out of their recycling bins, and STILL get an average Kongregate score of 4.0 or higher.

So don’t give me that “Let’s see you do any better” B.S. If the best you can come up with to defend a game is to say that it’s better than something produced by someone who has zero experience in game developing, I consider that all the proof I need that the game genuinely is a true steaming pile of a game.

Alright, so you’re not just a grumpy old man who rates everything down but you got the ability to think and reason… that’s cute.

I’m not a fan of all games here, but I know that they’re just for simple fun. If I want better games, I just buy them on steam. But these free games are free. Besides, the best of 2012 games are each of OK quality, don’t have bugs, and are user friendly. Don’t want to get the badges/finish the game? Sure, but they can nice to play for a couple of minutes if you’re bored.