Forums Kongregate

PETITION: stop badging MMOs where you have to wait page 4

119 posts

Flag Post

Game plays are a horrible way to determine how popular a game is. Namely because energy based games force people to come back to the game numerous times every day. You could play Learn To Fly 2 for an hour in one day, but only give it one play. You could play for 30 minutes on Dawn of the Dragons and give it 10-15 plays.

Kongregate did make a positive change recently where refreshing a game shortly after originally opening (forget the exact amount of time) doesn’t give the name another play. But there are numerous games that benefited drastically from the old system.

Flag Post

While I may be wrong, and probably have some misconceptions about the popularity of games, in my previous post I believed Dawn of the Dragons was one of the most popular games on Kong not because of the total game play counts, but rather how many chat rooms were available, and the head counts in each of them for it to determine how many users online were playing it. Some of the rooms are empty, but I can usually find around a thousand or more people playing it whenever I check. While there are many un-roomed games that may be more popular, Dawns fan base seems rather large. But yes, I agree Fricknmaniac, game plays are not the best method of determining popularity.

Flag Post

and to added, I hate to say, DotD is not a pay to win. Premium equipment can get you to an extent.
Most of the content is free, and you even get the premium currency quite easy.
Also, buying your way with pots its even stupid. Pots are made to auto-level in World Raids, not to make damage.
All the advanced players are not there beacuse they paid for it, they are there beacuse they have been playing longer.
In DotD you dont become stronger with money, you become stronger with time.

Flag Post

As I read more of the things regarding waiting for energy, it makes me feel as though people are just sitting on the game screen, constantly. Just go do something else, play another game, read a book, go outside. The game ultimately doesn’t take up more time than any other, the segments are just spread out. Personally? I find it convenient. Come, put my 15 minutes in and leave.

That’s waaayyy better than some games *coughcough*Mardek*coughcough* where I put over 70 hours, and still didn’t feel like I was accomplishing anything. Give me more energy based MMOs over another Mardek game.

But ultimately, it doesn’t matter if the game itself is pay to play or pay to win, all of the badges can be earned with all the free content. The point of badges is to allow for someone for everyone, and maybe force people out of their comfort zone with genres to find something else they like. If you don’t like it, don’t play it. Simple as that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Natamora:

As I read more of the things regarding waiting for energy, it makes me feel as though people are just sitting on the game screen, constantly. Just go do something else, play another game, read a book, go outside. The game ultimately doesn’t take up more time than any other, the segments are just spread out. Personally? I find it convenient. Come, put my 15 minutes in and leave.

Part of the reason why there is so much hate is because this is almost the opposite of how Kong is structured and how most people here on Kong play. Just saying.

Flag Post

I don’t think most people come here saying they will spend a certain amount of time playing a game, but instead come, play games and switch around until they’re bored and leave.

But if people are coming to say ‘I have x amount of time and only want to play one game’ then, well, I think they’re weird. I guess I don’t quite get why spending 15 minutes on one game makes how anyone plays on Kong differently. I definitely spend 5 – 10 minutes on some games, then find something either on Kong or off Kong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

Bobby, badges are meant to be earned. If it takes a month to earn them, that’s going a bit too far. That’s a valid enough reason, if people are demanding them.

I’ve spent well over a month on dozens of badges, very few of which have been MMOs. The length of time required to earn a badge does not preclude someone from earning a badge. If that was the case, then Balloon Invasion and half the TDs on Kong shouldn’t have hard/impossible badges, either.

I honestly do not see how you’ve spent a month on some badges. =/

Even the Monster’s Den Endurance Style Impossible did not take that long, at least for me. Most of the TDs on Kong can be beaten within 2-3 hours (exception with Gemcraft, maybe). How did it take you a month…?

Flag Post

Monster’s Den impossible went pretty darn fast, really. After the first 15 floors or so you were basically skipping half of all the subsequent ones because stuff didn’t scale right.

Flag Post

In regards to DotD, I find it hard to believe that it really will take months like everyone says. I started the game on the 5th and, without spending any money, only need 854,79,726 more. That rate is constantly increasing as I level, so I should get it before the month is over.

As for Legacy of a Thousand Suns which I will be the first to say is the same exact game, the badge took me less than a week, and I never spent money on it. I’m not saying I like these games, in fact I really dislike them. I’m just saying that they are very possible without spending money. Obviously Kongregate is doing this to encourage us to spend money, but they aren’t actually being dicks about it. You can get them all without spending money.

As an aside, any MMO can be beaten with a little help from my friends

Flag Post

DotD really isn’t difficult at all. It took me a week between getting the easy and medium back when those were released (didn’t touch any raids back then, so I had no progress towards the hard badge), and stopped at level 30, and then in the past 6 days I’ve gotten over half way through the necessary raid damage, and I really haven’t been doing much these past few days, so it’s really a two-week hard badge if played properly (like essentially every multiplayer game out there with a hard badge).

I have no problem with these kinds of games getting badges, since they’re some of the easiest hard badges out there. They require zero skill, and just a little bit of patience, so it helps to balance the load between having quicker, skill badges badges that can be played while waiting for energy to reload in these ones.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 123aaa789:

DotD really isn’t difficult at all. It took me a week between getting the easy and medium back when those were released (didn’t touch any raids back then, so I had no progress towards the hard badge)

It took you a week? I find that hard to believe unless you didn’t play that often because it only took me a few hours. I got the first one on the 9th and second on the 10th.

Flag Post

My biggest complaint about the DotD hard badge is that 100 mil raid damage doesn’t mean anything. It’s not anything special or really an accomplishment. It’s only there to get you to play the game for an arbitrary amount of time.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dever:

My biggest complaint about the DotD hard badge is that 100 mil raid damage doesn’t mean anything. It’s not anything special or really an accomplishment. It’s only there to get you to play the game for an arbitrary amount of time.

True. But it tempts you to spend money to make it faster. That’s the point.

Flag Post

I agree, every once in a while one of these pops up for a daily or as part of a quest and it annoys me to no end.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Natamora:

That’s waaayyy better than some games *coughcough*Mardek*coughcough* where I put over 70 hours, and still didn’t feel like I was accomplishing anything. Give me more energy based MMOs over another Mardek game.

So you’d rather have badges that require minimal effort and skill. Not that I disagree, but it kind of ruins the “hard” in hard badges.

For DotD, I’m not sure how you would play for 15 minutes each session. It should only take a few minutes tops to spend all your energy. For me, I think it took about 30-40 sessions over 2-3 days to get the new hard badge (when I already had the earlier ones). That’s starting up a game to play for a few minutes about 10+ times per day. That gets very annoying. Not to mention the game kicks you out for idling.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 123aaa789:

DotD really isn’t difficult at all. It took me a week between getting the easy and medium back when those were released (didn’t touch any raids back then, so I had no progress towards the hard badge), and stopped at level 30, and then in the past 6 days I’ve gotten over half way through the necessary raid damage, and I really haven’t been doing much these past few days, so it’s really a two-week hard badge if played properly (like essentially every multiplayer game out there with a hard badge).

I have no problem with these kinds of games getting badges, since they’re some of the easiest hard badges out there. They require zero skill, and just a little bit of patience, so it helps to balance the load between having quicker, skill badges badges that can be played while waiting for energy to reload in these ones.

The problem isn’t that they’re easy. The problem is that they’re BORING. They’re boring, grindy badges that waste your time that you could have spent discovering another GOOD game. I used to be able to rely on badges to guide me to games that I would enjoy. Now I have to be wary to stumbling into a grindfest behind a badge, because nigh every crappy MMO gets a badge nowadays.

Flag Post
For DotD, I’m not sure how you would play for 15 minutes each session. It should only take a few minutes tops to spend all your energy.

I remember during LOTS, most of the time I was on it was waiting for their terrible server to acknowledge commands or show me loot. Cashgrab MMOs have almost uniformly terrible latency, and DOTD/LOTS both bloated it with some of the most idiotic and needlessly wasteful bookkeeping on mouseover tooltips I’ve ever seen in my life.

To aspiring MMO programmers, tooltips are not a server-side operation. If you have to ping a server every time you mouseover any object in the game, you’re doing it wrong.

Flag Post

Finished DotD, finally.

Anyways, my advice would be to join a guild and use up those honors. Do raids with good buffs put up. Get the mystery pack as soon as you can to get +200ATT/DEF gears easily, assuming that you’re not saving up for something to continue playing long-term.

Flag Post

If anyone needs a good example of a MMO badge, go look at Wartune.

It only has 1 badge which can be gotten within a few hours (its getting to level 20 btw). By level 20, you should have a good understanding of what the game is like, and can decide to play it more.

Compare this to games like Time Worlds or Dawn of the Dragons, which have badges that require days of playing.

I think that MMO games should only get 1 badge that is there so people try out the game. Having people to 100,000,000 damage for a badge is stupid and serves only to rob impatient people of their kreds.

Flag Post

Also, arbitrarily badging awful boring and buggy MMOs like clash of ninjas really doesn’t make me like Kongregate any more. I came here from newgrounds four years ago because of the curated badges and great community. The community around MMOs tend to be quite frankly quite awful mixes of 12 year olds and the socially inept, and the badges point towards the MMOs. Why.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ExemplaryReturns:

It only has 1 badge which can be gotten within a few hours (its getting to level 20 btw). By level 20, you should have a good understanding of what the game is like, and can decide to play it more.

Compare this to games like Time Worlds or Dawn of the Dragons, which have badges that require days of playing.

I think that MMO games should only get 1 badge that is there so people try out the game. Having people to 100,000,000 damage for a badge is stupid and serves only to rob impatient people of their kreds.

I agree with you here. I personally didn’t like Wartune all too much, but by the time I realized that I didn’t like it I already had the badge. Now if I did like it, that would have been the point where I would have decided to keep playing.

But there is a simple reason why Kong doesn’t badge all MMO’s like that. Because if they make the hard badge late in the game, then they are getting money from people who like the game AND money from people who hate it, but just pay to get the badge right away. Then they can afford to make badges like the Wartune medium to even it out and say “Hey guys, we’re still reasonable!”

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ericzander:

For example 50 kreds will get you 36 in-game coins. 36/50~72 cents. So it’s 72 cents a coin. However you can spend 2000 kreds (like a nub) for 1740 in-game coins. 1740/2000~87 cents. Therefore, if you buy the small amount you spend 72 per coin. If you buy the large amount you are spending 87 per coin. So it would be a better deal to just buy a ton of the smaller amounts. Well, the best deal would be to not spend anything but still.

You fail at maths. Bad.

Assuming 50Kreds = 5 USD and assuming all your Kreds are bought in 50Kreds packs, you pay ~13.9 Cent per ingame coin if you buy the 36 coins pack and ~11.5 Cent per ingame coin if you buy the 1740 coins pack.

You calculated how man ingame coins you get for 1 Kred. So there 0.72 is a worse ratio than 0.87.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Thyrael:

You fail at maths. Bad.

Assuming 50Kreds = 5 USD and assuming all your Kreds are bought in 50Kreds packs, you pay ~13.9 Cent per ingame coin if you buy the 36 coins pack and ~11.5 Cent per ingame coin if you buy the 1740 coins pack.

You calculated how man ingame coins you get for 1 Kred. So there 0.72 is a worse ratio than 0.87.

………..

I AM AN IDIOT!

Flag Post

lol, no worries, we all have our “blonde moments” ^^

Flag Post
Originally posted by ExemplaryReturns:

Very much this.