Forums Kongregate

Kongregate launches $10 million mobile publishing fund for indies

55 posts

Flag Post

More Kong games for mobile are coming:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185958/Kongregate_launches_10M_game_fund_alongside_its_own_mobile_division.php#.UQ_Nmlpxc8s

http://developers.kongregate.com/mobile

Flag Post

That’s quite a lot of money.

Flag Post

You know, I was literally just looking at my Kong mobile app just yesterday for new games to play.

I’d like to think I had something to do with this.

Flag Post
As part of the announcement, Kongregate also revealed that it has hired Panayoti Haritatos, formerly Zynga’s general manager, as vice president of its new mobile division.

Oh boy.

Flag Post
Originally posted by louster:
As part of the announcement, Kongregate also revealed that it has hired Panayoti Haritatos, formerly Zynga’s general manager, as vice president of its new mobile division.

Oh boy.

If Kongregate falls on their level, shit gonna get serious.

Flag Post
Originally posted by louster:

Oh boy.

Our first title is Kongfarm Mobile Xtreme. To advance beyond level 1, run up to 100 people and beat them violently round the head with your smartphone while repeatedly asking them to feed your goat.

Flag Post

It’s certainly good to see that Kong tries to get a foot into the booming mobile gaming market again.

Online game portal Kongregate and its parent company GameStop today announced a new $10 million initiative to help fund up-and-coming free-to-play mobile game developers, while also launching its own mobile games division.

Sounds good, as long as you aren’t aiming for Zynga-style games, having hired its former General Manager. But then, he made Bloody Funday, so he knows how to make good games too ;)

Good luck with the mobile gaming project, hope it will be successful.

Flag Post

This is an exciting moment in Kongregate history. I wonder if Kong will be getting new admins to cope with the new mobile division, though I’m guessing not too soon since there aren’t any new openings on the Jobs page.
I have faith that Zynga’s general manager will bring success to future mobile Kongregate games. Zynga makes good games, it’s when Facebook gets involved that those games turn into MMOs that rapidly try to reel in money. I trust Kongregate won’t be as greedy, if that’s the right word to describe Faicbook.

Flag Post

shoulda rather used it to make REAL games

Flag Post

Hey guys – the guy we hired from Zynga is the founder of Urbansquall – who made Battalion Nemesis, Bloody Fun Day, etc. He’s much more of a Kongregate kind of guy. His studio got bought by Zynga but he really wanted to come here.

Flag Post

I am very interested! Right now, the “Contact Us” button isn’t working on the Mobile Developers page, but I will try to get in touch with you guys as soon as possible.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Moshdef:

I am very interested! Right now, the “Contact Us” button isn’t working on the Mobile Developers page, but I will try to get in touch with you guys as soon as possible.

Hmm, that’s funny. What browser are you using? It’s just a mail link that sends to mobile@kongregate.com, so you can use email instead…

Flag Post

I’m using Chrome, and it just opens up a new blank tab called “untitled”. (when I click the link above, the page is also blank).

This is really exciting news! I was discouraged when the mobile section began to shut down shortly after I started uploading there, but this is great! I bet this will get our mobile community really booming.

Flag Post

I’m using Chrome, and it just opens up a new blank tab called “untitled”.

Ok, I’ll whisper you for more info…

Flag Post

Interesting.

Flag Post

This is great news. Too bad I don’t have a phone capable of playing these games.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BadgeHuntersAnon:

This is great news. Too bad I don’t have a phone capable of playing these games.

Same here.

Anyways, awesome news, I can’t wait to see what happens.

Flag Post

It doesn’t appear to be mentioned anywhere, so is Kongregate looking for ideas to fund or existing games/prototypes/studios/etc to fund? (The Mochi fund is the pitch an idea, so I just wanted to clarify this.)

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

It doesn’t appear to be mentioned anywhere, so is Kongregate looking for ideas to fund or existing games/prototypes/studios/etc to fund? (The Mochi fund is the pitch an idea, so I just wanted to clarify this.)

Currently we’re only looking at games with a playable prototype (or more)…

Flag Post

I’m using Chrome, and it just opens up a new blank tab called “untitled”. (when I click the link above, the page is also blank).

This should be fixed now, thanks for letting us know.

Flag Post

Okay so let me get this right.. Kongregate is now hosting mobile games and supporting developers? So this is straying away from mobile flash games and more into apps? Are there going to be badges associated with these games?

I guess I’m just confuzzled :/

Flag Post

well good luck, hope it works out!

Flag Post

Yeah, didn’t you just disable the ability to upload mobile games, and are now investing a significant amount into that market? If you’re getting back into this market, I sure hope there’s a chance to revive mobile badges.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BadgeHuntersAnon:

Ditto.

Flag Post

This is awesome. Glad to see Kongregate stepping into the competitive mobile sector of gaming. Can’t wait to (hopefully) see some quality games available for mobile released by Kong. Wish Kong the best and hope for their success!