Forums Kongregate

Kongregate launches $10 million mobile publishing fund for indies page 2

55 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by DarkRainyKnight:
Originally posted by BadgeHuntersAnon:

This is great news. Too bad I don’t have a phone capable of playing these games.

Ditto.

Maybe. Mozilla is (currently?) working on a Javascript “Flash Player” called Shumway. So if your phone’s browser can handle HTML5, then there might be some hope in the near future. Here is a demo.

Flag Post

Nice news, should be interesting to see where this goes.

Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

This is great news. Too bad I don’t have a phone capable of playing these games.

Ditto.

Maybe. Mozilla is (currently?) working on a Javascript “Flash Player” called Shumway. So if your phone’s browser can handle HTML5, then there might be some hope in the near future. Here is a demo.

I think he’s saying that he doesn’t have a smartphone. Not everyone can afford $70+ per month phone bills!

Also – yes it’s still in development. In fact, anyone can contribute to it: https://github.com/mozilla/shumway/tree/master/src/avm2

Flag Post

I do have a smartphone. It’s an iPhone and doesn’t handle flash well. I managed to get the chat working and some point and click games in the puffin browser, but that’s all, an it was a trial.

Flag Post

I do have a smartphone. It’s an iPhone and doesn’t handle flash well. I managed to get the chat working and some point and click games in the puffin browser, but that’s all, an it was a trial.

Ah. These new mobile games Kong is working on sponsoring won’t be flash games almost definitely. I’d expect they’d be native games

Flag Post

Oh. I meant I haz no smarty-pants phone.

Flag Post

Oh. I meant I haz no smarty-pants phone.

I don’t either (and I don’t particularly want one), but when my current phone (which is nearly 3 years old) finally dies, I guess I’ll have no choice.

Flag Post

That’s amazing!
I’m still trying to comprehend how much $10 million actually is… whoah. o_o

Flag Post

Sounds awesome! I was surprised when Kongregate seemed to be pulling off the Android Market completely, as the smartphone business seems to be quite successful.

I’m guessing that these games won’t be using flash, as HTML5 won the battle against adobe, and adobe has pulled off the Android Market. And iPhones aren’t exactly flash compatible. I’d be guessing that it’d be more like the \escape/ game. Except hopefully free. ;)

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheIcyHeart:

Sounds awesome! I was surprised when Kongregate seemed to be pulling off the Android Market completely, as the smartphone business seems to be quite successful.

I’m guessing that these games won’t be using flash, as HTML5 one the battle against adobe, and adobe has pulled off the Android Market. And iPhones aren’t exactly flash compatible. I’d be guessing that it’d be more like the \escape/ game. Except hopefully free. ;)

^

I’m interested, and will definitely be checking out the Kong Mobile sector.

Flag Post

This is pretty hilarious. A Flash interpreter written in an interpreted language. That demo averages 60% CPU usage on a Core 2 Duo. The original Flash version averages 15%.

Flag Post
Originally posted by VforVendetta:

That’s amazing!

This much.
This much. :3

Flag Post
Originally posted by zAlbee:

This is pretty hilarious. A Flash interpreter written in an interpreted language. That demo averages 60% CPU usage on a Core 2 Duo. The original Flash version averages 15%.

And if you wrote the same thing using stage3D you could probably bring CPU usage down to about 2-3%. I’m not saying its great, but there definitely is hope for something like this. And since Javascript is constantly getting speed boosts by your browsers (competition) it might one day surpass AS3’s speed.

Flag Post

His studio got bought by Zynga but he really wanted to come here.

Don’t lie. We all know you bribed him.

Flag Post
Originally posted by eProdigy:

That’s amazing!

This much.

I’ll love you 5ever for one stack.

Flag Post
Originally posted by eProdigy:

That’s amazing!

This much.

It’s… beautiful. :’)
Go Kongregate! (and thanks for the 50 kreds <3)

Flag Post

Hello, Author, How to particapate?, Please share .

Flag Post

I hate bumping but, GREE Partners Fund just launched a $10 million fund for mobile designs. However, looks like they are investing in the studio rather than individual games.

EDIT That would be a win if it was GREER Partners Fund. :D

Flag Post

I realize that this fund is basically an incubator for mobile game start-ups, which is totally wickedly awesome. But there are some really insanely good games out there already that would do really well on Kongregate:

• Jetpack Joyride by Halfbrick Studios – a really fun launcher-type game. It’s similar to Burrito in that you have missions, but there’s hundreds of different missions for you to do. You level up 30 times before you “roll over” and the level names repeat, but there’s a great mix of mission types. As you get to higher levels, the difficulty scales accordingly (a mission that would be 3 stars at the beginning is now 2 or 1 star). There’s a tonne of customizable stuff you can get, such as outfits, gadgets and jet packs. There is the option to buy coins, but it’s definitely not a required part of the game (a friend of mine has the app as well and he didnt even know there was premium content until I mentioned it).

• Flow Free by Big Duck Games – similar to another game on here. It’s a puzzle game where you have to connect the coloured lines up without crossing paths. It’s really fun and addictive with tonnes of free and premium puzzle packs. There’s premium content in the form of purchasing more hints (you start with 5).

• Flow Free Bridges by Big Duck Games – same thing, except this has “bridges” added into the mix. This allows paths to cross over and under each other, adding another layer of complexity.

Like I said, I know you guys are looking to help new developers, but I think these games will do really, really well. They’ve all received rave reviews in the App Store and all have premium in-game content but are not shoving it in the user’s face.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jimgreer:

Hey guys – the guy we hired from Zynga is the founder of Urbansquall – who made Battalion Nemesis, Bloody Fun Day, etc. He’s much more of a Kongregate kind of guy. His studio got bought by Zynga but he really wanted to come here.

Woot! I am looking forward to this, then!

Flag Post

When is kongregate for Ios coming?

Flag Post
Originally posted by julesofwar:

When is kongregate for Ios coming?

I imagine when iOS supports Flash (never) or a significant portion of games aren’t Flash-based (which won’t happen any time soon).

Flag Post

Has the Kongregate team thought about developing a Kongregate app for the upcoming OUYA gaming console, it’s powered by android so it could possible to expand or implement the Kongregate Arcade app.

Flag Post

$10 000 000? How much money should I give you? Up to $[how much I feel like].

Flag Post

Just thought about this mobile publishing fund thingy that Jim posted about a while ago and was curious if there are news about it. Sadly, as usually nowadays, no admin posted here, buuut, there are indeed some news about it on other sites:

SAN FRANCISCO—(BUSINESS WIRE)—

Kongregate, a wholly-owned subsidiary of GameStop Corp (GME), is revealing the first mobile games set to be published under the $10 million fund announced earlier this year. The five launch titles are Tyrant: Unleashed from Synapse Games, BloodRealm from co-developers RedPoint Labs and Making Fun, Sheep Happens from Lingplay, Endless Boss Fight from White Milk Games, and Cardinal Quest 2 from Randomnine Ltd. Tyrant is the first title set for release in July with the other games coming later this summer.

Kongregate is focusing its publishing efforts primarily on mid- and hard-core titles by drawing heavily on its successful history of monetizing similar games online. “Our past experience is invaluable and allows us to generate recommendations based on detailed analysis of similar titles,” said Pany Haritatos, VP of Mobile for Kongregate. “Kongregate works with developers of all game genres from CCG to MMO and RPG titles. We have micro level insights into successful game mechanics that can make a huge difference in monetization and retention. Applying that level of expertise to a mobile launch is essential to launching a successful game.”

Tyrant: Unleashed from Synapse Games is a collectible card game featuring cooperative and competitive guild play. Its sister game Tyrant boasts nearly 50 million gameplays on Kongregate’s online game platform. Said Alex Reeve, founder and CEO of Synapse Games, “Kongregate Mobile’s experience with the mechanics and polish behind both monetization and engagement have been invaluable in helping to shape the direction of our game. They have done a phenomenal job in guiding us without infringing on our team’s core design philosophy.”

Kongregate’s other launch titles include the action titles Endless Boss Fight and Sheep Happens, the collectible card game Blood Realm, and the RPG Cardinal Quest 2. All titles will be free to play and will offer in app purchases.

Kongregate’s reach is a major point of differentiation from other mobile publishers. Each title will reach tens of millions of monthly visitors across Kongregate & GameStop online properties, 24 million GameStop PowerUp Reward Members, and millions of more customers in GameStop’s 4,500 retail outlets in the U.S.

Additional titles are in development and will be announced later this year.

For additional information on Kongregate’s mobile publishing platform, please contact mobile@kongregate.com

Source.

Flag Post

Tyrant is the first title set for release in July with the other games coming later this summer.

Woah, this is a great piece of news for me! I can’t wait