Forums Kongregate

Backyard Monsters

25 posts

Flag Post

I don’t know why and want an explanation why they’re closing Backyard Monsters. It’s one of the funnest games I’ve ever played. Every night I get on and I’ve seen hundreds of people saying the same thing “It’s a good game but why are they closing it?”. I want Backyard Monsters to be on just a few more moths, if not years. They’re probably closing it down for being old, but one question is, Just because a game is old does that mean it’s no fun? My friend has been playing it for years, and he’s on the same stand I’m on. I’m sorry it’s closing down, and I know many people don’t want it to, but I’m sorry for the poor fellow who has to do it. If you feel the same way please reply.

Flag Post

You’d be better off asking the developer why he’s shutting it down on Kongregate. Except the developer has never responded or updated the game on Kongregate, so that kind of answers your question there.

Just to be clear, they’re not shutting down the game completely, they’re shutting it down on Kongregate, and they’re offering to transfer any Kongregate accounts over to a Facebook account if requested.

edit: Here’s a link about what you get in the transfer. It’s apparently not much… so don’t get your hopes up.

Flag Post

They’re closing it down on Kongregate because they feel they can make more money running it solely on Facebook.

Or if you were to ask the developer, ’we’re closing down the Kongregate server so we can focus our energies on the more interesting and dynamic Facebook platform and continue to provide a wonderful standard of service and care to our customers.’

Flag Post

After looking around a bit more, this is what I think has happened:

1) Kixeye introduced a new update on Facebook only which introduced Map Room 3.
2) People hated the Map Room 3 update, so there was a mass exodus from Facebook to Kongregate where Kixeye hadn’t updated the game for an extremely long time and Map Room 2 was still in effect.
3) Kixeye didn’t like people playing an non-updated version of the game, so in an effort to draw people back to Facebook, they’re shutting down the game on Kongregate.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:

After looking around a bit more, this is what I think has happened:

1) Kixeye introduced a new update on Facebook only which introduced Map Room 3.
2) People hated the Map Room 3 update, so there was a mass exodus from Facebook to Kongregate where Kixeye hadn’t updated the game for an extremely long time and Map Room 2 was still in effect.
3) Kixeye didn’t like people playing an non-updated version of the game, so in an effort to draw people back to Facebook, they’re shutting down the game on Kongregate.

4) KIXEYE is a terrible dev. BYM is a terrible game, and the OP should consider this a blessing in disguise to quit playing the game.

The state of kong BYM has not changed since it was badged. For the full game, you always had to go to facebook. Anyone who has played on Kong should have known the risks they were taking.

Flag Post

It’s a good game but why are they closing it?

Are you by any chance planning on pursuing a role as a comedian in your career?

Flag Post

I’m not sure about that. The Kongregate version has had a lot of game-wrecking bugs. Kixeye kept promising a solution was coming soon. It appears that, instead of actually fixing the bugs, his solution is to shut down the game. Unless you think he introduced the bugs on purpose.

Originally posted by bobby71983:

4) KIXEYE is a terrible dev.

That point I completely agree with.

Flag Post

The Kongregate version has had a lot of game-wrecking bugs. Kixeye kept promising a solution was coming soon. It appears that, instead of actually fixing the bugs, his solution is to shut down the game.

This is what I believe is the major reason why BYM is getting drawed out of Kongregate

They didn’t fix the game breaking bugs *cough* infamous base 0 error *cough*. So what do they do? The easiest possible solution of course! They’re removing BYM from Kongregate so they don’t have to keep listening our whining. And what if the bugs were fixed? Would that stop the whining? Possibly. However, for some reason, those bugs were never fixed. I have a hunch that they were intended to be fixed but they didn’t due to lack of resources or pure laziness to maintain a game in multiple portals

And I conclude my post to this
+1 internet for you

Flag Post

This. Is. So. True.

I’d like this if there was a like button.

Flag Post

Just FYI:
http://www.gamegenuis.com/key/kixeye-wins-2013-top-pick-for-worst-company-of-2012/

Flag Post
Originally posted by NeilSenna:

They’re closing it down on Kongregate because they feel they can make more money running it solely on Facebook.

Or if you were to ask the developer, ’we’re closing down the Kongregate server so we can focus our energies on the more interesting and dynamic Facebook platform and continue to provide a wonderful standard of service and care to our customers.’

I’m just going to say this is all the answer you need.

Flag Post
Originally posted by IceWeaselX:

Just FYI:
http://www.gamegenuis.com/key/kixeye-wins-2013-top-pick-for-worst-company-of-2012/

Haha, nice. A well deserved title. Thanks for sharing the link ^^

Flag Post

I actually find kixeye a pretty nice dev.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jaskaran2000:

I actually find kixeye a pretty nice dev.

see:

Just FYI:

Flag Post

Just because some stupid site chooses that does not make it correct.

Flag Post

It’s not really about the site giving the “award,” since any site can make up arbitrary awards (a practice common among amateur webmasters of the ‘90s). The site’s administration is into consumer advocacy in the online gaming industry. Read the pages on that site dedicated to KIXEYE’s practices and mass complaints. They’ve cited numerous publicly available sources, and provide several methods for KIXEYE’s customers to contact KIXEYE with confirmation (since the typical support route does not provide receipt-of-communication confirmation).

Flag Post

There is also no such thing as a 100% approval rating. Does that mean every dev is bad since none have 100% support?

Flag Post

Facebook is dying. I use it only for Empires & Allies (which is Zynga’s only enjoyable game) and messaging friends. Facebook is no longer a social platform because timeline is horribly unmanageable and it’s not a gaming platform because the games aren’t full scale and demanding.

Kixeye should have continued it’s wonderful CC website, which was beautifully presented, had a skill-o-meter which gave an average based on all games, and a level up system. If the CC had been enhanced with a new focused direction, neither Kongregate or Newgrounds would have as much long term attention as it has now because Minions 2 would be made, new DTDs and yes… maybe even a farragomate 2.

Flag Post

There is also no such thing as a 100% approval rating. Does that mean every dev is bad since none have 100% support?

Yes.

Flag Post

“Kixeye spent 2012 with a C+ rating on the Better Business Bureau website with over 222 gamers filing complaints after failing to receive the needed resolution and assistance via Kixeye’s own support page”

Yeah right because the Better Business Bureau are just a bunch of snobs who spend all of their time picking on really good devs right? I’ll tell you this, in the real world NEVER invest anything in an organization that isn’t highly rated by the bbb. Or you know, do whatever. All I’m saying is that everyone who ever invested in BYM was screwed and really, Kixeye don’t give a damn. Why should they? They reaped all of the money they could and they will continue to do so on Facebook.

The most hilarious part is that, in an effort to “STAPH KIXEIE FRUM DELETIN BYM!!1” several people, and I mean a LOT of several people, actually spent a ton more money because “IF U GIV DEM MOAR MONEY DEN THY WUNT END BYM!!!1” Yeah, right like those kids’ parent’s don’t care that they’re spending money for this dreck… But I think I summed it up nicely in my in-game comment:

“Moral of the story? Don’t spend your parent’s hard earned money on an online flash game. You will get burned for every single time you spend money on a flash MMO ANYWHERE. Some of you need to learn the value of money and if you are one of the little crybabies whining about how “I SPENDED 200$ ON DIS GAEM! DUN TAEK IT DOWN!!1” then it’s your own fault for spending so much money on something like this, especially if it’s not even updated. Kixeye never cared about any of you, they actually care about the money in your parent’s wallets. So for those of you who still “LUV DIS GAME” go ahead and play it on Facebook and spend some more money on it. For those who have learned their lesson, sorry that’s life."

Flag Post

The BBB is a joke anyway. They’re just like Yelp that they’ll give you a good grade as long as you’re paying them. But as soon as stop paying them, your grade drops.

Of course you didn’t continue that quote talking about how Kixeye magically went to an A+ rating with the BBB.

Flag Post

The BBB is a joke anyway. They’re just like Yelp that they’ll give you a good grade as long as you’re paying them. But as soon as stop paying them, your grade drops.

Of course you didn’t continue that quote talking about how Kixeye magically went to an A+ rating with the BBB.

That I did not, and I probably should have anyway. The point remains though, 222 people filed complaints to no avail and Kixeye still shows that they don’t care. They didn’t update and when they did it had game-breaking bugs that they refused to fix. And they won’t compensate those who paid money nearly as much as they should. They feel they don’t have to because people will buy stuff from them anyway, which makes sense. It’s still kinda fishy.

Flag Post

And they won’t compensate those who paid money nearly as much as they should.

They don’t have to compensate anyone anything. The fact that they are doing anything at all to compensate should be seen as a positive.

The point remains though, 222 people filed complaints to no avail and Kixeye still shows that they don’t care. They didn’t update and when they did it had game-breaking bugs that they refused to fix.

They should have at least tried to fix the bugs. But the version of BYM on Kongregate is an inferior version to the one on Facebook. It’s like complaining that sites won’t fix bugs associated with you browsing their site on IE6.

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

They don’t have to compensate anyone anything. The fact that they are doing anything at all to compensate should be seen as a positive.

Your right, they don’t need to do anything. I’m just saying that it may have contributed to the rage that it is getting. A business that doesn’t really care about its consumers. I’m not blaming Kixeye, if I was a corporation I couldn’t honestly say I wouldn’t do the same.

Originally posted by racefan12:

They should have at least tried to fix the bugs. But the version of BYM on Kongregate is an inferior version to the one on Facebook. It’s like complaining that sites won’t fix bugs associated with you browsing their site on IE6.

I agree with you. They should have tried to fix the bugs. And for all we know they DID try, they just never got their act together and figured it out. From what I hear, the Facebook version had all sorts of problems with the map room 3 upgrade, so a bunch of people went to Kongregate to play, even with the map room 2 upgrade. Or something or whatever. It’s not really like complaining that sites won’t fix bugs associated with you browsing their site on IE6, because the Facebook one STILL has problems that they have not fixed yet (from my understanding).

Flag Post

Just FYI:

Looks like KIXEYE threatened to sue the people who created that site or something, because they went ahead and deleted it. Maybe WaybackMachine will help on this…

Just thought I’d go ahead and share it. Also because I just have to necrobump this thread