Forums Kongregate

Synecdoche, Kongregate [Tournament] Fin. Winner is BestMte

1498 posts

Flag Post

Everything is more complicated than you think. You only see a tenth of what is true. There are a million little strings attached to every choice you make; you can destroy your life every time you choose. But maybe you won’t know for twenty years. And you may never ever trace it to its source. And you only get one chance to play it out. Just try and figure out your own divorce. And they say there is no fate, but there is: it’s what you create. And even though the world goes on for eons and eons, you are only here for a fraction of a fraction of a second. Most of your time is spent being dead or not yet born. But while alive, you wait in vain, wasting years, for a phone call or a letter or a look from someone or something to make it all right. And it never comes or it seems to but it doesn’t really. And so you spend your time in vague regret or vaguer hope that something good will come along. Something to make you feel connected, something to make you feel whole, something to make you feel loved. And the truth is I feel so angry, and the truth is I feel so fucking sad, and the truth is I’ve felt so fucking hurt for so fucking long and for just as long I’ve been pretending I’m OK, just to get along, just for, I don’t know why, maybe because no one wants to hear about my misery, because they have their own. Well, fuck everybody. Amen.
- Charlie Kaufman, Synecdoche, New York

Flag Post

Synecdoche, Kongregate

Welcome to Synecdoche, Kongregate: the 33rd Kongregate Gaming Tournament, hosted by LouWeed.
Like other tournaments, this competition will feature a series of games on Kongregate, chosen by me. In every round you will be asked to provide a specific proof of your in-game score. We'll proceed through various elimination stages until a winner is declared.
Unlike other tournaments, there will be a winning team, in addition to the usual winning individual. Another important point to note is that no-one will actually be permanently eliminated until the end of round 5 (with Round 6 being the final round). Instead, the 'eliminated' players will continue to compete & earn points in the Labyrinth.
Every tournament activity will take place in a single thread (this one, in fact). I'll link all the relevant info in this post.

Good luck everyone. If you have any questions you can PM me, or just ask someone in the spreadsheet chat and we can add it to the FAQ.

Flag Post

Rankings

Individual leaderboard at 11:30am GMT on the 2nd of March 2013: http://i.imgur.com/qHS4Faf.png
Individual leaderboard at 00:30am GMT on the 19th of March 2013: http://i.imgur.com/80YZNPn.png
Individual leaderboard at 00:01am GMT on the 25th of March 2013: http://i.imgur.com/HBMU6Q8.png
Individual leaderboard at 00:01am GMT on the 2nd of April 2013: http://i.imgur.com/8uLb458.png
Current Player Standings
Current Team Standings

Final Standings

1 BestMte
2 MaistlinRajere
3 Ben_B
4 Kragnir
5 ShawnerSSS
6 Precarious
7 SS_Seedlings
8= Green32
8= Benjie007
8= Cirpacha
11 Woon1957
12 Lebossle
13 ZeroCreativity
14 awein999
15 zAlbee
16 WiiPlayer113
17 SpaceMe
18 jh05013
19 JimmyCarlos
20 aturtledoesbite
21 Lighnat0r
22 Bluji
23 Ceasar
24 Jaskaran2000
25 travman301
26 AdeebNafees
27 hamuka
28 MyNameIsNothing
29 Ericzander
30 LethalMutiny
31 racefan12
32 dragonrider1234
33 miguelpiquet
34 Ratchet1999
35 AtinVexien
36 Nemiflora
37 TheRagingGamer
38 michael222
39 HolyLasagna
40 InitiateEntity
41 itsmeisa
42= archer9
42= minkymo
44= awes132
44= DannyTheDonk
44= Pulsaris
44= S_98
44= twistedcakez
49 T6salt
50 CowFriend

Flag Post

General Rules

This is a flash gaming forum competition; you will be asked to submit proof of your scores in a series of games. After the qualifying round, there will be 4 regular rounds, followed by a redemption round, followed by a final round. Each round will last one week.
The qualifying round (round 0) will feature 7 different games, with a variety of tesks to complete. You only need to complete one task to qualify, but by completing other tasks you can earn extra points for your team. You can continue to complete qualifying tasks all the way up to the end of the repemption round.
Rounds one through to four will all feature at least three games. Players will be ranked in each game and awarded points based on that rating. However, your total score for each round will not include your worst game score, which means that you can skip one game each round without affecting your score for that round (though it may affect your team’s score).
At the end of rounds 1 through 3, a certain number of the lowest-scoring players will not progress to the next round and will instead be sent to the Labyrinth.

The four highest scoring players from round 4 will automatically progress to the final round.
The Labyrinth will be run in this thread concurrently with rounds 2, 3 & 4. The first players in the labyrinth will be the lowest scoring players from round 1, who will be joined a week later by the lowest scoring players in round 2, and so on. There will be six rounds in the Labyrinth (two per week). Each round the most popular game will become a game in the redemption round.
The redemption round will follow round 4. All the players from the Labyrinth along with the lowest-scoring players from round 4 will compete in the six most popular games from the Labyrinth. The highest-scoring individual in each game will earn a spot in the finals. So there will likely be 10 finalists. However, the four confirmed finalists are also welcome to post scores in the redemption round, so if one of them does get the highest score in a redemption game, or if someone else scores the highest in more than one game, then there will be one less finalist.
The final round will feature five games, one of which is not actually a game on Kongregate. Each finalist is only required to post scores for four games.

In each round, you will be asked to submit a screenshot of a score that was obtained within the timeframe of the round.
This screenshot has to include:

• The requested in-game score
  • A matching score in today or weekly Kongregate highscore tab, heading included (please take 2 screenshots, one with the heading and another with your username, if it isn’t possible to see them together). Note that some games will not have Kong highscores, but they all have some kind of highscore table, and you will be required to post a screenshot of it. Details will be specified on a per-game basis
  • The green or yellow plug with your Kongregate nickname.
  • A fully visible gaming window, clean from any form of editing.

You are not allowed to cheat in any way, nor to publicly accuse or personally attack anyone in this thread.

You are encouraged to private message the host or the co-host if:

• You suspect another player of breaking a rule;
  • You found an exploitable glitch or you want to request a game change;
  • You want to suggest to use a particular game in the competition.

Flag Post

Winners, Teams, Prizes

So, as usual there’ll be one person who wins this tournament, and they’ll be whoever gets the most points in the final round. Pretty simple.
However, there will also be a winning team, which will be the team with the most points across all of the rounds. You do not have to compete in a team, it’s purely optional. But there’s not really any good reason not to. For those who do want to compete in the team competition, I’m leaving it up to you to form your own teams, with the following restrictions:

• Each player must qualify for the competition in the normal way (you know, by completing the qualifier)
  • There must be no more than 10 players in your team
  • Your team’s weight must not exceed 7. Your team’s weight is the total weight of the players in the team. To find out each player’s weight, consult this list. If a player is missing from the list, then their weight is 1. Note that this weight contains slightly out of date information, so I may make exceptions to this rule, on a case by case basis.

If you want to be in a team, but lack the motivation/social skills to get into a team yourself, just post in this thread that you want to be in a team. I’ll then put you in a team with other players who are in a similar situation at the end of the qualifier. Once you’ve got a team together, post the name of the team, and the players in the team, in this thread. Then your team can start earning points. Your team total will be the sum of the following:

• The total number of points scored by each team member in the qualifying round, up to a maximum of 500 points. Remember you can earn these points all the way up to the end of the redemption round.

• Rounds 1—4: for each game, the two team members who got the highest score will have those points contribute towards the team total. If more than two players from the same team played a particular game then only the top two scores count. If only one team member plays a game, then only that score counts.

• Labyrinth & Repemption Round: any points scored in the Labyrinth, or in the redemption round will count towards the team’s total.

• Final Round: scores in the final round will not count towards the team total.

• The music quiz.
  • I will also be keeping track of each player’s score, and the player with the highest score at the end of the tournament will receive a prize. Your total score will be the sum of your score from each round (including the qualifier, redemption, and also the final round), as well as any points from the Labyrinth.

All finalists (including the winner) will receive a small consolation prize in the form of a game.
    The winner will receive 30% of the total Kreds prize pool.
    The winning team will receive 60% of the total Kreds prize pool, which will be distributed evenly amongst the team.
    The player with the most total points will receive 10% of the total Kreds prize pool.
    The amount of Kreds in the prize pool is 1000.

Again, any questions you can PM me, or just ask someone in the spreadsheet chat and we can add it to the FAQ.

Flag Post

The Music Quiz

It’s been brought to my attention that the majority of Kong users have crap taste in music. Sad But True (did I mention the Black Album is crap?). Anyway, I love music probably more than computer games, so naturally I put together a playlist/soundtrack for this tournament while I was planning it. This playlist contains one song for every day, starting with the first day of round 1, and going until the day after the last day of the final round. That’s 43 songs, which is one better than the meaning of liff. Your job is to figure out what those songs are. PM me the name of the song, and the artist who recorded it, before I post the song in-thread. You can earn extra points for your team by completing the quiz, so work with your team to solve each clue. You get one point for every correct answer, and for every seven correct answers your total music quiz score is multiplied by + 1 (so seven right is X2, 14 right is X3 etc). You also get 100 bonus points for getting all 43 songs correct, so there’s a total of 401 team points available. Here’s the clues (the letters following each clue indicate the length & number of words in the title of the song):
1 “And now,” cried Max, “let the wild ______ start!” (6)
2 The moment to act (4,2,7)
3 In a face drier’s last album (2,3,7)
4 http://i.imgur.com/Ntb5hp6.png (3,6,2,4,3,5)
5 JFK and Stalin became strippers for the want of this (6,5)
6 American state, once part of the USSR (7)
7 Good luck initially, in theory (3,5)
8 Sweat like a Blood, need every second (4,5)
9 Do the twist in yr washing machine? (5,6,5)
10 You just lost it (3,4)
11 Bloody mini! (3,5)
12 Close link or a fine line (9)
13 In choppa per plan established (5,6)
14 http://i.imgur.com/Mxg7wjQ.png (5,7,4)
15 Not “it” e.g, backwards (3,2,2)
16 Forever dig in a realm, sing no originals (5,8)
17 When Frylock’s hurting he’s doing this (6,9)
18 They invaded cinemas in 1956 & 1978 (13)
19 E.g. the 31st of wonder (4,3,2,5)
20 We are long lost standing leaders (5)
21 Blop a yod (3,2,5)
22 He will shortly rearrange clue, without money inside (4,5,4)
23 Other examples are: Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Motörhead (3,3,2,1,4)
24 The extraterrestrial mountain Ter (7)
25 http://i.imgur.com/OvbkK7M.png (7,2,7)
26 Hearts of hate swop dull Odin away into Esky in? Why (4,5,1,4,3)
27 No. 3’s penultimate track (6,2,9,6,9)
28 From Procyonpi to SuperMortalEnemy (3,2,7)
29 Heads of astral nest going everywhere, loving sentinels (6)
30 Quitting before the race begins (6,2,3,3)
31 http://i.imgur.com/R3xXZCI.png (7,4,8)
32 backflow enjoy me (4,4,2)
33 The lad’s swill, troll decapitated (5,4,4)
34 Where the GrassIsGreener (3,9)
35 Interesting chinese curse turned marvelous (4,2,9,5)
36 http://i.imgur.com/UympwRL.png (6,5)
37 (y+1)/4 – 291 (3)
38 http://i.imgur.com/XntRFkP.png (2,5,2)
39 Overseeing e.g. Belerophon or Osiris (8,3,7)
40 They defeated the titans (9)
41 http://i.imgur.com/ZRQyiTx.png (2,4,2)
42 What would have happened if H had told a funny joke (2,5,4,7)
43 They invaded the state of Perth? On the contrary. (3,3)

Some useful info about the songs that may or may not help you:
One person provides vocals on 3 tracks
All songs bar 2 were originally released on LPs/EPs that have their own wikipedia page, and the other 2 songs have their own wikipedia page
One song is not on youtube (this is currently incorrect as a video was uploaded after I compiled this list sometime in early January)
All songs were released in 2006 or later
No artist is featured more than twice
Neither Rage Against the Machine, nor Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds are featured
Additional artists who feature on some tracks include Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj, Big Boi and P.O.R.N.

I’ve made an alphabetical list of the artists who recorded the songs, but sadly the letters of each artist got mixed up:
Conceive Lit Llama
A Face Drier
Mickey’s Carton
A Sake Anal Biz
Ceb K.
Bland Boy
Nom Com
The Red Rune
Fun Buttocks
Damn Ringer
An Enema Jello
Odd Spain Jar
Sweaty Ken
A Koran in the D-desk
Cuddly Snot Mess
Swell Street
Tmmg
I Am
Fed’s M.O.
Sum E
Online Guy
An Ego
A Leo Aid Annoys
Pay Her, VJ
Death Is Pro
I Had A Redo
Liam Fen’s Plight
Hell’s Kit
Those Rot
Ex-THX
Atom’s Wit
Vote On Rad Hit
Naked Reeve Wimp
Aye Aye! Hah! Yesh…
Ucky

Oh, and one of the songs is technically not a song since it doesn’t feature any vocals. Good luck!

Flag Post

Qualifier: Badge Suggestions!

To compete in this tournament, you need to complete at least one qualifying task. Fourtunately, there will be a lot of them. I will post one game per day, at about 8am GMT, or midnight Kong time. Each game will have at least one task that you can complete to earn a place in this tournament, and some of them are really very easy, so you should have no probs. Because the qualifying round tasks are supposed to be badges, I have also decided to award them retroactively. Essentially this means that for games with high scores, all you have to do is provide proof that you completed the task requirements at any time. Each task will be worth 5, 15, 30 or 60 points depending on difficulty, but you only care about those points if you're competing in the team competition. If it's just poor, lonely you then you only need to complete one task in the whole qualifier. You are also welcome to suggest a name for the task, if you want. Anyway, enough talk. Here's the first game:

Game 1: You Have To Save Everyone But There Isn't Much Time!
Tasks:
Save everyone! (5 points)
This game has no highscores, so all that's required for proof of score is an end game screen like this, with the chat tab visible and your name in the top right corner:

Game #2: Raider: Episode 1
Tasks:
Game Complete (you can do this on any difficulty) - 15 points
Score more than zero points - 30 points
Finish with an S Rank - 60 points
Remember to have the end game screen plus your name in the high scores etc. The example screenshot is worth 30 points:

Game #3: The Submachine Games! Which one? All of them! (Well, the ones with numbers that aren't 0 or 32 anyway).
Tasks:
Complete either Submachine 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 - 15 points
Complete 8 Submachine games - 50 points
Some of the submachine games have high scores, some don't. When they don't you'll need the end game screen, like so (remember the chat tab and your user name in the top right):

For the ones that do have api, you just need to provide a screeny showing your name in any high score list.

Game #4: Manufactoria
Tasks:
Complete 'Robolamp' - 5 points
Complete 'Androids' - 15 points
Complete all 28 regular levels - 30 points
Complete all 3 bonus levels and the user-created level 'Trinity' by Johannes13 - 60 points
To load the trinity level, select the 'Shared' tab and click the 'Browse Them All' link (if the Shared tab is not there, use the ‘See all custom levels’ link on the ‘Game’ tab). Select sort by 'Top Rated' and it should be the first one. When If you manage to complete Trinity, pm me the level code instead of posting the solution in the thread. An explanation as to how your solution works would also be nice but is not required.
The api for manufactoria is broken, so just the chat tab & username for everything else:

This screenshot is worth 30 points.

Qualifier Game #5: A Trashy Love Story
Tasks:
Complete Level 5 - 5 points
Complete all 21 regular levels - 15 points
100% Completion - 30 points
Have your score visible in the today/this week/all-time/friends tab:

Game #6: rgbTD0: Before The Guns
Tasks:
Unlock Level 5 - 5 points
Score 5000 points total - 15 points
Get a gold medal on every level - 30 points
Have your 'highScore-high' score visible in the today/this week/all-time/friends tab:

Game #7: Meat Boy Map Pack
Tasks:
Complete the level Elevator To Heaven - 60 points
Video is required as proof of completion. Note that in the finals, video will also be required as proof of score. I do not have an example video.

Spreadsheet

Flag Post

Looks interesting, and quite complicated.

By the way, the player’s weight link isn’t working.

Flag Post

photo Qualifier_zpsee8827af.jpg

Le done.

Flag Post

Just basing off these opening posts, I have extremely high hopes for this tourney.
I’ll find my teams and stuff and retain the info more sometime later, but for now, here’s my main qualifying score!

Flag Post

Flag Post

Like this?

Flag Post

Name suggestion for game #1, badge #1:

Hero of the Sixth-Minute

Flag Post

Name suggestions are pretty awesome

Half Minute Hero

I’ve made an alphabetical list of the artists who recorded the songs, but sadly the letters of each artist got mixed up

So what you’re saying by this is that those are anagrams of the artists, correct?

Flag Post
Originally posted by BadgeHuntersAnon:

Looks interesting, and quite complicated.

By the way, the player’s weight link isn’t working.

Originally posted by AdeebNafees:

Like this?

Originally posted by MyNameIsNothing:

So what you’re saying by this is that those are anagrams of the artists, correct?

Yes, fixed, yes and yes.

Flag Post

Name suggestion: One Minute Man

Flag Post

Flag Post

Cool choice of game. I also recommend his game 1, 2, 3 not for the contest but as a quick and awesome game to play.

Flag Post

Let’s do this!

Flag Post

This is my screenshot for qualifying:

Flag Post
Originally posted by LouWeed:

Winners, Teams, Prizes

. To find out each player’s weight, consult this list.

1.40, really? Just 3 tournaments? =P

Flag Post

I wanted to enter the next tournament but this seems a bit too convoluted for me.

Flag Post

1.30, 4 tournaments… Er…

Posted my up-to-date places in PM.

Flag Post

Well after those three tournaments I got 2 wins and a 6th place (last tournament).

Flag Post

Worth a medium IMHO.